My Mule scales

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
carrot

My Mule scales

Post by carrot »

As far as I know my scales are one of a kind! I realized that the expense adding up of scales for each of many Mules will probably get out of hand so I decided to make a single investment once that can be reused. I contacted a custom maker who had expressed interest in making scales for the Mule and was comfortable working with my favorite scale material, canvas Micarta, and told him what I was looking for. He was pretty sure he could do it and after some crazy material supplier hijinx, has finally delivered!

By now you may all be wondering what makes these scales so special... they are designed to be removed and transplanted onto new Mules as they come in. I had to talk to several people to find someone who I thought could deliver exactly what I was looking for and found some other people whom I'll probably order from for permanent scales when I get a Mule in a steel I really like.

As you can see, I already plan on putting my Mule through its paces, no shelf queening for me!
Latest :spyder: -- Blurple Para2
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

nice scales....did you make sure that the pins will fit in the different size holes that will be on the next mule set?
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
Mr.Sparkitle

Post by Mr.Sparkitle »

Those scales look great. Now just get a sheath and rock it EDC style.
carrot

Post by carrot »

tonydahose wrote:nice scales....did you make sure that the pins will fit in the different size holes that will be on the next mule set?
Of course! I had the holes enlarged to the size that Sal said the new ones would be.

And I do have a sheath... but it's now on my belt so I didn't feel like taking pictures of it.
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

carrot wrote:Of course! I had the holes enlarged to the size that Sal said the new ones would be.

And I do have a sheath... but it's now on my belt so I didn't feel like taking pictures of it.
just making sure :) ...enjoy it and tell us how it works.
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
GeorgeMaggos

Nice Scales

Post by GeorgeMaggos »

Hey carrot,

Those are nice handles really nice work I really like canvas micarta also. I had some made to be interchangeable as well for my mule & I am very pleased with them. Thanks for sharing them with us :)

~George
[CENTER]
~~~~~~~~~~
"The test of courage comes when we are in the minority.
The test of tolerance comes when we are in the majority. "[/CENTER]

[CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

[CENTER]Even though you can't see Him, GOD has always been there for you <><[/CENTER]
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

Hey carrot,

Nice Mule Team knife. I see many people are having scales made that are interchangeable. I think that is a great idea, but I have a small question, has it been established somewhere that the future Mule Team knives are going to have the exact same handle shape? Thanks,

-Jay
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
carrot

Post by carrot »

Jay_Ev wrote:Hey carrot,

Nice Mule Team knife. I see many people are having scales made that are interchangeable. I think that is a great idea, but I have a small question, has it been established somewhere that the future Mule Team knives are going to have the exact same handle shape? Thanks,

-Jay
Yes. The point of the Mule team is to offer many steels in the exact same pattern to make comparison easier. My only worry is that the new Mules, which will be cut with different size holes will not fit my scales -- but seeing as I had my Mule modified to the new size hole that Sal mentioned I should be OK. If anything it was a good experiment in adding handles to a knife blank.

I don't know if the guy who made my scales is interested in making more but for interested parties I'm willing to share.
minnshooter

Post by minnshooter »

Very nice, I am jealous