Why don't Butcher shops have saw dust on the floors anymore?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

java
Location: Rosamond - Tropical Paradise without the tropics.....(or the paradise)

Post by java »

It's been relocated to the ground beef selections.........IN the ground beef!

:D
j
When I said that mercy stood
Within the border of the wood
I meant the lenient beast with claws
And bloody swift dispatching jaws.

Death Before Decaf!
!
:spyder:
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Maybe the board of health stopped the lumber yard from working out of the butcher shop.....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
Michael Cook

Post by Michael Cook »

:spyder: I'm guessing because it's gross and impossible to keep from tracking out of the shop. Bleached tile's much cleaner. :spyder:
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
Big footed nick

Post by Big footed nick »

I haven't been around that long but why would a butcher shop have saw dust on the floor?
:spyder:
Blackhair

Post by Blackhair »

To make cleanup easier after all that blood spilled on the floor.
Back from an extended hiatus.
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

I'm thinking most of the butchering is now done at the back of the shop, where customers never go. There might be mountains of saw-dust back there.
"The World is insane, with small pockets of sanity here & there. Not the other way around."

:spyder:-John Cleese- :spyder:
Blackhair

Post by Blackhair »

There might be mountains of saw-dust back there.
I disagree. I think that Michael Cook is right in his assessment on the use of bleach.

I work in a kitchen, and while we don't do butchering, we do cut up raw meat for meals sometimes, and so, blood gets on stuff. we always use industrial cleaners to get it off; works like a charm.
Back from an extended hiatus.
jimbo@stn24

Post by jimbo@stn24 »

When my Dad and I butchered, we used it as a safety enhancement and for ease of cleanup as was mentioned. No, we wouldn't have meat on the floor, but it seemed as the floor would get slippery over time, and without sawdust, it was only a matter of time before someone would slip and it didn't matter much what you had for footwear. Often we wore cowboy boots as you basically stand for 8 to 14 hours at a time and it seemed easier on you, but as you can imagine they aren't known for tractive abilities. If you are packing a 135# or so hind, you really want your feet to stay under you. We never would have worked without sawdust on the floor in the back, the front we left sawdust free but eventually it would make its way up there.

It is a pain though tracking sawdust all over the place, in your vehicle, etc.. Hoping that helps.
WTC #1455
Zwaplat

Post by Zwaplat »

Matters of hygiene. I wouldn't want meat that came from a shop where there is sawdust all over the place.
Help science, join Folding@Home !
jimbo@stn24

Post by jimbo@stn24 »

Zwaplat wrote:Matters of hygiene. I wouldn't want meat that came from a shop where there is sawdust all over the place.
Believe me, the issue of hygiene in a good butcher shop has nothing to do with sawdust anymore than how the floor gets cleaned, never once had sawdust on the blocks or cut meat on the floor. :)

My Dad can tell horror stories of how facilities where he filled in for other butchers were cleaned and none had anything to do with sawdust, but rather a lack of interest in complete machine disassembly, good washing practice, and how you looked after the shop. I only worked at our shop and it was kept scrupulously clean. With all due respect Zwaplat, if you only knew the real issues of cleanliness in butcher shops you would know that sawdust on the floor is the least of your worries.
WTC #1455
flipe8

Post by flipe8 »

I'm pretty sure there is a butcher in town here whom still has sawdust on the floors as I very recently heard it in conversation.
Spyopera
SFKW sugilite Kiwi
CRK Small Sebenza 31
Far too many sold...:o

Trusting my own experience
Zwaplat

Post by Zwaplat »

jimbo, no disrespect meant (or taken, while we're at it). But I do know a lot about bacterial infections and parasites. I'm sure you didn't drop meat on the floor or tossed sawdust on your bench, but when you're walking through it, you get airborne particles anyway. Also, blood is a VERY good feeding ground for bacteria (it gets used in certain bacterial culture media), so imagine what you get in sawdust drenched in blood that's lying on the floor the whole day. Even when you clean it up every evening.

Of course, clean direct contact surfaces on the bench and in machines are more important than a spotles floor, but just the thought of all those things festering in that sawdust makes me want to turn vegetarian. :D
Help science, join Folding@Home !
butch

Post by butch »

there are wholey mats that are used at some shops that i know of there 1inch thick rubber and have drainage holes but they are a PTA to clean up
Lloyd R Harner III (Butch)
a step forward
working my way to a licence to drill
http://www.harnerknives.com
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

Vincent wrote:Why don't Butcher shops have saw dust on the floors anymore?
So when they drop a slice, they don't have to wash it before selling it.

:D
Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.
jimbo@stn24

Post by jimbo@stn24 »

Thanks for understanding Zwaplat. :)

The areas that are sometimes the worst for cleanliness is if the butcher is lazy and only removes the grinder head fully assembled and puts into the cooler to avoid washing and then uses it the next day,....or days... :eek: .

The saw is another area that is easy to take down and clean but sometimes only the tables are cleaned. This is something I did at the end of every day because it is so easy to do a really nice complete job but some people I think don't see it quite that way.
WTC #1455