VG-10, Surgical?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Slick

Post by Slick »

Ed Schempp wrote:VG 10 was developed for stainless grafting knives. It's ultra fine grain disrupts minimum tissue and gives a cleaner faster healing graft in the tree fruit industry...Take Care...Ed
No wonder my VG-10 Spyder bites heal so well...

You aren't calling me fruit-like are you?

I have a Wegner grafting knife and its steel is not nearly as 'surgical' as VG-10. My Wegner is a very good knife for a fruitman but in VG-10 it would be better.
Not really all that slick ;)
Kaizen

Post by Kaizen »

You sure could do emergency surgery with my VG-10 blade...
Also "Kaizen1" on BF, "ignoramus" on CPF & EDCF. "kaizenrei" on KF, "Kaizen" on USN.
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

I always thought surgical steel was the same as stainless, just it has extra protection against sharding.
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

Ed Schempp wrote:VG 10 was developed for stainless grafting knives. It's ultra fine grain disrupts minimum tissue and gives a cleaner faster healing graft in the tree fruit industry.
Ed I can understand why the aus-grain would be finer due to the vanadium, however it seems to be the carbide size would be far too large if the goal was to have maximum sharpness for minimal tissue disruption and Cold Steels VG-1 would be superior for that purpose. I would however be interested in any test data on VG-10, especially a picture of the microstructure.

In general, there are a number of high quality steels designed for razor blades, AEB-L/13C26 is such a steel. That is a stainless steel designed to have a small volume, <5% of very small carbides, < 1 micron. It is the stainless steel which current has the highest ability to take and hold a high polish at acute angles. The sharpest surgical instruments are made from diamonds and they have an edge much sharper than steels, they are about 10 atoms thick.

-Cliff
Zwaplat

Post by Zwaplat »

Iirc scalpels actually rust pretty easily. Of course they would, being really hard and brittle, and not expensive due to being disposable.
Help science, join Folding@Home !
SimpleIsGood229

Post by SimpleIsGood229 »

Simple Man wrote:I'v always looked at "Surgucal Steel" as any steel used in surgery, which can vary from the gurney to the bedpan. ;)
Ahhh...enlightenment! :D
God Bless Texas!
[RIGHT]Avatar courtesy of Dialex[/RIGHT]
Μολὼν λαβέ

2009 - Birth of the H-1 Spyderhawk! Thank you, Sal!