Traveling by Air with a Knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
CWO

Traveling by Air with a Knife

Post by CWO »

When you travel by air - how do you make sure you knife will be in your luggae at the other end? Since so much luggage is Xrayed and the fact that there is a knife(s) in your checked luggage isn't a secret - what do you do to lessen the chances that your knives might be stolen from your luggage?

Thanks,
CWO
Michael Cook

train hard and stay safe!

Post by Michael Cook »

:spyder: I keep a delica in my shaving kit in my checked luggage. :spyder:
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
rycen

Post by rycen »

When I travel I take a chain and wrap it around the frame of the suitcase.The I run the chain through the opening hole then padlock the ends.
We would rather be the knife in your pocket, because is "works" better, than the knife in your showcase, because it "looks" better.

sal
The CoPilot

Post by The CoPilot »

A little trick I've learned is to put the knife way inside a pair of socks that are rolled up together and then put the socks in my checked bag so they are "end up" when it goes through the X-ray (in other words, the knife is vertical when the bag is laying flat). It may show up as metal on the x-ray, but it won't look have a knife-like profile.
><> The most important blood trail leads to the Cross <><
C09 CoPilots My Specialty
Integrity is Being Good Even if No One is WatchingTM
Looking for: C04 Executive plain edge, C09 CoPilot plain edge with brass liners and a G-2 marked blade
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

some also zip tie the knife, through the spyder hole and around the handle.
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
CWO

Post by CWO »

tonydahose wrote:some also zip tie the knife, through the spyder hole and around the handle.

Interesting idea... thanks!
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

One tip I got from the Spydercrew when transporting knives or anything else. Is to include an inventory list in your suitcase, and to indicate that it's a copy. I'm nerdy enough to make a packing list anyways, so it was easy to do for me. Whenever someone opens my suitcase they will immediately see my detailed inventory list, with check marks from my pen, and that I have copies. It lets them know that I know when something was stolen. It seems to have been sufficient deterrent over the past years.

I also think it helps that my regular travel knives are hideously yellow! :D

Wouter
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-28-2024 Instagram
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I have a far simpler solution: I don't travel by air. ;)

It's been working for me for fifteen years :D
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

CWO wrote:Interesting idea... thanks!
you can also zip tie to part of your suitcase if there are any hooks or inside zippers.
My knives
Gollum

Post by Gollum »

I just got back from a trip.
I checked a bag with a SAK and a Salt 1.
At my departure point the xray is behind the counter so I waited for them to xray it before leaving since I locked it. (otherwise they break the lock)
Sure enough they wanted my key to search it (behind a barrier without me), so I told them I wanted to be present while they searched which didn't make them happy.
When they got to the inside side pocket the knives were in they spent all of about 2 seconds peaking in the pocket they were in, then zipped it shut.
What got their attention was my salt crystal deodorant and a small jar of shaving cream. (Who Knew :eek: ).
On my trip back the xray machine was downstairs so I had to make a decision to leave it unlocked or lock it and if they wanted to search, break the lock.
I left it unlocked and hoped for the best which worked out, my knives made it and no search (they leave a little slip notifying you if it was searched).
No easy solution: You want to lock it so they won't steal them, but you may end up with a broken lock, and if you don't lock it you make it easier for them to steal your stuff, that's why I took my Salt 1 and $11 WallyWorld closeout Super Tinker, keep any potential loss to a minimum.
I like Yab's solution!
Hope this helps.
MAT888

Post by MAT888 »

In some suitcases you can reach the frame hidden below the covering. Get a zippy around it and through the spyderhole.

Normally these ' cargothugs ' mostly hired for handling our suitcases only have the change to undo our suitcases from our goods in the plane itself as the conveyor system is monitored by camera's nowadays.

So they only have a short time for searching our goods and pick the stuff they can quickly hide. A zip tied item takes to much time for them to retreive especially when they don't carry a knive or nippers....

I also like mr. Blonde's idea allthough normally i'm not that efficient when travelling. :cool:
AND THESE YELLOWS AREN'T UGLY!!!!
enyong112

Post by enyong112 »

NativeAmerican wrote:A little trick I've learned is to put the knife way inside a pair of socks that are rolled up together and then put the socks in my checked bag so they are "end up" when it goes through the X-ray (in other words, the knife is vertical when the bag is laying flat). It may show up as metal on the x-ray, but it won't look have a knife-like profile.
I'll try that... cause what i do i put the knife inside my toiletry bag together w/ nail clippers, and they still find it... covering it up cloth would lessen the profile of the knife? sorry i dont know a lot about xrays... :D
Cool as Ice... Clear like Water...
Lostification
Location: Sunset Beach - Haleiwa - Oahu - Hawaii - USA - Earth - Milky Way - 2ZS467 XD1 211 - Ä↔ôáÖºî±&#

Post by Lostification »

I had my Tom Mayo knife stolen from the Raleigh airport in North Carolina. Of course I filed all the paper work and such, it was gone. Somebody got himself a nice knife. What I'm gonna do now is gift wrap my para-military in the original box and write "Happy Birthday Son" on it. :D Haha! And if they steal that, then... Well... I just gift wrapped it for them, lol!

If it's even possible, I don't put it in my luggage, I mail it advance to wherever I'm going and insure it. Only problem is, this time I don't have anyone to mail it to in AZ. I suppose I could mail it to the motor home rental company, haha! That or gift wrap it.

btw, you guys know all the TSA has to do is cut the zip tie to steal the knife right? lol
Para-Military - CPM S30V
Delica - VG-10
Tasman Salt - H1
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

or better yet leave home without one, when you land make a beeline for the nearest spyderco dealer, buy one (write it off as a business expense ;) ) then on your last day there on the way to the airport drop it off in the mail back to your house. :D you will be delighted to open up the "new knife". it's almost like getting a 2 for 1 deal.
My knives
Lostification
Location: Sunset Beach - Haleiwa - Oahu - Hawaii - USA - Earth - Milky Way - 2ZS467 XD1 211 - Ä↔ôáÖºî±&#

Post by Lostification »

Man, I wish we could insure our luggage, lol! :p
Para-Military - CPM S30V
Delica - VG-10
Tasman Salt - H1
MAT888

Post by MAT888 »

Yeah Tonydahose,
Fun of travelling is googling in advance for decent retailers. No hastle with customs and the joy of coming home and expecting new stuff in the mail... Which I could write anything of as bussiness expence... hahaha....
LOL
twca

"End-Up"

Post by twca »

I second the advice on orienting the knife "end-up" so the profile does not show the blade from the flat/wide perspective. This is how I now travel with folders (after verifying they are legal in my destination AND transfer countries!).

My old method was to simply toss a Dragonfly or Ladybug (air knives par excellence) into the coin bin with the rest of my stuff -- "back then", nobody even noticed them 90% of the time, and most never questioned them when they did (with one or two exceptions, easily explained away, didn't lose them).

Best policy is honesty when you're not checking them, but if checked, just use common sense to not announce their presence.
The General

Post by The General »

This end up thing is nonsense! I know for a fact that modern xray machines are capable of multiple angles and this simply will not fool any machine.

Then there is the fact the people who steal the knives are usually baggage handlers who NEVER see the xray image at any point and you have a list of advice that is Snoopes worthy! :p
My real name is Wayne :D
Tank

Post by Tank »

My luggage has a liner so I unzip it and just us a velcro strap to the frame then zip the liner back up and pack. As said they don't have time to completely unpack your back and take your luggage apart. Unless maybe the spotted wires attached to a battery or something. :D
-John
wec12

Post by wec12 »

Well... Here is my story. Last December I went TX and it was around Christmas time. I put my Tasman Salt back in its original box and wrapped with "Christmas Wrapping Paper"... That's not it... On the box, I wrote "Dear Dad, Merry Christmas and be safe out there!" Then, my Tasman Salt was safe and sound :p .
█ Copycat :mad: █
█ A.K.A. Mr.Dissector █
█ "Think before You Cut" --- Sal Glesser. █