What Model is This?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
i_am_jim

What Model is This?

Post by i_am_jim »

Several years ago I bought this knife and have been happy with it. Last week I lost it. For about five days I've been trying to get the company to reply to my messages asking for the model name/number so I can get another. Three emails -- no replies. So, I thought I'd ask here. I'm not a knife enthusiast. I'm old as dirt and have carried a pocket knife all my life. I like the knife because it is small and light. So, does anyone know the model number of this knife? And, please don't hassle me because it's not a "he-man's" knife. :D

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
foggy

Post by foggy »

It looks to be a jester, and I am not jesting ether! Welcome to the forums!
The sharper they are the less they hurt when you cut yourself. :spyder:
Gollum

Post by Gollum »

Name- Jester
Model- JBK

They have been discontinued this year but are still easy to find.
Couldn't recommend more highly the Burgundy Micarta version (JBMP)- not so easy to find and not too cheap.
Padawan

Post by Padawan »

You may also want to check out the Ladybug 3 (Model LBK-3). It's readily available, about the same size as your Jester was, and has had some improvements made to it recently.
i_am_jim

Post by i_am_jim »

Yes. That's it. When I saw the name I remembered. Thanks a lot.

Amazing. My previous knife was a Kershaw Lil' Buddy. The, or one of the, original Kershaw knives. I loved it because of the beautiful inlaid (rosewood I think) handle. I carried it for almost 30 years. They too had been discontinued two years before I lost it and I was unable to find one. Oh, well . . .

Thanks again. I'm heading out to google for a Jester.
JD Spydo

Jester

Post by JD Spydo »

It's the JESTER. It's the brother to the LADYBUG. I think those were made with AUS-6 blade steel. You need something bigger than that though.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
Blackhair

Post by Blackhair »

You need something bigger than that though.
No he doesn't, for most every day uses, a 1 3/4" blade is perfectly fine. Besides, he said he liked it because it was small and light.

One that I've had my eye on is the Dragonfly. The addition of a pocket clip over the Jester/Ladybug would probably reduce those annoying fumbles in your pocket to try and find your knife (not sure if that's a problem for you, I'm just speaking from my own experience.
Plus, the Dragonfly has AUS-8, as opposed to AUS-6 for the Ladybug
Back from an extended hiatus.
i_am_jim

Post by i_am_jim »

I found them. As long as we're at this, what's the advantage of the serrated edge? Seems like they'd be the devil to sharpen -- how is it done?

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

I use a knife for the kinds of things a knife at hand is used for, opening boxes, cutting rope, cutting/carving pieces of wood in a pinch for special purpose, slitting tree bark, cutting corrugated cardboard to size, etc. - I'm grasping here.
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

i_am_jim,

Welcome to the forum. They make special stones to sharpen serrations. They are not has hard as you may think. For a knife that small I am not sure that I would want to have serrations.

I would like to know how well the Jester has served you? How many years have you used it? Has it stood up well? I'm assuming so since you want another one.

Thanks. :)
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
Thalestin

Post by Thalestin »

I have a jester on my keychain. Love the little bugger=).
cobrajoe

Post by cobrajoe »

I don't know David, serrations on those little knives adds huge cutting power. I'd prefer my CE ladybug over my PE starling any day, even though the starling has a better handle and better steel (not to mention better looks).

The teeth on the SE model would most certaintly help with rope, cardboard, tree bark, and even sharpening pencils, but it can be a little trickier to sharpen. Speaking of sharpening, serrations will last a lot longer before needing sharpening. As far as wood carving and other very precesion cutting, PE would work better. SE is great, but you won't like it till you try it :D

Annother couple blades to look at would be the ladybug 3 (same handle as the jester, but better steel), or the byrd starling and finch models (cheaper, but a great value for the price).

Have fun shopping!
MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE
i_am_jim

Post by i_am_jim »

David Lowry wrote:For a knife that small I am not sure that I would want to have serrations.
What's the value? I don't scale fish. ]I would like to know how well the Jester has served you? [/QUOTE]
I'm not sure how to answer that. I actually stumbled onto it. When I found I couldn't replace my Kershaw (which I'd still buy in a minute if I could) I walked into a gun shop near me and explained what I needed and the clerk showed me about 3-5 small knives. The Jester was the nearest to the Kershaw (though really quite different). I loved how light it was. I have never regretted the choice and felt lucky I'd found it. Years ago I carried a Case knife. The softer steel was easier to sharpen but didn't hold the edge, so had to be sharpened regularly. Today, knives are harder to sharpen, but hold the edge MUCH longer. The Jester is no exception. It's done it job very well.

This Kershaw Rouge is very similar to the Lil' Buddy
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
Another similar knife:
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
By the way, after my last post I remembered when I bought mine. I bought it the year Kershaw went into business under that name, 1972.
How many years have you used it?
I'm not sure. Probably about five years.
Has it stood up well?
Like the day I bought it.
DRod

Post by DRod »

Thats great. I carry my stainless jester on my keychain daily. I even sandblasted the gloss of the handle for more grip and its held up well. However the steel is noticably softer than any other of mine and has rolled at the plain edged tip a few times. But once its sharp its SHIZZARP. Im seriously contemplating an FRN Ladybug 3 in the near future. I just might order one tonight.
In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey.
Give us clear vision, that we may know where to stand and what to stand for - because unless we stand for something, we shall fall for anything.
~ Peter Marshall, US Senate Chaplain 1947
i_am_jim

Post by i_am_jim »

Okay, I bought the serrated edge. Figure it's the only way I'll fine out if I like it. Hope I can still find the plain blade in a month if I change my mind.

Thanks again to everyone for all the help.
DRod

Post by DRod »

Thats another great thing, they're pretty cheap. :)
In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey.
Give us clear vision, that we may know where to stand and what to stand for - because unless we stand for something, we shall fall for anything.
~ Peter Marshall, US Senate Chaplain 1947
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Jim, if you can't find one, send me a private message and I'll hook you up ;)
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

i_am_jim wrote:... I like the knife ...
Hi,

Me too! :D Try to catch the Jester Micarta as long it's possible for a reasonable price (Micarta Jester is on the right side).

Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
WOTANSON1

Post by WOTANSON1 »

Hi Jim,
I'm glad you picked a serrated edge knife, you will find it packs so much more cutting power into a smaller blade, it will also stay sharp for a much longer time then a plain edge knife. However serrated edges can be a ***** to sharpen without a Sharpmaker (Spyderco's all around sharpening system), and I can understand you might not want to spend the cash on another sharpener. As the founding member of the International Order of the SpyderEdge I'd be more than happy to sharpen your serrated knife for you whenever it needs it. Feel free to PM me if that's something you'd like to do.
Cheers,
Rob
International Order of the SpyderEdge-founding member

Faith, Folk and Family

If you can read this, thank a Teacher.
If this is written in English, thank a US Soldier

NOT my "president"

Proud Member of SOSAK
i_am_jim

Post by i_am_jim »

Just to be sure I beat this dead horse thoroughly. Does anybody know why they discontinued this seemingly popular knife?

Note: I made a half-hearted effort to find the Micarta handle but quit and went with the one I know and like.
Th232

Post by Th232 »

i_am_jim wrote:Just to be sure I beat this dead horse thoroughly. Does anybody know why they discontinued this seemingly popular knife?

Note: I made a half-hearted effort to find the Micarta handle but quit and went with the one I know and like.
The forum's opinion doesn't always coincide with the general public's opinion. I think the reason was that they wanted a pointier knife for some reason. :(
Will

"No one wants to look the fool. Everyone does the best they can. If they knew better, they'd do better" - old woman on the railway tracks to Sal.