Waved low-ride Delica 4 = Ultimate EDC?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mox

Waved low-ride Delica 4 = Ultimate EDC?

Post by Mox »

I've been playing with my waved Endura and I like it quite a bit. The blue color blends in with jeans well, too.

The Endura is just a little big for my everyday pocket needs. I think that a waved Delica 4 with a low-ride clip would be my ultimate EDC knife.

The Delica 4 comes out soon, when will the waved one be out?

Sal, any ETA on the low-ride clips?

This is the type of knife I've been waiting for for so long!
STR

Post by STR »

I counted up how many knives I've Waved so far since getting Ernie Emerson's permission to do them and have quite a few I've done for myself also and I didn't realize how many there were. 28 all total so far. I've since added a comprehensive list of the ones that have worked or will work on my homepage link under the I now have permission to do Waves thread.

One thing I've learned in doing them is that they seem to work better if there is actually a little bit of the knife sticking out of the pocket to get a hold of. The ones that sit lower need a lanyard to help get them out as efficiently as possible which is counter to the idea of a low rider clip. I've got a couple I did myself that either had low rider clips on them to begin with (BenchMade 420 Resistor) or I put one on it and I've found that the low rider or fold over style clips make it that much harder to get a grip on them to pull the knife out and make the Wave work as effortlessly as it should.

Just a thought I thought I'd share from my own observations and it is just my own two cents worth. I actually did use a knifekits low rider on my most recent Waved knife which is my Para Military but mounting it where I did worked well since there is still plenty to get your hand on. The nice tacky feel of the G10 really helps a lot in getting it out also. Knives with smooth slick surfaces also seem to be counter to the idea of being able to deploy the Waved knife as fast and effortlessly as possible.

STR
It is not necessary to do extraordinary things in life but only to do ordinary things extraordinarily well.

STR's Blog
Mox

Post by Mox »

Interesting points STR. I can see how this would be a problem, perhaps more necessary with a waved knife.

I find that I usually use my right hand index finger to pull up on the bottom of the clip as I also grasp the knife with my thumb. This works well iwith all of the knives I currently own.

Some clips stick out further than others at the bottom. On a clip such as the one on the SOG Flash series it works really well. Same goes for the Sypderco wire clips. The standard Spyderco clip doesn't work quote as well but I don't have a problem with it.

Either way, a waved delica will be a wonderful thing. I'm supposed to be getting a dremel for xmas and my first project is going to try to wave a delica I've had banging around here for awhile (I like the Salt I's better so I don't carry my delica much anymore).
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

My EDC/EDU is a Delica FRN with plain-edge and I will change it to waved Delica 4 FRN with plain-edge as soon as it will be available.

I've also a waved Endura too and for my purpose it works and looks very well. But it's a little to big for the poor work I do with it.

So let's hope it will come out very soon! :)
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

Yeah Mox , it'd be hard to find a better EDC than a waved Delica....maybe a waved ZDP189 Calypso Jr? :p
brian
"All paths lead back to the Spyderhole..."
Mox

Post by Mox »

jaislandboy wrote:Yeah Mox , it'd be hard to find a better EDC than a waved Delica....maybe a waved ZDP189 Calypso Jr? :p
I'm afraid that waving a Caly Jr would make it one of the ugliest knives on the planet! (Although the waved Endura won't win any beauty contests.)

It would have the great benefit of making it carry Tip Up, which I would like very much.

As much as I like the wave feature, I can't imagine a knife as refined as the Caly having such a lowly proletariat feature! :D
jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

Yeah Mox the sleek good looks of the Cally Jr would be ruined by the Wave...but a Waved Tasman Salt would be a pretty cool EDC! :cool:
brian
"All paths lead back to the Spyderhole..."