Knife Balance?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
thorin hammer

Knife Balance?

Post by thorin hammer »

That's my question. What makes a knife a balanced knife? How can you test a knife for balance?

Ehh, supposed to be Thorin... : )
The Stare

Post by The Stare »

I believe the word balance is usually used in the common sense when discussing knives. It might well be used in an aesthetic sense also.

In general, people talk about where the balance point of a knife is. For folders, the best balance point is usually regarded as the place on the handle where the index finger rests on the handle. Also, balance points at the guard are acceptable.

I beleive that the goal when balance is discussed is to have a knife that doesn't feel particularly heavy bladed or handled. However, when long-bladed knives have chopping as a primary use, one wants them to be blade heavy, with the balance point out near the "sweet spot" along the blade. With the blade heavy knife, less exertion is needed at the handle to chop. The extra weight of the blade does a lot of the work for you.

For fighting knives, many wish to have the knife somewhat handle heavy. It is desirable to have the blade feel light, and very easy to maneuver. Many fighting knives have distal tapers to the blades. Because light weight equals speed, such knives may even have a tapered tang also, but still need to remain handle heavy.

I may be completely at sea on this, but I believe that explains the primary concerns about balance in knives.

Stare
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

I only know of balance as it concerns Throwing knives, and I doubt sydies would be thrown(at least by any sane person).

normally you want your thrower so that the weight is oppositie what you throw.
>a blade heavy thrower is best, as it throws from handle well.
>a handle heavy knife is good for low spin ratios(1.5-2), as you can throw blade, and have it spin around the handle.

I throw blade heavy, as I can to either handle or blade throws with them. My best is a 60/40 weight ratio from Hibben.

Concerning folders, I don't beleive balance is much of an issue. However, handle heavy folders would allow for better manipulations. Blade heavy folders would seem clunky, making more effort required to index.

We all start with 10 fingers. Those with Spydies have 9 to spare, Still need a thumb. Good thing I still have 8 to spare...
sal

Post by sal »

Just an opinion to share on throwers. an object twirling through space will seek it own center and spin around that center. If the blade is heavy, then the handle will actually have a larger arc than the blade and therefore have a greate chance of hitting.

sal
aj1985

Post by aj1985 »

Want to hear more discussion on this.

aj
Live in every breath

INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE
AKWolf

Post by AKWolf »

Yes , my GB is a mean throw at range.. :spyder: ...
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

The Manix 2 is an Excellent thrower and the balance on it is pretty nice. That ball lock is amazing stuff i tell you. For the manix two i find it balances on my finger in the first choil. The one before the blade choil. I usually throw knives Straight Shuriken style. Release is key for this type of throw. Also not the best suited for long throws. I do some flip throws every now and then but prefer the Straight throw. I usually test a knife's balance on my finger. I see where it actually balances out at. Some i can even balance on the tip of my finger.
Murdoc

Post by Murdoc »

Talk about resurrecting a zombie thread!!

9 years old.... is that a new record?

Interesting topic though... :D

Dennis
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

A definite zombie thread resurrection... cool.

When it comes to knife balance in general, I find that the proper balance for a particular knife varies with its intended application. Knives that require extreme control, like scalpels and wood carving knives, have most of their weight in the handle to allow precise application of the blade.

General purpose knives typically do well with a neutral balance right near the index finger. This allows the user to feel the heft of the knife and make use of the entire length of the blade while still maintaining a high degree of control.

Blade-heavy knives are typically choppers. They have a weight-forward balance that allows them to be swung with greater momentum and power.

As for throwers, I am always amused to hear that a knife is "perfectly balanced for throwing." In general, there are three possible types of balance: handle heavy, blade heavy, and center balanced. There are throwing techniques for all three. As such, "perfectly balanced for throwing" isn't all that special a qualification.

The basic rule is that you grip the light end of the weapon and swing the heavy end when you throw. Center-balanced knives can be thrown by either the blade or the handle. If you'd like to learn more about this, here's a link to a clip from the segment I did for the Discovery Channel's "Time Warp" show:

http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/time-wa ... ysics.html

Can you throw a Spydie? You bet! I've been throwing Delicas and Enduras for years--typically by the handle with a vertical orientation for a no-spin or single-spin throw. They also throw by the blade with a "sportsman's grip" for half spins.

Stay safe,

Mike
Michael Janich
Spyderco Special Projects Coordinator
Founder and Lead Instructor, Martial Blade Concepts
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

cool video, i like watching that show but must have missed that episode.
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

The great thing about throwing a Manix2 is you likely won't break it and regardless of which end hits the target it's going to hurt like **** =p
phaust

Post by phaust »

Michael Janich wrote:A definite zombie thread resurrection... cool.

When it comes to knife balance in general, I find that the proper balance for a particular knife varies with its intended application. Knives that require extreme control, like scalpels and wood carving knives, have most of their weight in the handle to allow precise application of the blade.

General purpose knives typically do well with a neutral balance right near the index finger. This allows the user to feel the heft of the knife and make use of the entire length of the blade while still maintaining a high degree of control.

Blade-heavy knives are typically choppers. They have a weight-forward balance that allows them to be swung with greater momentum and power.

As for throwers, I am always amused to hear that a knife is "perfectly balanced for throwing." In general, there are three possible types of balance: handle heavy, blade heavy, and center balanced. There are throwing techniques for all three. As such, "perfectly balanced for throwing" isn't all that special a qualification.

The basic rule is that you grip the light end of the weapon and swing the heavy end when you throw. Center-balanced knives can be thrown by either the blade or the handle. If you'd like to learn more about this, here's a link to a clip from the segment I did for the Discovery Channel's "Time Warp" show:

http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/time-wa ... ysics.html

Can you throw a Spydie? You bet! I've been throwing Delicas and Enduras for years--typically by the handle with a vertical orientation for a no-spin or single-spin throw. They also throw by the blade with a "sportsman's grip" for half spins.

Stay safe,

Mike
Great info, thanks!

Do you have knives dedicated for throwing, or does the opportunity to throw a knife just come up and you throw what you have on you? The reason I ask is I was wondering if you have a knife dedicated to it if it has developed any blade play as a result.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Blerv wrote:The great thing about throwing a Manix2 is you likely won't break it and regardless of which end hits the target it's going to hurt like **** =p
Seems like all of a sudden I'm reading a lot of posts about throwing the Manix 2. That's quite a testament to the knife's design and materials. I may be a prude :D but throwing folders would not have occurred to me as a good thing for the knife.

Interesting thing about the Manix 2 in this thread is that the FFG sprints with the ventilated liners balance very differently than the HG production knives with solid liners. Neither is IMO better or worse, and the actual weight difference is trivial, but you really notice it when handling the knife.
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

Thanks for the clip, Mike! Very easy to understand explanation. I've usually thrown from the blade, but then again, most of my throwers have been handle-heavy so this makes sense.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

JNewell wrote:Seems like all of a sudden I'm reading a lot of posts about throwing the Manix 2. That's quite a testament to the knife's design and materials. I may be a prude :D but throwing folders would not have occurred to me as a good thing for the knife.

Interesting thing about the Manix 2 in this thread is that the FFG sprints with the ventilated liners balance very differently than the HG production knives with solid liners. Neither is IMO better or worse, and the actual weight difference is trivial, but you really notice it when handling the knife.
Oh I don't throw my knives. I could hardly get the actual throwing knives to stick let alone a folder.

I'm more of a rock or stick thrower personally. ;)