deployment of lil temp?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Burrellb

deployment of lil temp?

Post by Burrellb »

Mr. Janich, Do you know of the quickest way to get the lil temp into action? I have small hands and carry Lum folder and lil temp. Thanks for everything.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear Burrelb:

Thanks for the question.

The answer is: practice.

Seriously, the absolute fastest way to deploy a Lil Temperance is first to set it up for tip-up carry so you can grasp it, draw it, and open it without having to adjust your grip. Once you've done that, clip it in your pocket so the back of the closed blade is all the way back to the seam of your pants. This keeps the knife in a consistent position for the draw. Reach in deep with your thumb to grab the handle, and at the same time, hook either under the clothing clip or (through the material of the pocket) under the front of the knife to help lift it out of the pocket. Once it comes out, you should have a good grip and your thumb should be positioned near the blade hole for a thumb opening.

If you want to be even faster, use an inertial opening once the knife clears your pocket (this is best learned in an MBC class or via my video "Fighting Folders" as written words don't do it justice). This eliminates the need to touch the blade and speeds up the entire process.

Note that the inertial opening of any stock, off-the-shelf Spyderco knife is a matter of skill, not product design. Spyderco makes their knives so they stay closed the way they should and must be deliberately opened with reasonable force. Also, some companies consider inertial opening a form of abuse and reason for voiding a knife's warranty.

With all that said, you can get the draw and opening of a Lil Temperance or any other well-designed folder down to sub-one-second times with proper technique and practice.

I hope this helps.

Stay safe,

mike j
ZDP-189

Post by ZDP-189 »

THE Michael D. Janich is on this forum - WOW!!!!

It's unbelieveable how you get that Delica open - is it mofified in any way?
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear ZDP-189:

My Delicas are not modified in any way. They are stock items that I maintain very well, but they are not mechanically any different from out-of-the-box Delicas.

I'm not sure which deployment demonstration you saw (perhaps one of my videos?), but I can consistently draw and open a Delica from either strong-side pocket carry or back pocket in-the-pocket carry in les than a second.

Although having good tools certainly helps, having the skill to use them well helps more.

Stay safe,

mike j