Show your collections!

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
murphjd25

Re: Show your collections!

Post by murphjd25 »

The Meat man wrote:
Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:44 pm
murphjd25 wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:23 pm
Been a while since I’ve taken an updated collection photo. And of course I forgot one knife, my CPK Kephart, sorry Paul 🤣🤣
Nice!

Hang on - I don't remember you having 2 Shiros! You're in dangerous territory my friend. ;)
#2 just got here a couple of days ago 😁
Josh
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

These are just the ones not installed in pcs and still in one piece. I used to cut some of them in half and get the vrm's running to splice them into underpowered boards. Then you could push the gpu to higher clock speeds which uses more power than than the stock vrm's could ever produce. Msi Lightning and Evga Classified are good cards to pick up broken just to cut it in half. Evga actually made a stand alone vrm(it's leaning against the flower pot in the middle picture) along with Galax and Asus but the latter of which never made it to market.

Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:00 am
These are just the ones not installed in pcs and still in one piece. I used to cut some of them in half and get the vrm's running to splice them into underpowered boards. Then you could push the gpu to higher clock speeds which uses more power than than the stock vrm's could ever produce. Msi Lightning and Evga Classified are good cards to pick up broken just to cut it in half. Evga actually made a stand alone vrm(it's leaning against the flower pot in the middle picture) along with Galax and Asus but the latter of which never made it to market.

This collection is amazing, unfortunately I am not IT savvy . I have no idea what I am looking at ! :flushed
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
RevMike

Post by RevMike »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:49 am
ImageI am not sure how this got started. MG2 ;)
I'm pretty sure that not many people set out to collect those but it sure does just seem happen.
I got a laugh out of that and Id' never have considered mine a collection without your post.

404 :bug-red-white s in 81 steel flavors.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

RevMike wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:30 pm
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:49 am
ImageI am not sure how this got started. MG2 ;)
I'm pretty sure that not many people set out to collect those but it sure does just seem happen.
I got a laugh out of that and Id' never have considered mine a collection without your post.

My holy grail hat is one personally given to me by Tom Knapp when picking up a Benelli Legacy . I was at shop and owner was a friend of the family before I was born and couldn’t figure out why he kept stalling to get everything finalized . Then Tom walks in , When I shook his hand my hand disappeared . It was a day to remember. Dan
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
RevMike

Post by RevMike »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:46 pm
My holy grail hat is one personally given to me by Tom Knapp when picking up a Benelli Legacy . I was at shop and owner was a friend of the family before I was born and couldn’t figure out why he kept stalling to get everything finalized . Then Tom walks in , When I shook his hand my hand disappeared . It was a day to remember. Dan
That's pretty awesome.
404 :bug-red-white s in 81 steel flavors.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
That's very cool!
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Been waiting for this one to come for a long time! It's instantly become one of my favorite coins in my collection.

This is a silver tetradrachm from ancient Athens, struck around 454-404 BC, during the height of Athen's glory and power. This was the era of Pericles, Alcibiades, and Plato; the establishment of Athenian democracy; and the great works of Classical Art and architecture.
The Athenians minted huge quantities of these large silver coins in order to fund these vast ambitions. Some of them went to pay for building projects like the Parthenon, others helped fund the Peloponnesian War. They were among the most widely used and circulated coinage of their time.
The obverse shows the helmeted head of Athena, patron goddess of the city-state; the reverse shows an owl (symbol of Athena) with an olive branch and the letters ΑΘΕ, which is an abbreviation of ΑΘΗΝΑΙΩΝ ("Of the Athenians")
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

The Meat man wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:19 pm
Been waiting for this one to come for a long time! It's instantly become one of my favorite coins in my collection.

This is a silver tetradrachm from ancient Athens, struck around 454-404 BC, during the height of Athen's glory and power. This was the era of Pericles, Alcibiades, and Plato; the establishment of Athenian democracy; and the great works of Classical Art and architecture.
The Athenians minted huge quantities of these large silver coins in order to fund these vast ambitions. Some of them went to pay for building projects like the Parthenon, others helped fund the Peloponnesian War. They were among the most widely used and circulated coinage of their time.
The obverse shows the helmeted head of Athena, patron goddess of the city-state; the reverse shows an owl (symbol of Athena) with an olive branch and the letters ΑΘΕ, which is an abbreviation of ΑΘΗΝΑΙΩΝ ("Of the Athenians")
That's wild to be able and hold something older than the European settlement of America. I just watched a show that talked about all the times currency was debased in the Roman empire, pretty crazy. Some of the silver coins barely had silver but they would still be worth a lot now.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

The Meat man wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:19 pm

I always look forward to see your coins and the historicity behind them , it is such a pleasure. Thank you much ! Dan
Henry David Thoreau
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

RevMike wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:53 pm
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
That's pretty awesome.
Tom was doing two exhibitions in my area and G.M. Bartlemay Guns was a high end shop . Tom would always buy his ammo from George because of all his Beretta sale ratings . Tom asked if I was getting a hat with the Legacy and George replied he always gets a hat . Tom replied well not today he’s getting one of mine . I wanted to ask him to autograph it but didn’t want to seem ungracious with the gifted hat . He was bigger than life a very nice man . Dan
Henry David Thoreau
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Here is an interesting coin I recently acquired, featuring one of the most infamous emperors in Roman history:

Nero, AE sestertius, struck in Rome, A.D. 66
Obverse: IMP NERO CLAVD CAESAR AVG GER P M TR P P P, laureate head of Nero right
Reverse: PACE P R TERRA MARIQ PARTA IANVM CLVSIT, Temple of Janus with latticed windows to left and double doors to right with garland hung across; S C in field
34mm, 27.65g; RIC I 323; ex Numis, Gothenburg, Sweden, 1980

This coin is a 'sestertius', which was the largest-sized coin denomination used in the Roman Empire. Sestertii were made of a bronze alloy, averaged about 34mm in diameter and weighed close to an ounce. A sestertius like this one represented about half-a-day's wages for the average Roman laborer.

One can see in this portrait of Nero an obese young man accustomed to extravagant and decadent living. And in fact, Nero had only two more years to live after this coin was struck; in A.D. 68 the Roman Senate and upper classes finally had their fill of Nero's violence and debauchery, and forced him to abdicate and commit suicide.
- Connor

Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

The Meat man wrote:
Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:36 am
Here is an interesting coin I recently acquired, featuring one of the most infamous emperors in Roman history:

Obverse: IMP NERO CLAVD CAESAR AVG GER P M TR P P P, laureate head of Nero right
Reverse: PACE P R TERRA MARIQ PARTA IANVM CLVSIT, Temple of Janus with latticed windows to left and double doors to right with garland hung across; S C in field

This coin is a 'sestertius', which was the largest-sized coin denomination used in the Roman Empire. Sestertii were made of a bronze alloy, averaged about 34mm in diameter and weighed close to an ounce. A sestertius like this one represented about half-a-day's wages for the average Roman laborer.

One can see in this portrait of Nero an obese young man accustomed to extravagant and decadent living. And in fact, Nero had only two more years to live after this coin was struck; in A.D. 68 the Roman Senate and upper classes finally had their fill of Nero's violence and debauchery, and forced him to abdicate and commit suicide.
Beautiful! I always look forward seeing what you will come up with next .Janus was the two faced god , if I am correct ? Do you have any coins on your wish list in the future ? Dan
Henry David Thoreau
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:42 am
The Meat man wrote:
Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:36 am

Beautiful! I always look forward seeing what you will come up with next .Janus was the two faced god , if I am correct ? Do you have any coins on your wish list in the future ? Dan
You are correct. Janus is often pictured on bronze coins from the Republican period.
The doors to the Temple of Janus normally remained open; they were only closed when there was complete peace - no wars anywhere - within the entire Empire. Needless to say, this did not happen often; in fact there are only 5 times recorded where the Temple doors were shut.
In A.D. 66 Nero met with King Tiradates I of Armenia in order to resolve the conflict between their countries. This was done by Nero officially crowning Tiradates as King of Armenia, which sounded nice but pretty much just turned him into a client king of the Roman Empire.
Suetonius, the Roman historian writes:
"After this ceremony, the king (Tiridates I of Armenia, guest in Rome) was conducted to the theatre, and after kind words and showing his respect, Nero seated him on his right hand. Nero was then greeted by universal acclamation as Emperor, and he sent his laurel crown to the Capitol. Then Nero shut the temple of the two-faced Janus, as though there now existed no war throughout the Roman Empire"
Edit: I should add that this is what the reverse legend reads: "peace for the Roman people, on land and sea, and the doors of the temple of Janus are closed"
The Temple doors reopened when the First Jewish War broke out, later in the same year (A.D. 66)

As for coins on my wishlist, there are too many! ;)
I'd say right now, what I'd really like is a decent Imperial portrait coin of Caligula. He's the only one I'm missing from the Julio-Claudian dynasty, and one of the more expensive ones, since he reigned only 3-4 years before being assassinated. I had bids on a couple Caligula coins that recently sold at a CNG auction, but they went for higher than what I wanted to pay.

Someday I'd love to get a good portrait coin of Julius Caesar, but even a worn one typically costs around $1,000, so that probably won't be happening anytime soon if at all. :eye-roll

I also have yet to acquire a Roman Republican coin.
- Connor

Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I’m not sure if you have ever been to the Chicago Museum of Art . They have Gold leaf laurels that are unbelievable in detail . I spent a lot of time there and the Medieval section checking out armor and weapons . Thank you ! Dan
Henry David Thoreau
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Here is something from my collection. I've had it for a little while but only now got around to photographing it and writing the description. At around 3,500 years old, this is my oldest artifact:

With this short description taken from the Wikipedia article on the subject:
Scarabs were popular amulets and impression seals in ancient Egypt. They survive in large numbers and, through their inscriptions and typology, they are an important source of information for archaeologists and historians of the ancient world. They also represent a significant body of ancient art.

For reasons that are not clear (although likely connected to the religious significance of the Egyptian god Khepri), amulets in the form of scarab beetles had become enormously popular in Ancient Egypt by the early Middle Kingdom (approx. 2000 BC) and remained popular for the rest of the pharaonic period and beyond. During that long period the function of scarabs repeatedly changed. Primarily amulets, they were also inscribed for use as personal or administrative seals or were incorporated into jewelry. Some scarabs were created for political or diplomatic purposes to commemorate or advertise royal achievements. By the early New Kingdom, heart scarabs had become part of the battery of amulets protecting mummies.
Articles:
https://www.britannica.com/topic/scarab
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scarab_(artifact)
- Connor

Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Thank you for sharing , truly amazing piece of history. I like the story and significance of the piece. Dan
Henry David Thoreau
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 5:49 pm
Thank you for sharing , truly amazing piece of history. I like the story and significance of the piece. Dan
Thanks!
The history of Ancient Egypt is so fascinating. Awhile back I listened to the Teaching Company's 84-lecture series on Ancient Egypt and it is excellent. The time span is mind-boggling - an empire that existed for around 3,000 years!

Incidentally, the New Kingdom period (during which the above scarab was made) is regarded as the high point of Egyptian culture and power. Many of the most recognized Pharaohs came to power in this period - particularly those of the 18th Dynasty - Hatshepsut, the woman who ruled as Pharaoh; Thutmoses III her son, one of the greatest military Pharaohs in history; Akhenaten, the "Heretic Pharaoh" who tried to supplant traditional Egyptian religion with monotheism; and of course Tutankhamen his son, whose tomb was discovered by Howard Carter in 1922.
- Connor

TwitchVee

Post by TwitchVee »

Image[/img]
[url=https://postimg.cc/6TYkwKTf][img]h ... .jpg[/img][/url]

Image[/img]

Image[/img]

Image[/img]

just a few (;
Twitch Vee :usflag :woozy
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

TwitchVee wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:00 pm
Image[/img]
[url=https://postimg.cc/6TYkwKTf][img]h ... .jpg[/img][/url]

Image[/img]

Image[/img]

Image[/img]

just a few (;
Can't see the photos ? Welcome to the forum by the way!
- Connor