How Do Your Factory Seconds Look?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Re: How Do Your Factory Seconds Look?

Post by vivi »

on the other hand I got a K390 G10 Police for under $100, which is much cheaper than even the VG10 Police 3 I bought over a decade ago when prices were lower.
:unicorn
NarwhalisnotKosher

Post by NarwhalisnotKosher »

I can't figure out why it's a second. A couple minor snail trails? Edges of the scales look great,blade is straight, locks up perfectly, and the grind is even.
S120807

Post by S120807 »

My tenacious came in today with no clip. The entire clip was broken off and all that was left was the part where it was connected to the handle. Did anyone else get a second with a broken clip? And does anyone know where I could buy a replacement clip?

Thanks, Isaac
"Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
ChopSliceStab

Post by ChopSliceStab »

That's great - snail trails are an inconsequential fact of life with those scales anyway. The one in my pocket right now is covered in them and it certainly doesn't make me love the knife any less. Enjoy it.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

I’m jealous. If anyone has a spare second, let me know!
NarwhalisnotKosher wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:49 pm

I can't figure out why it's a second. A couple minor snail trails? Edges of the scales look great,blade is straight, locks up perfectly, and the grind is even.
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Order #2 arrived. I think I found the issue with this one. It looks like a tiny pinhole pit(?) in the blade. You can see it below the logo in the pic. Actually looks worse in the pic than it is. Otherwise everything's as it should be. Even the detent's pretty strong.

Awesome knife! Kind of odd actually. It has a beast of a blade but the handle feels small in the hand. The details on this knife are fabulous. I'll try to post some better pics later

That's all for me! I'm very happy with how this sale worked out for me. And I wasn't going buy anything lol
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

OK, I'm the odd man out, because the Parata is the only model I tried to buy. I like Paul's designs.

I don't know what makes this folder a second. Have looked it over carefully. The one thing I'm not familiar with is the stop lock. It feels like a positive lockup but I'm not sure how far down the stud is supposed to nestle into the handles. Like Ten Grain's post, the thumb studs don't go quite as far down when open, compared to closed--the lock toggle is a little proud of the handle as you can see in the photo. This may just be the nature of the beast. It also appears that the stop lock transfers some spring pressure onto the blade during the open, so this isn't a "spydie droppable" knife, it's tighter than that. It's no flipper. But again, I suspect that's just how the stop lock works. So I'm at a loss as to why this knife is considered a second.

The Parata is more formidable than I was expecting. It certainly folds a LOT of blade into a slim handle. I like that. Not a fan of "big handle small blade" knives.

Thanks Spyderco! Very happy with my second.
Attachments
Parata
Parata
Parata
Parata
Last edited by Bolster on Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

The Parata was designed by Paul Alexander but the Junior was designed by Alexander Diaconescu, not Paul Alexander. Similar styles though. I've actually used both the Junior and Ouroboros as backpacking knives, at which they both performed well for similar reasons.
- Nick :bug-red
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Mushroom wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:25 pm
The Parata was designed by Paul Alexander but the Junior was designed by Alexander Diaconescu, not Paul Alexander. Similar styles though. I've actually used both the Junior and Ouroboros as backpacking knives, at which they both performed well for similar reasons.

D'oh, you're right! Sorry Paul and Alex. Will correct my post. I can see they would make good backpacking knives for at LEAST two reasons: (1) for spreading peanut butter on all your food (including the freeze dried chicken cacciatore); and (2) they're very safe designs.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:15 pm
Order #2 arrived. I think I found the issue with this one. It looks like a tiny pinhole pit(?) in the blade. You can see it below the logo in the pic. Actually looks worse in the pic than it is. Otherwise everything's as it should be. Even the detent's pretty strong.

Awesome knife! Kind of odd actually. It has a beast of a blade but the handle feels small in the hand. The details on this knife are fabulous. I'll try to post some better pics later

That's all for me! I'm very happy with how this sale worked out for me. And I wasn't going buy anything lol

Wow! Lucky score SG! I believe you saved almost 200 give or take on this one, am I correct? If it was more lefty friendly, I would have attempted to snag one too. Truly a beast of a knife there.

P. S. how is the detent on this one? I love Taichungs but their detents can be hit or miss. I was assuming that the detent might have a flaw hence why it was marked as seconds.

Edit: d'oh, I missed your statement regarding the strong detent. My bad. That's a great score! :D
Last edited by nerdlock on Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

nerdlock wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:33 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:

Wow! Lucky score SG! I believe you saved almost 200 give or take on this one, am I correct? If it was more lefty friendly, I would have attempted to snag one too. Truly a beast of a knife there.

P. S. how is the detent on this one? I love Taichungs but their detents can be hit or miss. I was assuming that the detent might have a flaw hence why it was marked as seconds.
I paid $315 shipped. The dealers list them at $560

The detent is surprisingly strong. I expected it to be on the weak side. I was a little apprehensive because the integral handle makes it more difficult to take apart to fix. Don't have to worry about that now
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Very nice SG. Assuming this gets discontinued later and prices soar, that could be a deal of a century.

I'm waiting on Tko(rick's) assessment of his seconds too. :)

My first of 3 has arrived already at my shipper in NY, the P4 g10. I hope my other 2 orders will arrive soon. Then it will be another 2 weeks or so of waiting until I can see how did I fare in my Seconds sale. I'm much more excited about the Police since it is a knife design that I haven't had before, and it will be my first "large" knife.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

I'm so sad I missed everything. If anyone bought too many p4 lemme know.
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

I think maybe because it's not the latest CQI version with the blacked out screws...
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

It is most likely because of the snail trails.
- Nick :bug-red
anycal

Post by anycal »

Not sure what to make of it, but Spyderco may have sent me normal production version of Para 3 Maxamet. Seriously, other than the 'seconds' notch, I can't find anything. Straight, solid, not a scratch or mark anywhere.

Could be that they ran out of the seconds inventory, and pulled a regular one out of the box? :D

Peter
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Sharp Guy wrote:

Good for you bud!! A couple of nice scores for sure. Both look great.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
MrBro-W

Post by MrBro-W »

I just got my PM2 and Native 5 in today, both stainless and g10. The PM2 looks as perfect as I'd expect brand new. It maybe is just a little stiff to open right now, but perfect centering, detent and lock up.

The Native 5 has the most minimal worn look to the g10, maybe what others have described as that snail trail look if you catch it in the right light, but that's exactly what any of my used edc knives will look like in no time. It is, however, pretty stiff to open, even for the backlock. Haven't tried smoothing it out any yet though.

Both did come shaving sharp and I couldn't be happier! Got into 2 of the midtier Spydies for about $130 shipped, amazing deal!
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Forget the Spydiechef! What about that Shiro?? ;)
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:12 pm
Good for you bud!! A couple of nice scores for sure. Both look great.
Thanks Rick!