Stretch CQI - What do you guys think?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

sal wrote:Hi Conriocht,

Welcome to our forum.

It looks like we're not going to drop the current blade shape. We may offer several other shapes as Sprints to get market feedback.

sal
This to me sounds like the most logical way of doing things. If the sprints sell out like wild fire then you know there's a reason for it. I don't know how the sale on something like this goes but it may warrant two separate models if the demand is there. Will the deeper choil change be on all models though?

And Jack, you're crazy for not liking peanut butter LOL.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

D1omedes wrote:Anyone interested in a wharncliffe variant?
I'm down for anything in wharnie form. I may as well be the forum wharnie cheerleader. Unfortunately, I don't see a wharnie blade fitting inside the curve of the handle very well. Some models just won't work with a straight blade. They would likely have to change the kick so that the blade stuck out pretty far from the handle just to keep the tip from hitting the pommel area inside the handle.
~David
Janfrederik

Post by Janfrederik »

+1 to wharncliffe.
DedRok

Post by DedRok »

I have Divo on the ignore list from being an jerk to other users in another thread last week. He is constantly in a bad mood and isn't helpful. He has currently been a cancer to the forums... Please consider watching, warning or banning him.

On topic, tap78 these all look amazing!
tap78 wrote:
Spyderco please make a wire clip version of the Manbug/Ladybug!
D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

Evil D wrote:I'm down for anything in wharnie form. I may as well be the forum wharnie cheerleader. Unfortunately, I don't see a wharnie blade fitting inside the curve of the handle very well. Some models just won't work with a straight blade. They would likely have to change the kick so that the blade stuck out pretty far from the handle just to keep the tip from hitting the pommel area inside the handle.
Ah, I didn't know that there was that much adjustment needed to fit a wharncliffe blade. I assumed that since the Cento 4 looked so much like the Cento 3, that it was an easy swap. I've been wanting to test out a thin and light wharncliffe for a while now.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

FCM415 wrote:Any chance for some G10 action on a future Stretch?
Another curious mind would like to know, and when I could buy one!

On a semi-related note while we are talking Stretch sprints, with the recent comment by Sal that there would be a Ti Endura Damascus sprint to match the Delica version, why go with the two Nishijin colors for the Stretch Damascus sprints coming out versus doing the Stretch sprint in Ti? The SB sprints all match with their grey FRN handles. Just curious if anyone knew or if Sal wanted to comment... Guess that gives another steel option for a Ti handled Stretch!
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
sinkerslider

Post by sinkerslider »

conriocht wrote:Yep, the blade shape is my favorite thing about the Stretch. Otherwise, I might as well just get a Delica or Endura.
Holland wrote:deeper choil would be amazing, but please please please leave the blade shape
These two comments kind of sum up how I feel about the Stretch. I think the blade shape should be left as is, but would welcome a deeper more functional choil. I don't really use it much now, mostly because it doesn't feel that secure to me. However, I think offering the knife with additional blade shapes is a great idea, in different colors, too, a la the Delica and Endura lines. Whatever happens, I'll continue to use and enjoy the Stretch I do have, and try to get in on the new SB version.
sinkerslider

Post by sinkerslider »

sal wrote:Hi Conriocht,

Welcome to our forum.

It looks like we're not going to drop the current blade shape. We may offer several other shapes as Sprints to get market feedback.

sal
That sounds like a great idea. Count me in.
scout

Post by scout »

So, I bought the Stretch as an excuse to join the discussion. :) It is a very quick knife. The clip to pivot to hole ratio is pretty dead on.
I tend to prefer knives with less of a hump and the Stretch takes up a lot of pocket space. I would like to see something like a Chinook lite, but without the up-swept blade.
DedRok

Post by DedRok »

scout wrote:So, I bought the Stretch as an excuse to join the discussion. :) It is a very quick knife. The clip to pivot to hole ratio is pretty dead on.
I tend to prefer knives with less of a hump and the Stretch takes up a lot of pocket space. I would like to see something like a Chinook lite, but without the up-swept blade.
I propose a challenge for you.

Put all of your Spydercosa line.... close your eyes and open them all with the thumb hole without flicking them open. I did this and the Spyderco Stretch by far was the most comfortable & easy thanks to the oversized thumb hole and the ratio the hole is to the pivot.
Spyderco please make a wire clip version of the Manbug/Ladybug!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

D1omedes wrote:Ah, I didn't know that there was that much adjustment needed to fit a wharncliffe blade. I assumed that since the Cento 4 looked so much like the Cento 3, that it was an easy swap. I've been wanting to test out a thin and light wharncliffe for a while now.
It really depends on the shape of the handle. I've had a Stretch apart and the liner inside follows the curve of the blade pretty closely. They've squeezed in as much blade as they can get into that handle. The handle on the Centofantes is much straighter by comparison. It may be possible but I would think the blade would stick pretty far out from the handle.
~David
scout

Post by scout »

DedRok wrote:I propose a challenge for you.

Put all of your Spydercosa line.... close your eyes and open them all with the thumb hole without flicking them open. I did this and the Spyderco Stretch by far was the most comfortable & easy thanks to the oversized thumb hole and the ratio the hole is to the pivot.
I can also do it with my Barong even though the hole is smaller and hump less pronounced. That being said, the Stretch has been by far the easiest knife to get acclimated with.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

DedRok wrote:I have Divo on the ignore list from being an jerk to other users in another thread last week. He is constantly in a bad mood and isn't helpful. He has currently been a cancer to the forums... Please consider watching, warning or banning him.

On topic, tap78 these all look amazing!
I think numbers 4,6,7,and 9 all look like something I'd buy. The brown on that handle is especially nice. I have to add that the hump in on most Spydies, so what's the big deal on the Stretch? Just wondering. I personally think the Stretch is gorgeous art. Of those pics, 6 and 9 are the best.
- best wishes, Jazz.
araneae

Post by araneae »

I like 4, 6 and 10 the most. 6 looks like a little superleaf, which is one of my favorite spydie blade shapes.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

Does anyone have an idea how far off the re-design of the Stretch will be? New molds must take a while to adjust, right?
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

Blerv wrote:Of course, in a perfect world I'd love a sharpening notch and nearly 3.5" of cutting edge. :)
This.

Gordon
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

You know, before I saw the mockups, I'd have said that the current Stretch blade shape is perfect. I find it one of the most aesthetically pleasing Spydercos. But that pointy blade shaped like the PE blade in the Dyad with it's concave spine coupled with the Stretch handle is really speaking to me. I'd be in for one of those. I guess I like curves.

Gordon