C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mushroom

Re: C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Post by Mushroom »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:35 am
Mushroom wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:36 am
I would be very surprised if this is a fast seller and hard to get. I think those who want one, will get one easily.
Hey Mushroom I'm not trying to be disagreeable with you. But ask anyone who was around when they released the 2011 Sprint Run of the C-60. Even those were not around very long after their release. After about 4 months after the release I had two other friends that wanted one and I was only able to find one more. I've not been able to get any more of those 2011 Sprint Run C-60s since then either ( Unless you want to pay horrible Ebay prices for one). Ask anyone whose tried to find one in recent years if you don't believe me.
I believe you! I have a feeling this one will sell similar to, if not even a bit faster than, the 2011 sprint. :)
- Nick :bug-red
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

If they decide on Cruwear, they better make enough or let us forum supporters get first dibs because it’s going to be a feeding frenzy!
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Dazen wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:05 pm
If they decide on Cruwear, they better make enough or let us forum supporters get first dibs because it’s going to be a feeding frenzy!

If they're committed to doing half this run or whatever they decide the percentage is going to be in SE, this may be an opportunity to try out steels in SE that we normally don't see.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
benben

Post by benben »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:42 pm
Dazen wrote:

If they're committed to doing half this run or whatever they decide the percentage is going to be in SE, this may be an opportunity to try out steels in SE that we normally don't see.
Hey David, how would you feel about serrated Cru-wear? Think it was yesterday when I posted that I don't think I've ever seen Cru-wear in SE, that doesn't mean that it doesn't exist, I've just never seen it before!

Wonder how Cru-wear would hold up with serrations? And honestly if Cru-wear is in fact a possibility here, I'd probably want it in a PE version. I only have one Cru-wear knife, a Para 3, it's ridiculously easy to get screaming sharp!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

benben wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:03 pm
Evil D wrote:
Dazen wrote:

Hey David, how would you feel about serrated Cru-wear? Think it was yesterday when I posted that I don't think I've ever seen Cru-wear in SE, that doesn't mean that it doesn't exist, I've just never seen it before!

Wonder how Cru-wear would hold up with serrations? And honestly if Cru-wear is in fact a possibility here, I'd probably want it in a PE version. I only have one Cru-wear knife, a Para 3, it's ridiculously easy to get screaming sharp!

Non stainless in general are steels I've been VERY interested in trying out with SE, particularly ones that seem to not be very hard to sharpen/grind but also have great edge retention. One of my criteria for SE is that they're easy to reprofile and sharpen so I'm really excited for the possibility of Cruwear. Another that's high on my list (that likely won't be offered in this Ayoob) is 52100.

I do think it's a bit soon to get our hopes up though. I have a gut feeling it'll be Spy27.
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:18 pm
benben wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:03 pm
Evil D wrote:
Dazen wrote:

Non stainless in general are steels I've been VERY interested in trying out with SE, particularly ones that seem to not be very hard to sharpen/grind but also have great edge retention. One of my criteria for SE is that they're easy to reprofile and sharpen so I'm really excited for the possibility of Cruwear. Another that's high on my list (that likely won't be offered in this Ayoob) is 52100.

I do think it's a bit soon to get our hopes up though. I have a gut feeling it'll be Spy27.
This is where I might slightly disagree with you guys. After using so many different types of stainless steel Serrated blades in the Spyderco line up I'm kind of reluctant to revert to high carbon steels. It seems to me that most stainless blades have properties of ductility and are more resistant to cracking and chipping than many of the non-stainless blades are.

Also over the years I've closely gathered my own data doing my own work with certain Stainless blades and I came up with some results that I didn't expect. Some of the steels I really used hard in SE I found did better in some steels that are not at the top for using in PE blades. Two prime examples of that are 440V ( S60V) and AUS-8. I never really liked either one a lot in PE but I found both of them to be super dependable and consistently perform very well with every serrated blade I used those steels in. And I used both of those steels on some really brutal jobs too with great, dependable results.

But hey if you guys find some high carbon steels that prove me wrong I'll be all ears :) Oh!! and by the way SPY-27 sounds A-OK with me as well for the upcoming C-60 Ayoob Sprint Run ;)
benben

Post by benben »

I know it won’t happen but I’d definitely not turn my nose up at S35VN, in the three knives I have it in I really like that steel!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

benben wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:03 pm
I know it won’t happen but I’d definitely not turn my nose up at S35VN, in the three knives I have it in I really like that steel!
I've not yet owned or used a Spyderco blade with S35VN. But I've heard from two guys I trust that it is better than S30V without a doubt. Actually I've always liked VG-10 even better than S30V for several reasons.

The more I'm thinking about it I'm beginning to believe that SPY-27 is going to make perfect sense for the blade steel for the C-60 Ayoob Sprint. I hope it is so well liked that the C-60 ends up being in the main line up again. If the Sprint Run let's say sells out in less than a month then it would be a smart move for Spyderco to put that model back into the main line up again>> at least for 6 months or so>> and if it's selling good then why would you pull it?

I have really high hopes folks :)
Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

local VG10 wasn't good enough, another case of moving steel around the planet that would probably only make it "cheaper", will probably be another one of those 325$ MSRP like the ATR2 and that will make to EU for 250+EUR and at that price is probably not worth it
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Gsg9 wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:42 am
local VG10 wasn't good enough, another case of moving steel around the planet that would probably only make it "cheaper", will probably be another one of those 325$ MSRP like the ATR2 and that will make to EU for 250+EUR and at that price is probably not worth it

Not worth it to you. :)
~David
Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

To me of course, you can have them all, including mine :)
ATR2 was discontinued after one run so it was probably was not worth it to a lot of people.
This is a sprint run so it has the advantage that it's discontinued by default :D
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Gsg9 wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:15 am
ATR2 was discontinued after one run so it was probably was not worth it to a lot of people.
This is a sprint run so it has the advantage that it's discontinued by default :D

It just seems like a lot of drama when we don't even have a price yet. It's like giving up on a race that hasn't even started yet.
~David
James Y

Post by James Y »

The more I think about it, the more I’d like it in SPY27. We’ll have to see. I really would like a C-60, but if I happen to miss out on it, as great as the design may be, I’m not going to stress over it. It’s a knife, of which I already have a LOT of.

If it turns out to be a non-stainless tool steel, I’ll give it a pass.

Jim
Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

Evil D wrote:
Gsg9 wrote:

It just seems like a lot of drama when we don't even have a price yet. It's like giving up on a race that hasn't even started yet.

Maybe you've seen too many dramas on TV and now you see them everywhere.

I've just pointed out that "it just seems" it's heading that way and I gave a similar example with ATR2, S30V shipped over the other side of the planet and it kinda came out kinda expensive...

This may come out true or not.

And you suddenly felt a strong interior need/urge to correct/quote me :D

So, just to clarify for you and potentially other easily impressionable people in here: there is no drama in here.

Drama is on TV or at the theater in a Greek tragedy or in a cancer hospice etc, in here it's all good.

So not a lot. Not a little. Actually not at all.

Hoo hoo hoooooo ...
Noooooooooo drama
:D
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Gsg9 wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:24 am
Evil D wrote:
Gsg9 wrote:

I've just pointed out that "it just seems" it's heading that way and I gave a similar example with ATR2, S30V shipped over the other side of the planet and it kinda came out kinda expensive...

So, just to clarify for you and potentially other easily impressionable people in here: there is no drama in here.

Drama is on TV or at the theater in a Greek tragedy or in a cancer hospice etc, in here it's all good.

Hoo hoo hoooooo ...
Noooooooooo drama

Yeah man, drama, like this whole post. If you don't want the knife don't buy it, stop raining on everyone's parade.
~David
Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:55 am
Gsg9 wrote:
Evil D wrote:
Gsg9 wrote:

Hoo hoo hoooooo ...
Noooooooooo drama

Yeah man, drama, like this whole post. If you don't want the knife don't buy it, stop raining on everyone's parade.

So, just to clarify for EvilD and potentially other easily impressionable people in here: there was no drama in that post either :D

Thought this topic wasn't necessarily just about buying the knife so I might chime in zeee parade from time to time :D
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:55 am
Gsg9 wrote:
Evil D wrote:
Gsg9 wrote:

Hoo hoo hoooooo ...
Noooooooooo drama

Please correct me if I'm wrong :) But can you tell me what you think the problem might be with this upcoming C-60 Ayoob Sprint Run? Because with all the people who are not in favor of this upcoming Sprint Run of the C-60 Ayoob model there are at least 15 people who are for it versus to probably 1 or two people who are not for it.

Clearly we have a lot of people excited ( as I am) about it's release. I also make a case that there are scores of knife collectors and aficionados who are very much looking forward to this Sprint Run. And I kind of doubt if the anticipated price of this upcoming Sprint Run is much of a deterent ( if any at all) to keep fans of this model from getting one.

I guess my overall question is: What seems to be the problem you perceive with this upcoming Sprint Run? Do you just not like the C-60 for whatever reason? hey and that's cool if you don't like it because there are a few Spyderco models that most of the guys like that I don't. Why is this not a good idea? And thank you for your contribution to the thread :)
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

I think this knife’ll be good regardless of what form it releases in. This project has the passion of both spyderco and the spyderco community behind it.

Lc200n would be nice, Rex45 would be nice, vg-10 would be fine. Whatever they decided on it will still be great, and certainly an upgrade from the previous sprint. People will be asking for a second run by the end of next year I guarantee it. Let’s not get too mucked up in the details.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Gsg9 wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:39 pm

So, just to clarify for EvilD and potentially other easily impressionable people in here: there was no drama in that post either :D

Thought this topic wasn't necessarily just about buying the knife so I might chime in zeee parade from time to time :D

Here's some clarification..

36 pages, 716 posts that until you were all ecstatic about this knife happening

Mr. Ayoob and Sal themselves both gave it their blessings

It's practically unheard of to see a sprint of a knife that has been out of production for this long

You're speculating about a price that doesn't even exist yet

Joe has been preaching and begging for this knife to come back for so many years and it's finally happening

Man, maybe I overreacted, it's just that 2020 has been a **** hole of a year and this thread has been so positive and uplifting and it's one of the few things this year I've had to be excited about and it just feels like you're shitting on it before it even exists. If I'm wrong for that I'll shut up. I'm just saying give it time and if it comes with a $300 street price we can come back here and I'll publicly exclaim that you were right all along. Until then it'd be nice if we can just be excited and ignore whatever inflated price it may come with and cross that bridge or burn it down when we get there.
~David
James Y

Post by James Y »

benben wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:03 pm

I also don’t think the C-60 will be in S35VN, but I also like the steel. I only have it in five knives; four of my CRK knives, and one Spyderco, my DLC, brown-handled PM2. But I like it more than S30V (which I also like). They are similar, but S35VN seems a little tougher. But I believe that Sal said a customer survey or something indicated that customers preferred S30V over S35VN in use.

Maybe S45VN?

My greatest hope is still SPY27.

Jim