What Spyderco is in your pocket today??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

Just went by my favourite knife store and they had a sale, 15% storewide. Needless to say, I held a Manix2 lightweight owned by my cousin a couple weeks ago and really liked the ergonomics. He has the translucent blue handle...I got the black. It's the first Spyderco I've bought for myself with the bi directional texturing (not counting the Ladybug that resides on my keychain). I've been wanting to try the CTS-BD1...what can I expect compared to say CPM-S30V or VG-10? I have the most experience using CPM-S30V.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
jalcon

Post by jalcon »

3rdGenRigger wrote:Just went by my favourite knife store and they had a sale, 15% storewide. Needless to say, I held a Manix2 lightweight owned by my cousin a couple weeks ago and really liked the ergonomics. He has the translucent blue handle...I got the black. It's the first Spyderco I've bought for myself with the bi directional texturing (not counting the Ladybug that resides on my keychain). I've been wanting to try the CTS-BD1...what can I expect compared to say CPM-S30V or VG-10? I have the most experience using C30V
Won't hold an edge quite as long but VERY easy to get back to.razor sharp quickly.
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

That's what I was expecting for edge retentiveness...how about corrosion resistance?

---> Branden
glbpro

Post by glbpro »

3rdGenRigger wrote:I've been wanting to try the CTS-BD1...what can I expect compared to say CPM-S30V or VG-10? I have the most experience using CPM-S30V.
I actually prefer the CTS-BD1 to VG-10 because it gives a very smooth spyderhole edge - I find that I can flick open my Manix 2 LW with no damage to my thumbnail (important since I'm a guitar player) whereas doing the same with a VG-10 blade scrapes up the nail quite badly.

I have found Corrosion resistance to be as good if not better than VG-10 - I took my Manix 2 LW with me on a recent army deployment and it was in my hot sweaty pocket for 3 days and 2 nights with no ill effects :D

Regards,
Bruno
Regards,
Bruno

"Each of the builders wore his sword at his side as he worked." - Nehemiah 4:18
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

Cool...I open my knives with the meat of my thumb...the nail never comes close, so that's never been an issue for me, even on the Schempp Tuff. I have found that the CPM 3V is very slightly prone to rust pitting. I have the most experience with CPM S30V, but ZDP-189 is definitely my new favourite.

---> Branden
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

CF Military, too much awesomeness... :D
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Siren, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

glbpro wrote:I actually prefer the CTS-BD1 to VG-10 because it gives a very smooth spyderhole edge - I find that I can flick open my Manix 2 LW with no damage to my thumbnail (important since I'm a guitar player) whereas doing the same with a VG-10 blade scrapes up the nail quite badly.

Regards,
Bruno
FYI, this has absolutely nothing to do with steel type. It has to do with manufacturing and blade finishing. You may handle another of the same knife and it be smoother at the hole. It's a very easy thing to fix with some light grit sandpaper.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Buendia518

Post by Buendia518 »

Lately a throw a paramilitary in my bag and keep a chaparral in the watch pocket,.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Janfrederik

Post by Janfrederik »

Hey Chuck :)
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Janfrederik wrote:Hey Chuck :)
:wavey:
Janfrederik

Post by Janfrederik »

chuck_roxas45 wrote::wavey:
:D
I'm bordering on giddy.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Janfrederik wrote: :D
I'm bordering on giddy.
I might be missing something here. :)
Janfrederik

Post by Janfrederik »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:I might be missing something here. :)
Haha, just that I look up to you, seeing as you played a part in welcoming me to the forums, and you have all these knives and guns and funny comments.
I'm your #1 fan.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Janfrederik wrote:Haha, just that I look up to you, seeing as you played a part in welcoming me to the forums, and you have all these knives and guns and funny comments.
I'm your #1 fan.
I am wracked with such hearty guffaws that in addition to rolling to and fro on the floor, my posterior has separated itself from my body.
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

Light blue UKPK SE. Great little knife. I got it for my gal, but she prefers a lock for safety. She's now carrying an FRN Cara Cara Rescue SE.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
Janfrederik

Post by Janfrederik »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:I am wracked with such hearty guffaws that in addition to rolling to and fro on the floor, my posterior has separated itself from my body.
Hahaha, you've made my day.
It's just that (in my mind, at least) you're so well known and I'm just another newcomer and it means a lot, you taking time out to have a discussion with me.
There's more I could go on about, but I'll spare you the rambling.
Anyway, I just wanted to let you know. It seemed like a good time, because not many people were awake.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Janfrederik wrote:Hahaha, you've made my day.
It's just that (in my mind, at least) you're so well known and I'm just another newcomer and it means a lot, you taking time out to have a discussion with me.
There's more I could go on about, but I'll spare you the rambling.
Anyway, I just wanted to let you know. It seemed like a good time, because not many people were awake.
Newcomers and old f***s all have something to contribute. :)
Janfrederik

Post by Janfrederik »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Newcomers and old f***s all have something to contribute. :)
Haha, true. Though I doubt many other forums beside this one recognize that.
Anyway, thank you. :)
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Janfrederik wrote:Haha, true. Though I doubt many other forums beside this one recognize that.
Anyway, thank you. :)
This is a great place to learn and to enjoy hanging out. Why are you up so early BTW?