SNK Manix 2 LW is coming!!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Manixguy@1994

Re: SNK Manix 2 LW is coming!!!

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 9:49 am
You know you have too many knives when.... I was thinking, this would be cooler in G-10... then remembering I have this knife in G-10. I should carry it for Christmas.
Ha ha ! You are not alone ! MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 9:55 am
ZrowsN1s wrote:
You know you have too many knives when.... I was thinking, this would be cooler in G-10... then remembering I have this knife in G-10. I should carry it for Christmas.
Ha ha ! You are not alone ! MG2
Spyderholics anonymous :bug-red-white
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Crox

Post by Crox »

Traditional.Sharpening wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:16 am
Crox wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:31 pm
Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:48 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:24 pm

You know that even the BD1N Manix 2 LW costs more in the US with a coated blade?

I think Manixes have pretty good prices anyway in general, but this 4V one is an amazing deal imo.

And I admit I am not a steel expert, but Spydercos 4V in my Goddard is anything else but "overrated" as far as I can tell.
It's expected that BD1N would cost more than 4V because it is stainless, which usually costs more than non-stainless. 4V is not but if you compare it to the stainless 'version' of 4V (Magnacut being modeled as a "stainless" version of 4V) then Magnacut is indeed more expensive.
I would have thought the ingot (BD1N) vs powder (4v) production difference would make 4v more expensive.
It was my understanding that BD1N is actually a powder steel but I can't recall where I may have seen that or what the source is. I remember being surprised when I read that as I thought it was not powder steel.
My only reference is KnifeSteelNerds. Listed as ingot and no reference to PM. Given it is used in the budget folders it seems likely.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
LOL!!!

I'm embarrased to admit that I think I only carried my SNK G10 Manix 2 maybe once.

I keep all my SNK knives in a locked drawer along with a bunch of other knives. Often I open that drawer with the intention of grabbing something from SNK to carry. Sometimes I do get one in my pocket but a lot of times I end up seeing something else on my way there and end up putting that in my pocket. I need to learn to stay more focused
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Traditional.Sharpening

Post by Traditional.Sharpening »

Crox wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 11:34 am
Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:16 am
Crox wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:31 pm
Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:48 pm

It's expected that BD1N would cost more than 4V because it is stainless, which usually costs more than non-stainless. 4V is not but if you compare it to the stainless 'version' of 4V (Magnacut being modeled as a "stainless" version of 4V) then Magnacut is indeed more expensive.
I would have thought the ingot (BD1N) vs powder (4v) production difference would make 4v more expensive.
It was my understanding that BD1N is actually a powder steel but I can't recall where I may have seen that or what the source is. I remember being surprised when I read that as I thought it was not powder steel.
My only reference is KnifeSteelNerds. Listed as ingot and no reference to PM. Given it is used in the budget folders it seems likely.
Well that may be true but the more I think of it I want to say it was Sal posting here that BD1 was a powder metal version of Gingami-1 steel, BD1N being a version of BD1 with added nitrogen. I don't have the time to dig for that reference but it's something one could likely confirm with Spyderco with an email or phone call.
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Crox wrote:

Correct,

BD1 and BD1 are ingot steels.

They are not PM steels.
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

I still stand by the reason this is priced below the standard BD1N with DLC model is this exclusive was probably commissioned a year or more ago. Meaning they locked in their prices at that time. Not really comparable to today's pricing.

The Blade HQ Non-DLC M4 exclusive released in March of this year was under $117. Which was seen as fantastic at the time, but again was probably commissioned in early 2022 if not earlier.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Traditional.Sharpening

Deadboxhero wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 1:12 pm
Crox wrote:

Correct,

They are not PM steels.
Good deal, thanks for confirming this. I'm recalling now that it was CTS XHP I was thinking of being PM steel instead even though it perhaps isn't obvious coming from Carpenter with their different letter/name structure than Crucible.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 12:34 pm
ZrowsN1s wrote:
LOL!!!

I'm embarrased to admit that I think I only carried my SNK G10 Manix 2 maybe once.

I keep all my SNK knives in a locked drawer along with a bunch of other knives. Often I open that drawer with the intention of grabbing something from SNK to carry. Sometimes I do get one in my pocket but a lot of times I end up seeing something else on my way there and end up putting that in my pocket. I need to learn to stay more focused
I definitely should carry all of them more. The 15V manix stopped me rotating Manix(s). When I want a manix I reach for that one.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:39 pm
Deadboxhero wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 1:12 pm
Crox wrote:

Correct,

They are not PM steels.
Good deal, thanks for confirming this. I'm recalling now that it was CTS XHP I was thinking of being PM steel instead even though it perhaps isn't obvious coming from Carpenter with their different letter/name structure than Crucible.
Nice, right on

Can be easy to mix things up sometimes, happens to the best of us.
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
Crox

Post by Crox »

JSumm wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:19 pm
I still stand by the reason this is priced below the standard BD1N with DLC model is this exclusive was probably commissioned a year or more ago. Meaning they locked in their prices at that time. Not really comparable to today's pricing.

The Blade HQ Non-DLC M4 exclusive released in March of this year was under $117. Which was seen as fantastic at the time, but again was probably commissioned in early 2022 if not earlier.
Also I suppose they aren’t subject to MAP on these. They might get aggressive on pricing for name recognition.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Sharp Guy wrote:
...I keep all my SNK knives in a locked...

sock

Sharp Guy wrote:
...drawer along with a bunch of other knives. Often I open that drawer with the intention of grabbing something from SNK to carry. Sometimes I do get one in my pocket but a lot of times I end up seeing something else on my way there and end up putting that in my pocket. I need to learn to stay more focused

(Fixed it for ya.)
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

The same two guys always talking so much about steels and sharpening, degrading others, their equipment, the steels, others abilities....a lot of talk, yet have never ONCE posted photos of how great at sharpening they are. Time to put up or shut up fella's. You certainly know who you are at this point...
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
vivi

Post by vivi »

:discguised
:unicorn
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Bolster wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:40 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
...I keep all my SNK knives in a locked...

sock

Sharp Guy wrote:
...drawer along with a bunch of other knives. Often I open that drawer with the intention of grabbing something from SNK to carry. Sometimes I do get one in my pocket but a lot of times I end up seeing something else on my way there and end up putting that in my pocket. I need to learn to stay more focused

(Fixed it for ya.)
:cheap-sunglasses

It's actually more like a wide desk top height filing cabinet in my office but call it what you want if you insist
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 11:13 pm
It's actually more like a wide desk top height filing cabinet in my office but call it what you want if you insist

Well, at least I know where to look, next time I'm in DFW.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

C'mon over. Our two German Shepherds will be happy to show you
tcarltonw

Post by tcarltonw »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:50 pm
The same two guys always talking so much about steels and sharpening, degrading others, their equipment, the steels, others abilities....a lot of talk, yet have never ONCE posted photos of how great at sharpening they are. Time to put up or shut up fella's. You certainly know who you are at this point...
👆🏼 👌🏼
Traditional.Sharpening

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:50 pm
:thinking

You know your post really sounds degrading, my friend. Why the aggressive tone? What exactly does a photo do to show someone knows how to sharpen? At best it can show that you can get an even bevel width and good looks to the edge but sharpness is microscopic. If one doesn't get an even bevel width/uniform scratch pattern/mirror polish, are they a fraud?

Are you volunteering to send me some money to purchase a high end USB micro-scope to prove to all the skeptics on the internet that I have been quite successful doing very significant re-profiling and sharpening work for many folks by now that have been nothing but overjoyed at the results and go so far as to send more work my way when they can afford it?

Perhaps if you want someone to do something it would be best to lead by example? I don't know about you but the thought of being told what to do by a grown-man (I assume but given the seemingly childish challenge you've presented here maybe that part is not right) just doesn't motivate me to take action. Maybe you could put a please at the end of it for me?

My goal here is not to degrade others or their equipment, the steels they use or anything else but rather to share what I believe needs to be communicated to help others grow their knowledge. If you don't like my views then, again, I'll point out that there is a very convenient way to ignore me on the forum and you'll never have to have your views challenged again.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

JSumm wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:19 pm

I would say your assumption is correct . The contract is set and then the wait begins for when the lot will go into production. May also be a time factor accumulating parts as in blade and production of the unique color of scales . Just a guess .,Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau