Long Timers: How has this forum changed?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TkoK83Spy

Re: Long Timers: How has this forum changed?

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Thanks for clearing that up Sal. Appreciate the response and a little bit of history from before my time here.

I agree, I feel this forum is properly policed among members for the most part. Which is a rare occasion, and very rare these days I can imagine compared to most forums out there.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Thanks, All, for sharing your thoughts on this topic.

Back when I was teaching MBC for Spyderco 20+ years ago, but long before I was an actual employee, I was honored to be invited to be a presence on the forum. With Sal's leadership and Kristi's expert management, it has always been a great platform for sharing ideas, opinions, and knowledge. It's still the only forum of its type where the founder of the company and an industry icon contributes on almost a daily basis. That's extraordinary.

The changes I've seen are reflective of generational and behavioral changes, many of which are exacerbated by social media practices. When I wrote my first books and magazine articles 30 years ago, I had to work hard to earn a voice in the industry, as established publishers were the only platform. Forums like this democratized the ability for all of us to have a platform, but in the early days, we appreciated that and chose to tread lightly. We grew up in a world characterized by personal interaction and accountability for misbehavior, so we carried that respect into our other communications, like the forum.

Today, anyone with a Smartphone can build a significant social media presence, regardless of the quality of its content. The anonymity afforded by social media platforms also enables people to say things without accountability. In many cases, the number of "likes" and "follows" a person has are valued more than the veracity or insightfulness of their content. To drive those numbers, some people stir the pot with inflammatory comments.

As a result of social and technological changes, we've also become accustomed to instant gratification. We want what we want NOW. That habit has led, in many people, to a strong sense of entitlement and a total disregard for the reality of the processes that create things. Add that to a generally less respectful tone of communication and it's a recipe for unpleasantness.

On the positive side, this forum has evolved, as many of you have pointed out, to be more knowledgeable, insightful, and technically savvy. That's awesome. It's greatest accomplishment, however, has been its ability to maintain the original spirit of respect that Sal created despite the changing world around us. In many ways, it's still a refuge from the rest of the social media world, and I'm really proud I can help to keep it that way.

Sal and Kristi are incredible. I'm honored to be in their company.

Stay safe,

Mike
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The thing that has changed is me. I'm not as smart as I was before I joined this forum. I've learned how much I didn't know and I've learned how much malarky there is in some people out there. On this forum I've seen characters come and go and we don't tolerate some of them for long. Peer pressure moves them on. On the other hand, there are some very knowledgeable people on this forum and a few that I wish would post more often because of that. This is a great place to hang out, even if I don't say anything.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Michael Janich wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:15 am
Today, anyone with a Smartphone can build a significant social media presence, regardless of the quality of its content.

Insightful post, Michael, and can I add that I so much don't want to believe this ^ one sentence. Maybe that's where faith comes in. I have faith that quality content wins, eventually. I believe, for the most part, that the misinformed, the duplicitous, the egocentric, the distractors and detractors and plagiarists eventually fall by the wayside for a technical pursuit such as Spyderco's. (I don't have the same faith in the triumph of veracity in politics, for example--in that realm, the game is to whomever has the most megaphones.)

Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:53 am
...On the other hand, there are some very knowledgeable people on this forum and a few that I wish would post more often ...

Why thanks, Dan! I'll try to up my post count.

I'm kidding. I'm joking! I know you're not referring to me.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Bolster wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 11:58 am
Michael Janich wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:15 am
Today, anyone with a Smartphone can build a significant social media presence, regardless of the quality of its content.

Insightful post, Michael, and can I add that I so much don't want to believe this ^ one sentence.
Believe it. As much as we might wish it weren't true, it might as well be chiselled in stone. It may not be a lasting presence, but as long as people pay attention to "reviewers" rather than forming their own opinions based on their own experiences, it will be a significant presence. Those are the times we live in.
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

Ah yes, now i remember about Simona. The row about the pictures was on bladeforums. She photoshopped a tattoo on a girls butt picture and when asked if it was her butt she said yes. Apparently this annoyed some members and she got pestered about it. Iirc the designer she got into a discussion on this forum about , later moved on to another knife manufacturer and designed other models. I can't say she didn't have a point because this and his later models for another brand don't ooze tactical SD knife. Not that smaller knives can't be used in a defensive role. But that is another discussion.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Jim Malone wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 1:19 pm
Ah yes, now i remember about Simona. The row about the pictures was on bladeforums. She photoshopped a tattoo on a girls butt picture and when asked if it was her butt she said yes. Apparently this annoyed some members and she got pestered about it. Iirc the designer she got into a discussion on this forum about , later moved on to another knife manufacturer and designed other models. I can't say she didn't have a point because this and his later models for another brand don't ooze tactical SD knife. Not that smaller knives can't be used in a defensive role. But that is another discussion.
Oh yeah!! I remember the days of lady "SIMONA" and her brilliant photos. She went by the nickname "The GUNTING GIRL" also "The Joyful Girl From The Prague">> I always liked SIMONA and thought she was great for the community. The last Birthday she had I put up a Happy Birthday wish for her on the OFF TOPIC part of the forum and she did chime in that day and say "Thank You". That was the first I had heard of her in over 10 years. I wish her well and hope the world is treating her fairly.

I also remember many of the old Gang like "Jimmy Dean, Dr. Hannibal Lecter ( Kurt), Daywalker ( Chad Los Banos), David Lowry, and of course our Spyderville mayor "The Deacon" was here long before I got here in 2004. We really seemed to have a lot of harmony in the community back then. I really did like the 2004 to 2010 time slot. It seemed like after 2010 we got a whole new cast of characters. Not a bad thing but it was different after that.

I've had to take time off a couple of times over the years but I've always kept track of things. It's been amazing to see how Spyderco has evolved over the years. I do like the gang we have now for the most part. But the first 6 years I was here it was really a special community. But what the heck life is constant change. There's still a few of us that have stayed around.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Right, I remember Hannibal Lecter, and wasn't there also a woman, Agent Starling? (I don't think anyone stepped up to be Buffalo Bill.) I vaguely recollect (I think?) that both of them were big fans of the Hawkbill or Reverse S blade shapes. And there was Dr. Snubnose and his meat cutting tests...

viewtopic.php?t=50205
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Bolster wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:40 pm
Right, I remember Hannibal Lecter, and wasn't there also a woman, Agent Starling? (I don't think anyone stepped up to be Buffalo Bill.) I vaguely recollect (I think?) that both of them were big fans of the Hawkbill or Reverse S blade shapes. And there was Dr. Snubnose and his meat cutting tests...

viewtopic.php?t=50205
Heck yes!! I also remember Agent Starling and Doc Snubnose both. Doc Snubnose has been here within the past 6 months or so. Doc Snubnose did a fabulous meat cutting test with his full SE version of the C-60 Ayoob model. Doc was a great contributor.

The gang was huge back in those days and it seemed like we all got to know most of members at that time slot. Also "Daywalker" ( Chad Los Banos) was the designer of the Spyderco "LAVA" model. There was a guy who was a super active member named "Zen Heretic" and he completely dropped off the radar. And of course one guy still with us lives just one state over from me ( Kansas) >> speaking of "Yablanowitz">> he's still moderately active from time to time and he has been here since about 2005 I think it was.

Chad Los Banos lived in Hawaii. That was truly a great time to be a forum member here at Spyderville.
James Y

Post by James Y »

I remember most of those names, though I wasn’t interacting much on this forum, or even visiting much back then. I was mostly on Bladeforums back then, and may have seen some of the same screen names there, too. And even on BF, I’ve taken years away from it, and never posted as much as many members there.

In terms of how social media has changed the game, it really has. The vast majority of members here are very good people, even if there are disagreements every now and then. But every once in a blue moon, someone new comes along trying to stir things up, and you can tell immediately they’re the type who uses the anonymity afforded by social media to communicate with the outside world; they are entitled, arrogant, and display a low social IQ.

The one rule I’ve always maintained about my own online presence since I first got online in 1998 is that I will never post anything to or about anyone that I wouldn’t be willing to say to them in person, to their face. This whole social media thing allows many with low ethical standards and passive-aggressive natures to post things to or about others that they would never in a million years say directly to anyone’s face, because they know they’ll never be held accountable. And although platforms like YT, etc., have MANY positive benefits, it also gives many the false assumption that they know everything about everything, which they don’t.

Jim
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I find that I'm actually more polite over the internet than I am in person, since I have a chance to read what I just typed before I post it. In person...let's just say there isn't much of a filter between my brain and my mouth, so I'm a lot more likely to call you an idiot face-to-face.

My personal opinion is that social media is the death of civilization. I avoid pretty much everything but here and Bladeforums.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

yablanowitz wrote:
Sat Nov 05, 2022 4:38 pm
I find that I'm actually more polite over the internet than I am in person, since I have a chance to read what I just typed before I post it. In person...let's just say there isn't much of a filter between my brain and my mouth, so I'm a lot more likely to call you an idiot face-to-face.

My personal opinion is that social media is the death of civilization. I avoid pretty much everything but here and Bladeforums.
We would be best friends...or worst enemies!

-Rick
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

yablanowitz wrote:
Sat Nov 05, 2022 4:38 pm

YAB I couldn't agree with you more about the major social media sites. I avoid them like cancer. However I do love some of these knife forums because knives and other edged tools have been items that I've been intrigued with since I was in my mid teens.
I pretty much hang out with people that I do have something in common with. I find those major social media sites to be like a "minefield" and that's being conservative with my selection of words. Trolls just don't fare very well when you have a harmonious community like we have established here at Spyderville.

I've found Bladeforums.com has declined in certain aspects for the last 8 to 10 years or so. I don't find that community to be nearly as friendly as it was back around 2005 to 2012. Since that time slot Bladeforums has attracted a different group of folks and some of them are not very friendly. I was on Benchmade's Forum for a while a few years back but I found them to be rather cliquish and not tolerant of people who like other brands of knives. But in the last 5 years I haven't found many BM models that I even care much for anymore. And they just don't do many Sprint Runs of older models like Spyderco does.

The old Bob Dylan song entitled "These Times They Are A Changing" has sure proven to be true in recent years.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

The last time I counted, I had over a hundred names on my ignore list on Bladeforums. At least half of them had been banned. When you use the ignore feature there, you don't even see theads started by those on your list, making my experience much less annoying. The trolls and pot-stirrers simply go away with all their drivel. The one here is not as strong, but it is still pretty handy.
SpyderGrill

Post by SpyderGrill »

when i first joined i said something like i appreciated how Sal and his wife drove around in a bread truck selling their products. and i wanted to learn more of their history how they finally made it .

actually id rather hear stories where they ate hot dogs at the fairs, ramen noodles, canned food, and couldnt afford good food at that time.

I was made fun of for asking the question i think?

theres a "good ole boy member list" here and none Ive seen ever had it tough like i think Sal lived through
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

SpyderGrill wrote:
Sun Nov 06, 2022 1:18 am
when i first joined i said something like i appreciated how Sal and his wife drove around in a bread truck selling their products. and i wanted to learn more of their history how they finally made it .

actually id rather hear stories where they ate hot dogs at the fairs, ramen noodles, canned food, and couldnt afford good food at that time.

theres a "good ole boy member list" here and none Ive seen ever had it tough like i think Sal lived through
That seems like standard fare for anyone trying to turn their side hustle into a business. But I’d be interested in their stories too.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

That's definitely an odd question to get harassed about. Surprising really. I'd think everyone that's interested in these knives and frequently visits these forums would appreciate the opportunity to hear those kinds of stories from Sal.

-Rick
James Y

Post by James Y »

SpyderGrill wrote:

I have no idea why anyone would make fun of that. IMO, that's the part that makes the Spyderco story so remarkable. Going from humble means to creating revolutionary, world-renowned knives and knife-related products that continue setting the bar for the entire knife industry; and with high-quality manufacturing in the USA and internationally. Having experienced hardships myself, I can identify with, and am FAR more inspired by that, than by stories of people who were born into vast amounts of wealth.

It's astounding that anyone would ridicule anybody else for wanting to know more about that.

Jim
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I love hearing any story from Sal / Gail concerning the origins of the company . In some ways a great love story and where it began as a couple with a dream . I highly respect that . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

James Y wrote:
Sun Nov 06, 2022 8:21 am
SpyderGrill wrote:

I have no idea why anyone would make fun of that. IMO, that's the part that makes the Spyderco story so remarkable. Going from humble means to creating revolutionary, world-renowned knives and knife-related products that continue setting the bar for the entire knife industry; and with high-quality manufacturing in the USA and internationally. Having experienced hardships myself, I can identify with, and am FAR more inspired by that, than by stories of people who were born into vast amounts of wealth.

It's astounding that anyone would ridicule anybody else for wanting to know more about that.

Jim
It depends on where he asked. In "Sal's Casual Bombshells" people would likely get bent out of shape because it's way off topic for that thread. Some of us like to stay within sight of the original thread topic out of respect for the person who started the thread.