So what did y'all end up buying this year (2021)?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
kerrcobra

Re: So what did y'all end up buying this year (2021)?

Post by kerrcobra »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:45 pm
kerrcobra wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:30 pm
I don't even want to contemplate how many knives I've bought this year.
Same here! Granted I only bought a few Spydercos, but I dabbled into CRK's and some other brands, as well as sharpening equipment. This thread is a bad idea...It's like tallying how much you spent on alcohol, fast food, etc. No good feelings come out of this!

*edit* - I just checked back through my photos and I'm shocked, I only bought (2) Native Chiefs and the Slyz Bowie this past year. I used to buy 3 knives a month! I'm actually a bit impressed with myself now, I've come a long ways.
Dude, it was because of your photos of your Guardian 3 that I even gave them a shot. Now I have 15 of them, and that doesn't count ones I bought and gave away.

I'm going to have to limit some knife purchases next year. I have so many new knives that I haven't even used yet. Must haves for next year -> new Street Beat tool steel sprint run (wishful thinking), some new Delica variant (high performance Delica or such), new Military variant. That's it.
--Jeremy
Cowboyfromhell

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

I hear ya. I don't plan on picking up any more spydercos. I don't like price hikes year after year. Im content with almost 20 spyderco knives collected over the past 3 years. I would actually like to thin the herd but Im not too savvy on posting pics and setting up for sale stuff on eBay or reddit. It would have to be a private sale via text message and certified bank check or money orders...Im old skool!
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Coolest cutting tool I’ve bought in the biggest mob of long time.

Veritas, miniature low angle block plane with A2 steel blade.

A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
vivi

Post by vivi »

well I got word of a hefty christmas bonus coming my way over the weekend, so I may yet add to my list :smlling-eyes
:unicorn
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Bloke wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:38 pm

Very nice, Alex! Good to see you back round these parts, mate. I was checking those out recently. They make some interesting models, the one you have as well as the apron model and some other small ones. Extra cool witn the A2 option.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Hey Josh! Good to see my old mates are still here. Hope all’s well with you.

They’re beautifully made however I was disappointed in the overly coarse grind on the blade. I spent quite awhile trying to set/polish the bottom of the blade, got about 80% of the deep scratch pattern out at the edge, got the Tom Tits and gave up.

When I get a chance I’ll give the bottom of the blade a lick with a fine grit wheel on a surface grinder then set/polish the little blade to 8000grit, I’ll strop it, slap it on the arse with its bridle and call it good. :smlling-eyes
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

So.... I thought I was done for the year until my Birthday in January......

But then the K390 Wharnfly drops, and I had to.
Then this afternoon Emerson sends me an email saying that another batch of Elvias are available to those of us that have been on the wait list the longest... so I got another Elvia on the way. This one I had drilled and tapped for left hand carry, and I already have a 'wave disk' to replace the thumb disk, so this Elvia should be able to deploy like the P'kal. Might get some custom scales for it.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Matus

Post by Matus »

This was an active year for me:

Bought:
  • Native Chief Rex45
  • Caribbean
  • Schempp Bowie
  • Brouwer
  • Tuff in Cruwear
  • Urban N690Co
  • PM2 k390 (second hand)
  • Native 5 M4
  • Urban k390 (second hand)
  • Tactileknife Bexar
  • CS Lawman (second hand)
... that list is longer than I anticipated ...

Sold (done or in planning):
  • Caribbean (was replaced by Schempp Bowie more-less)
  • Tuff in Cruwear (not a user knife for me unfortunately)
  • Urban N690Co (planned, was replaced by the k390 version)
  • Native Chief Rex45 (planned, pretty much replaced by the PM2)
  • Brouwer (considering - not sure yet as I really like it, may be replaced by UKPK Salt)
  • CS Lawman (planned, does not fit my hand as well as I hoped)
... I am sure my wife would think that this second list is not long enough :D
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Capt'n Boatsalot

Post by Capt'n Boatsalot »

Unfortunately, this was a pretty average year for me, just with a few very expensive knives that are atypical for me (Atom, Sebenza). 10 Spydercos, 3 non-Spydercos, and 1 knife gifted to me. Of all the knives I got in 2021, only the Mule, the Endura, and arguably the Salt 2 duplicated models I already own. So that meets a goal of mine – to not just pickup the next flavor of steel, but instead focus on new models. I expect that 2022 will include less purchases overall (price increases, and there should be less and less that have any sort of justification), but I do always get surprised. Overall, I’d say I’m pretty happy with what I acquired in 2021.

Spyderco Caribbean (LC200N) - Drop point, plain edge. Mine is now dyed black, and I love it. Great all around size, just about perfect for me.
Spyderco Mule MT28 (SPY27) - Not buying all Mules, but this and the MagnaCut model I wanted to get because of who developed each. My SPY27 Mule sharpens up super nicely.
Spyderco Endela (K390) - My favorite lock has switched to the backlock, and this is a great example, perfectly upsizing the Delica which I really like too.
Spyderco Native Chief (CPM Rex 45) - Wasn't going to get this initially, but when they were starting to go OOS, I got ansy and picked one up. I do like it, although not sure it has taken over from the Military as my favorite large knife.
Spyderco Mule MT29 (Z-Max PM) - My only blade in a Maxamet-class steel. This one has been more durable and corrosion resistant than I was expecting
Spyderco Salt 2 SE (LC200N) - Thought I would like this more than I do. I think I like the stiffness in the Delica platform from the liners. May also dye this.
Spyderco Reinhold Rhino (CTS-XHP) - Picked up at SFO. Really like this design. Getting a Lynch deep carry clip for it.
Spyderco Native 5 Ltwt (CPM S110V) - Had Natives previously, but sold them off. This was a great price, and fits a hole in my collection, so I picked it up. Really prefer the Delica in this size, but the Native is a real solid option too (more refined backlock than Delica, but I prefer the Delica's handle length).
Spyderco Mule MT35 (MagnaCut) - Still early in trying this one out. Not surprisingly, no corrosion in kitchen duty, even when left dirty for awhile. More to come on this one.
Spyderco Endura SE (Pre-Order) (K390) - Ordered this from Knife Joker when they had everything on sale. This will be my large serrated blade in a tool steel. Looking forward to this coming.

TRM Atom Micarta (20CV) - Wonderful knife. Like the super-slim carry. Not as overall ergonomic as my Spydercos, but a nice alternative. Sits right in my 3.5" blade wheelhouse. However, even one a knife as well executed as this one, Spydie hole > thumb stud.
Chris Reeve Sebenza 31 Micarta Large (CPM S35VN) - I finally went in on one of these, which I've been interested in for the entire 10 years I've been in the hobby. The action is nice, but it doesn't slice like my Spydercos do. And the ergos leave a bit to be desired for my hand. Looks/carries nice, but I do grab something else when I know I'll be cutting stuff.
Civivi Riffle Micarta (14C28N) - Picked up on a whim. Should be an ideal knife for me: 3.5" blade in inexpensive high quality steel, micarta, opening hole & flipper. What's not to like? Well, it's not my favorite. For starters, round Spydie hole > non-symmetric opening hole. Reminder of how brilliant the design of the Spyderco hole is. Otherwise, it's fine, and I'm glad that I have it. May gift this one eventually.

Persian Style Fixed Blade - This was gifted to me due to a friend of my wife passing away. Special piece.

:respect
dan31

Post by dan31 »

Native Chief S90v and Stretch 2 ZDP-189. It was a good year.
ekastanis

Post by ekastanis »

I tried to go the whole year without buying any knife. I made it to December before I caved and bought a MT35 and a Cru-wear/micarta PM2.

I think I’ll try to abstain again in 2022, but who knows what may compel me.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Bloke wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:38 pm

Um,d and Ah,d on the Veritas whilst looking for a small plane.

I splurged on a HP-8 a few weeks ago.

https://bridgecitytools.com/products/hp ... lock-plane
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

M4 Tanto PM2 satin
Z-wear Shaman
S90v Chief
Spy27 Mule Team
K390 Police4 LW
S30v PM2 Wharnie
Rex45 Chief
XHP DLC Chief
20cv DLC lime green Para3
20cv Kapara
M390 Slysz Bowie
S30v Smallfly2
M4 DLC Chief
20cv REC Avacado Shaman
Z-Max Mule Team
K390 Stretch2
Cruwear Tuff
20cv gitd Jester
VG10 DLC Manbug Wharncliffe
XHP Chief satin
K390 Police4 LW Spyderedge
M4 PM2 satin Artic Storm
Crucarta PM2
M4 Chief satin
MagnaCut Mule Team
S45vn Pink Para3
K390 Dragonfly2 Wharncliffe
•• Beau
RexGig0

Post by RexGig0 »

I bought two new Civilians, in September, to establish a reserve, in case they again become scarce. I bought my first two Civilians, in the Nineties, one of which has become misplaced. If I really like a knife, I tend to acquire spares.

I would have bought at least one Fish Hunter, perhaps two, to use as gifts, but they have become scarce.
danradz

Post by danradz »

Really got into Spyderco knives this year.

I had 3 at the start of the year—a Native 5 fluted titanium, a PM2 with camo G10 scales, and a Raffir Noble Chaparral, but sold the first two of these.

Here’s what I picked up during the year:
Native 5 LW s110v
Sage 1 s30v
Ikuchi
Lil Native s90v
Pattadese
PM2 M4 with Arctic Storm CF scales
PM3 LW SPY27
Dragonfly 2 Salt SE H1
Manix 2 m390
Ladybug 3 V-Toku2
Endela Red & Black Zome 20CV
Manbug K390
Watu
T2C

Post by T2C »

five entries but no spydies this year, i'm still waiting for the combination of blade steel and handle color and shape that will make me pull the trigger...
Fharing45

Post by Fharing45 »

ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Just snuck an SE Police 4 K390 in there before the new year!
:grin-big eyes

So that brings the full list to....

Rex45 Chief
S90V Chief
Karahawk
Spyderhawk
P'kal Trainer
P'kal
Ladybug Hawkbill Salt x2
Emerson Elvia x2
Emerson Commander
Wharncliffe Dragonfly K390
SE Police 4 K390

(Can you tell I like Hawkbills?)
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

This Persian 2 75mm arrived today. I would like to say that it is my last Spydie for the year, but knowing myself, that may or may not be true :grin-sweat
persian2 75mm 01.jpg
CXXX

Post by CXXX »

1 14. Manix2 CPM-CRUWEAR Black DLC Blade Purple G-10 C101GPPRBK2 DLT Trading (USA) - JAN 2021
2 18. ParaMilitary2 CPM-M4 Tanto Black DLC Blade Natural G-10 C81GM4PTBK2 BladeHQ (USA) - JAN 2021
3 19. ParaMilitary2 CPM-M4 Tanto Satin Blade Natural G-10 C81GM4PT2 BladeHQ (USA) - JAN 2021
4 33. ParaMilitary2 CPM-S30V PlainEdge Satin Wharncliffe Blade Black G-10 C81GPWC2 Cutlery Shoppe (USA) - FEB 2021
5 38. Yojimbo2 CPM-20CV Tan G-10 C85GPTN2 DLT Trading (USA) - MAR 2021
6 42. ParaMilitary2 CPM-S90V Black DLC Blade OD Green G-10 C81 DLT Trading (USA) - MAR 2021
7 44. Para3 CPM-20CV Black DLC Blade Neon Green G-10 C223GPNGRBK KnifeJoy (USA) - APR 2021
8 66. ParaMilitary2 CPM-20CV Black DLC Blade Neon Green G-10 C81GPNGRBK2 KnifeJoy (USA) - JUL 2021
9 78. Para3 CPM-CRUWEAR Black DLC Blade Smooth Black G-10 C223GPCWBK KnifeCenter (USA) - AUG 2021
10 86. ParaMilitary2 CPM-M4 Black DLC Blade Arctic Storm Fat Carbon Fiber C81CFPBLBK2 SMKW (USA) - AUG 2021
11 87. ParaMilitary2 CPM-REX45 Black DLC Blade Solid Copper C81CUPBK2 BladeHQ (USA) - AUG 2021
12 89. ParaMilitary2 Elmax Dark Grey G-10 C81GPDGYLMX2 BladeOps (USA) - SEP 2021
13 100. ParaMilitary2 CPM-M4 Satin Blade Arctic Storm Fat Carbon Fiber C81CFPBL2 SMKW (USA) - OCT 2021
14 101. Yojimbo2 CPM-20CV Black DLC Blade Tan G-10 C85GPTNBK2 DLT Trading (USA) - OCT 2021
15 102. ParaMilitary2 CPM-CRUWEAR Brown Canvas Micarta C81MPCW2 (USA) - OCT 2021
16 113. ParaMilitary2 CPM-M4 Black DLC Blade Jungle Wear Fat Carbon Fiber C81CFPGR2 SMKW (USA) - NOV 2021
17 117. Native5 CPM-M4 Satin Blade Mint FRN C41PJGR5 BladeHQ (USA) - DEC 2021
18 118. ParaMilitary2 CPM-M4 Black DLC Blade Lava Flow Fat Carbon Fiber C81CFPRDOR SMKW (USA) - DEC 2021

I use RAMZAR's list to keep track of each years purchases, so the above is a cut and paste of his list!