What's your favorite model to OPEN?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
brancron

Re: What's your favorite model to OPEN?

Post by brancron »

The Spyderco Nilakka and Lil’ Nilakka both make very satisfying “clicks” when opening. Perfectly engineered liner locks, both with thick and fairly high tension liners, plus the smoothness of each, equals good stuff.
desmodue

Post by desmodue »

double post
Last edited by desmodue on Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
desmodue

Post by desmodue »

I like how easily a flick of the finger snaps a PM2 open and am a big fan of the compression lock. But the most satisfying blade opening experience is thumb opening the Techno 2, it just feels perfect. Better than most ball bearing blades I've handled.

From the audio side, I appreciate the Manix 2's lock up sound. It reminds me of the solid sound a well made double barrel shotgun makes when closing the action.
:bug-red Bow River 8Cr13MoV * Zome Dragonfly VG-10 * Para 3 LW BD1N * Para 3 CPM Rex 45
PM 2 Böhler M390 * PM 2 CPM 20CV * PM 2 CTS 204P * PM 2 CTS Maxamet * Yojimbo CPM M4
Shaman Zapp Z-Wear PM * Spydie Chef Zapp LC200N * Techno 2 CTS XHP * Drunken CPM S90V

Benchmade Griptilian 20CV * Mini Grip S30V * Kershaw Launch 1 CPM 154 * Kershaw Link S35VN
Gerber Applegate Fairbairn Covert ATS 34 * KaBar 1211 AISI 1095 * Cold Steel CS-13QMBIX CPM 3V
VWTattoo

Post by VWTattoo »

The "SNAK!" lock up of my first generation C101 80mm Manix is ridiculous. Not discrete at all. It's obnoxious- I love it. The back lock leaves no room for error in lock engagement. It's probably the beefiest model I have, as it's gotten come custom Green G10 laid on top of the factory G10, making it 14mm thick. I got it from PJROCCO back in 2006, but I'm not sure who did the scales.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Probably my Chinook 2. Second would be my S90V CF military. Probably the best military I've ever had. Detent is perfect and the liner lock is very positive when it engages. 3rd is my spyderhawk. Just a flick of the wrist and it's open. Don't even touch the hole. Dlc S90V yojimbo 2 is also really fun to open and close. I have it tuned perfectly with no blade play and it drops shut.
kadinh

Post by kadinh »

Glad to see the GB1 represented! I thought I was the only one who still owned one.

I think my flickable knives are the PM2s.
You should never have to ask yourself "do i really need another knife?" The answer is obvious...
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Sliverax is right up there for me. So many different ways to open it

As far a the satisfying "clunk" upon opening....the Paysan is the king of the clunk for me

EDIT: ok after going back and reading some of the other posts (I hadn't previously) I have to agree that the Sage 4 is very satisfying to open. Along those same lines the Native 5s (especially the Native 5 fluted Ti) are pretty darned great to open too. And yes a nod has to go out to the GB & GB2 as well
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Speaking of smooth opening backlocks, the SpyOpera is surprisingly smooth to open.
- Nick :bug-red