Spyderco Siren Observations

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
soulspy

Re: Spyderco Siren Observations

Post by soulspy »

I'm still waiting patiently for mine.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Its becoming a favorite for me , I have to remind myself to throw something different in my pocket . It didn’t work today . Ha ! MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
olywa

Post by olywa »

Got my replacement today, even had a sticker in the box. It is perfect in every way and the lock issue is totally resolved. There is ZERO lock rock, although there was some barely discernible lateral play that was easily resolved by a quarter turn on the pivot screw. I'm actually glad to have tightened that up a bit because I had forgotten how easily this one bites your index finger on the fall.

I had forgotten how crisp the G10 was on the Siren. This has to be the grippiest (is that a word?) Spydie in my arsenal. It's also worth noting how sharp the spine is. I think it will give my LT Wrights a little run for their money. I'm gonna see how well it sparks a ferro rod later today. I'm guessing it will do so right handily. The edges on the Spydie hole are also sharp enough to take a divot out of my thumb nail so I may be buffing those a bit.

All in all I'm quite pleased with it and look forward to putting it in my rotation now that the lock issue is completely resolved.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Mine has a little lock rock just like all my Golden lockbacks.
:unicorn
vivi

Post by vivi »

reset the edge on mine to 200 grit

After carrying H1 PE with a very coarse edge so much last year, I want to try LC200N with a similar finish the next few weeks.
Matus

Post by Matus »

Is there a way to recognize the CQI version from the previous one?
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Matus wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:12 am
Probably by the date code on the box? There must be a gap between the production dates of the "old" and "new" ones... but then it could happen that "old" ones end up in "new" boxes.

/ As discussed before: Dealers who do NOT have the Siren in stock right now (like Lamnia here in "our" Europe) most likely will get restocked with "new" Sirens?!

I want one too, and would also like to make sure it will be a "cqi-ed" one.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
soulspy

Post by soulspy »

I received shipping confirmation on my replacement. I'd say by the time it's lands at my door, the whole process will have taken 2 weeks. Pretty good turn around I'd say!
vivi

Post by vivi »

After carrying the Siren for a few days, a couple things stand out to me.

It carries exceptionally well. Carried RFP at work I've come to appreciate how slim it is. I also like how the back of the knife is completely smooth and feels like one piece. It's very out of the way when reaching into my pocket, big difference compared to the Military I sometimes carry to work.

Pivot worked itself loose over the first few hours of carrying it. I tried loosening both sides of the pivot. The show side felt like it had no loc-tite but there was residue on the screw. The back side felt pretty locked in place so I left it alone. Applied a drop of blue loctite to the show side and it's been perfect since.

From factory it was set to free fall when the lock release was engaged. I set mine just a hair tighter, just tight enough that the blade doesn't free fall, but opening it still easy and the slightest shake swings the blade down.

Fidget factor is really high on this one. It is extremely easy to open and close one handed by pressing the lock release with my index finger. Here's a video

Had some minor issues with the factory edge on both knives. It was likely user error, but both of them dulled pretty fast and gave me trouble touching them up. Tried touching up the new one with the 40 degree slots and brown rods. Sharpie confirmed it hit the apex but no matter how many times I swiped down the rods it wouldn't shave.

Resetting the edge solved that, but I usually don't run into that. On my satin M4 Chief for example I've been using the same method to touch it up until I find the time to reprofile it. No issues getting it hair popping sharp. Either way since grinding off the factory edge it's been sharpening up better.

The handle feels more rounded along the corners than my older Siren. I don't have them side by side to compare but that's how it feels. But the tip of the handle behind the lanyard hole for some reason isn't contoured like the rest, and it feels a bit jarring sometimes.

Not the best picture but you can see most of the scale is very well rounded, but the tip comes to a bit of a point. I'll probably sand it down a bit at some point.
soulspy wrote:
Sat Feb 26, 2022 1:29 pm
I received shipping confirmation on my replacement. I'd say by the time it's lands at my door, the whole process will have taken 2 weeks. Pretty good turn around I'd say!
My turn around time was about 10 days. Impressive service!
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Matus wrote:
Mine was coded January 2022 . MG2
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

vivi wrote:
Sat Feb 26, 2022 3:35 pm
Fidget factor is really high on this one. It is extremely easy to open and close one handed by pressing the lock release with my index finger. Here's a video
Any time I do that same flick-to-close while pressing the button on the Siren I find myself trying to time the release of the button perfectly so it's late enough that it doesn't interfere with the "swing" but also early enough that feels and looks like it dropped all the way to the fully closed position in one fluid motion. Next thing I know, I've opened and closed my knife more than a dozen times because I have to "end on a good one" :releived :smlling-eyes .
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
Filoso-

Post by Filoso- »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sun Feb 27, 2022 8:18 am
Matus wrote:
Mine was coded January 2022 . MG2
As Manixguy says, mine is dated in January 2022, letters AV.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

vivi wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 1:50 am
reset the edge on mine to 200 grit

After carrying H1 PE with a very coarse edge so much last year, I want to try LC200N with a similar finish the next few weeks.
Please do , I would be very interested. MG2
Henry David Thoreau
vivi

Post by vivi »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sun Feb 27, 2022 12:57 pm

I'll keep this thread updated as I carry the Siren more.

Had my Chief on me yesterday because somehow the pivot worked itself a little loose on the Siren. Cleaned up the screw and gave it some more blue loc-tite.

Will be carrying the Siren all weekend and trying to use it as much as I can.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

vivi wrote:
Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:23 am
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sun Feb 27, 2022 12:57 pm

I'll keep this thread updated as I carry the Siren more.

Had my Chief on me yesterday because somehow the pivot worked itself a little loose on the Siren. Cleaned up the screw and gave it some more blue loc-tite.

Will be carrying the Siren all weekend and trying to use it as much as I can.
Thanks vivi , that’s funny I had my Native Chief in pocket yesterday myself . I must say I really like the Siren but the Pacific still gets a lot of pocket time . I guess I developed an attachment to the knife doing the 30 day challenge . I’m going to take your advice though and give the Pacific a 200 grit tune up once they come in . I really appreciate all your advice and help . MG2
Henry David Thoreau
soulspy

Post by soulspy »

Received my replacement yesterday. Pretty excited to give it another go. My first one I had used quite a bit in a ranch like setting where it was in contact with lots of liquids and powdered fertilizers. I always liked knowing that it was not going to rust if I forgot to hose it off at the end of the day.

From my first Siren, I had a little weariness with the backlock not having the usual Boye cutout on the lock bar. I would occasionally lightly depress the lock and feel the blade "rattle" against the lock. I saw users had added the cutout themselves and I may just do that. It never felt like I would accidentally unlock the knife, but that sensation of a rattle was apparent in a reverse grip. Almost feels like us knife nuts can find something "wrong" with every design. Overall, I find all the little quirks of my collection to be one of the interesting parts of collecting.

I have to give a big thumbs up to Spyderco for working through the kinks with the lock geometry. Sounded like a bit of a journey to get it sorted out. So thanks to them for making it happen. I still really like the design, so thanks to Lance as well!
olywa

Post by olywa »

Second dates can be illuminating. I find myself enjoying my CQI'd Siren much more than I did before. No matter what I'm carrying in my front pocket(s), I've been carrying the Siren in my right rear jeans pocket and I find myself reaching back for it more often than not. Looking forward to cleaning some salmon with it later this year.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Anyone have an old Siren and CQI Siren they could photograph side by side? I swear it feels like there were more changes than just the lock, but I'm going by memory.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

vivi wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:52 pm
Anyone have an old Siren and CQI Siren they could photograph side by side? I swear it feels like there were more changes than just the lock, but I'm going by memory.

Probably Lance knows this?

After all he designed the knife, so changes should at least be accorded with him, if not actually be based on his inputs?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
camvdcs

Post by camvdcs »

It took about 2 weeks to get my Siren replacement. No lock rock. Date code on replacement was GU.