Give The Spyderedge A Chance Thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: Give The Spyderedge A Chance Thread

Post by Wartstein »

jpm2 wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:44 am
jpm2 wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:18 pm
Evil D wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:21 pm
prndltech wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:07 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:53 pm
I don´t know nothing about being a professional butcher, but personally prefer SE when cutting meat.

I could imagine that beside having to make very clean and nice looking cuts (as David mentioned) another reason for butchers using PE might be, that they frequently and very quickly have to touch up the edge (with a honing steel I guess). This could work better with PE than with SE. Or maybe not "better" but "faster".
I've experimented processing squirrel and deer with se and the 2 real negatives I remember aside from more ragged cuts and requiring more force, were getting excess hair in the meat during skinning, and catching bone all the time.

I'm just confused at some comments saying se is at least as good as pe for everything, when there's some things impossible for it to do, like complete a push cut against a flat surface for instance.
Just to be clear: I did not say that. But just that in my personal use and to my own big surprise ffg SE so far works better in most and not worse in any task that I performed than PE. I also literally said that there certainly WILL be tasks where PE works better, just not (so far at least) in my personal use (viewtopic.php?p=1442809#p1442681)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

jpm2 wrote:
I'm just confused at some comments saying se is at least as good as pe for everything, when there's some things impossible for it to do, like complete a push cut against a flat surface for instance.
Like push cutting against a cutting board? Definitely not impossible when it can push cut receipt paper or whittle hairs...
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

prndltech wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:16 am
jpm2 wrote:
Like push cutting against a cutting board? Definitely not impossible when it can push cut receipt paper or whittle hairs...
What?

Personally, when all is said and done, I have not encountered any cutting task my PE knives cannot do that a SE could. Besides, the most important aspect for me is I don’t like how SE blades look.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

MichaelScott wrote:
prndltech wrote:
jpm2 wrote:
What?

Personally, when all is said and done, I have not encountered any cutting task my PE knives cannot do that a SE could. Besides, the most important aspect for me is I don’t like how SE blades look.
You can cut anything with anything if you have enough force.

Its just about which edge types are better at certain types of cuts. By their nature, a plain edge is going to be better at push cuts, and a serrated edge is going to act more aggressively in a sawing motion. I always like to think of a serrated edge as somewhere in between a plain edge and a saw.

Look up Cliffstamps review of the atlantic salt. He cut through the tread of a tire. None of the plain edge blades made it through the steel belts in the tread. The serrated edge did, as would a saw.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:38 pm
Is there any particular blade steel you would like to do that with? I would like that too>>> However I would like it even more if they did an outdoor Salt Series Sprint Run of the TEMPERANCE 1 model both in LC200N in SE & PE along with really good updated sheaths. The TEMP 1 in SE is a salt water crocodile of a knife :cool:
Maybe since it's a "test mule" testing SE versus PE would be quite a fun thing to do :) As far as particular blade steel the new SPY27 would be interesting and since there are some PD#1 left I wonder how well that would perform with teeth(?)

I've loved the shape of the Temp1 and 2 since I 1st layed eyes on them. Wish they didn't command so much $ on the 2nd had market...A salt Sprint would be instant buy in that shape!
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

MichaelScott wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:49 am
prndltech wrote:
jpm2 wrote:
What?

SE knives can push cut against a flat surface... that’s all I was saying.
It’s all personal preference, for me, they’re actually easier to sharpen and I love the performance.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

MichaelScott wrote:
prndltech wrote:
jpm2 wrote:
What?

Totally fine of course if you don´t like SE and prefer PE, no matter what the reasons might be (and if it´s just the looks!) :)

But: If your first sentence defined on what level of depth we´re discussing on this forum: That would actually end most discussions, proposals and conversations... I mean, then it would be like: "Why a PM2, since there is no cutting tasks a Delica generally can´t do"? "Why REX 45, since there is no task VG10 can´t do"? and so on...

But here people who actually have experienced Spydercos SE came to really value it and in many cases over PE (and that does not mean PE is "bad" of course"!) - and consequently are wishing for more SE.

I still don´t know what YOUR personal, extensive experiences with Spydercos SE in ffg are - but should it be that you actually never really compared it to PE in real use, it is a bit like if someone would say "Never tried a Manix myself, but I feel it is redundant and I don´t see why people like it, since I DO have a PM2 and it works perfectly well..." ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

MichaelScott wrote:
prndltech wrote:
jpm2 wrote:
What?
My thought also.
prndltech wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:12 am
Only if you turn the material over and use 2 cuts, but that's not always an option, and I think you knew what I was talking about.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

jpm2 wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:45 am
MichaelScott wrote:
prndltech wrote:
jpm2 wrote:
What?
My thought also.
prndltech wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:12 am
Only if you turn the material over and use 2 cuts, but that's not always an option, and I think you knew what I was talking about.
You said push cutting against a flat surface.... is that not like cutting something on a table or cutting board? Do elaborate....I could see how laying a zip tie flat and popping it into pieces may be difficult, but who cuts zip ties up like that?
Last edited by prndltech on Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

^I think you guys are arguing over meaningless details. I can cut anything on a cutting board with a serrated knife without repositioning the material. What does it matter whether or not it is a "true push cut" with absolutely zero horizontal motion? Is that something that has any relevance whatsoever in any realistic cutting task? I think not.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

The Meat man wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:06 am
^I think you guys are arguing over meaningless details. I can cut anything on a cutting board with a serrated knife without repositioning the material. What does it matter whether or not it is a "true push cut" with absolutely zero horizontal motion? Is that something that has any relevance whatsoever in any realistic cutting task? I think not.
Yup. I’m curious to know what they mean. I edited to add the zip tie example... other than a test it’s null in real world use.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

The Meat man wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:06 am
Well said.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

this is actually why i love the way spyderco does serrated blades. apart from spyderedge being vastly superior to any other serration patterns, i love that de spydies leave a bit of plain edge toward the tip. that's more than enough to push cut a zip tie if that's how you like to do it. it's more than enough to do finer cuts of thin plastic packaging or paper. it's perfect.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

There's no telling how many hundreds of zip ties I've cut against a flat surface when that was the only option. You run into it all the time in an industrial setting. I guess if you haven't done it, or needed to do it, it just doesn't exist as a "realistic cutting task" ?

I've given the spyderedge a fair chance by attempting all the tasks I use a pe for, and only found a very few that it's as good or better at.

I guess there's no need to list anymore unrealistic cutting tasks the spyderedge can't do, or is horrible at, so I'm out.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

jpm2 wrote:

This is why I like to have a little PE at the tip. It's also a cut that in 3 years I honestly haven't had to do so some people's routines may just differ. For pretty much everything else I've seen SE to outperform PE.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
PStone

Post by PStone »

Having not read the thread, only the title, I promise I will give a folder in full SE a chance as soon as it comes on the Spydiechef. I will be a day one buyer.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

jpm2 wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:44 am
There's no telling how many hundreds of zip ties I've cut against a flat surface when that was the only option. You run into it all the time in an industrial setting. I guess if you haven't done it, or needed to do it, it just doesn't exist as a "realistic cutting task" ?

I've given the spyderedge a fair chance by attempting all the tasks I use a pe for, and only found a very few that it's as good or better at.

I guess there's no need to list anymore unrealistic cutting tasks the spyderedge can't do, or is horrible at, so I'm out.
Interesting... To be honest I never really paid attention but I don’t think that’s anything I encounter on a regular basis or I grab something different from my tool box cuz it’s right in front of me (I’m an automotive technician).

I didn’t mean to be offensive in any way... I was only looking for a more in depth explanation of what kind of cuts you were talking about and clearly I misunderstood as others seem to have followed. My apologies.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

jpm2 wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:44 am

Fair enough. I guess it's not something I have ever been unable to tackle with SE but I see what you're saying. No offense meant, jpm2.

For the record, I do like and use PE as well as SE. To paraphrase a well-known saying, they're both good, just different. ;)
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:46 am
jpm2 wrote:

This is why I like to have a little PE at the tip. It's also a cut that in 3 years I honestly haven't had to do so some people's routines may just differ. For pretty much everything else I've seen SE to outperform PE.
I couldn't agree with you more. Because the one Spyderedged folder I use for some of the most brutal jobs in my 440V, Golden, Co made NATIVE model. It has about 3/8ths to 1/2 inch PE tip on it and it sure comes in handy on occasions. And I can't begin to tell you all how many really mean cutting jobs I've done with that folder. And the extra PE tip really has helped in several jobs over the years.

Also I'm getting to the point to where I've decided that I could more easily get along with one Spyderedged folder a lot better than I could if I were marooned somewhere with one plain edged folder. You can just do far more rough jobs with a SE than you can do with a PE blade. Not to mention you don't need to sharpen a serrated blade nearly as often as you do a plain edged.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:46 am
jpm2 wrote:

i actually had to perform this kind of cut once in the last few years. there was something zip tied to my kid's new bike and it was tightened all the way down so you couldn't get under it to cut it at all. of course i reached for my se pac salt and used the plain edge at the tip to push through. being that i was push cutting through hard plastic and into a piece of metal on the other side, i would have never used a knife with a more brittle steel, to include s30v. the h1 was perfect for the task.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C