A copper spyderco

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TimButterfield

Re: A copper spyderco

Post by TimButterfield »

Danke wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:31 am
I like the bare copper since it will change a lot with use. These are all the same Blade HQ PM2. Current rolling back to when it first started changing.
That's a cool progression. Thanks for showing it.

If the weight of full copper is an issue, could there be a copper clad material? That would let the copper show fully and change over time while, hopefully, keeping the weight down from a full copper scale.
dullmaker

Post by dullmaker »

Manix 2 lightweight, copper weave carbon fiber.
Danke

Post by Danke »

TimButterfield wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:43 am
Danke wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:31 am
I like the bare copper since it will change a lot with use. These are all the same Blade HQ PM2. Current rolling back to when it first started changing.
That's a cool progression. Thanks for showing it.

If the weight of full copper is an issue, could there be a copper clad material? That would let the copper show fully and change over time while, hopefully, keeping the weight down from a full copper scale.
You can electro plate copper for sure but you have to put it on a conductive material. I guess it would come down to the cost of making pure copper scales or some other material to put the copper on.
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Raffir has other brass, copper & bronze options... https://raffir.com/raffir-materials/raf ... fir-noble/

•• Beau
Danke

Post by Danke »

Glow in the dark!!!

RamZar

Post by RamZar »

The Chaparral platform has been the go to model for different scale materials.

FatCarbon CARBON FIBER Camo Carbon COPPER

FatCarbon FORGED CARBON FIBER “Dark Matter Copper”

FatCarbon CARBON FIBER “Raindrop Copper”

FatCarbon CARBON FIBER “Snakeskin Copper”

• I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I still think a Chaparral would be a pretty good and obvious choice...

- I mean after all the model is actually meant to display various handle materials.
- And they do have the basic "construction plan" for a metal handle Chap already with the TI versions.
- As mentioned before the small and thin footprint would keep the overall absolute weight still reasonably low

Now I am not really a fan of slick handles and comparably heavy folders - but a Chap in copper would be cool, no doubt.
Great knife, combined with the beautiful way copper ages and shows use... a win imo.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 1:33 pm
I still think a Chaparral would be a pretty good and obvious choice...

- As mentioned before the small and thin footprint would keep the overall absolute weight still reasonably low

Now I am not really a fan of slick handles and comparably heavy folders - but a Chap in copper would be cool, no doubt.

A solid copper Chaparral would be really nice. Make the scales as thin as possible to keep the weight down and add some texturing so that it’s not so slippery.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

I was a big fan of copper until I started making knife parts with it. I like the color, the way it patinas and the natural anti-bacterial properties.

It just really sucks to work with. Copper is super gummy which is a PITA for cutting, drilling, grinding, even sanding. Then, it's soooo heavy. Even copper liners have to be skeletonized in order to keep the weight from being excessive. Lastly, copper (especially thick pieces like full knife scales) can mess with electronics. I carried a solid copper bottle opener on my keys for a while and it created an interference that wouldn't allow my push button ignition to work on my car because it wasn't getting the signal telling it my keys were within range. As soon as I removed the copper from my pocket, the problem was solved.
Last edited by Xplorer on Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Fastidiotus wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 2:16 am

Sprint run the Caribbean plain edge leaf blade in s90v.

There is such a thing as copper plated carbon fiber. I'm not aware of anyone using it in knife scales. I'd love to see it alternate layered with conventional c.f. and with the grip pattern of the Caribbean it would be the perfect platform to show off the materials.

I love the idea of a copper weave. Seems like it would give it a nice texture too.
I looked them up... SAT Plating. I wonder how it would hold up on a knife handle though.
•• Beau
VandymanG

Post by VandymanG »

Would love a copper knife as an EDC KNIFE. Love how copper gets banged up in the pocket and the patina from use gives it a rustic look. I have a copper handle knife but don’t use it because the scales are too slippery. Would there be anyway to give the handles some texture.
Greg

* EDC - - - PM2 - S45VN, PM2 - Crucarta, Native 5 - CRUWEAR, Manix 2 LW - CPM M4

Mules in current use M398 and K294
kriezek

Post by kriezek »

Cuz I really like DLC blades, Delicas, and copper, I took the scales off a Delica Pink and replaced em with some Flytanium copper. Unseen in the photo is the Lynch deep carry clip. Then I added a short fobyard with a Schmuckatelli Copper One Eyed Jack Skull to finish it off. Altogether, it weighs 164 grams / 5.78 oz.
Top 5 6 - Stretch, Delica 4, Mantra 3, Smock, PM2, Techno 2
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The truth is, that a copper Spyderco wouldn't sell. A few would buy them and post pictures, but in reality the knives would be too heavy, and some find the smell off putting. Such a knife would be slick, too. Something like lightning strike carbon fiber would be good and Spyderco has done something similar in the past.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:09 am
The truth is, that a copper Spyderco wouldn't sell. A few would buy them and post pictures, but in reality the knives would be too heavy, and some find the smell off putting. Such a knife would be slick, too. Something like lightning strike carbon fiber would be good and Spyderco has done something similar in the past.
What about the copper exclusives commissioned by BladeHQ that all sold out? They’re not “too slick” either. They’re comparable to pretty much any other flat metal knife scales. (Aluminum, stainless steel, titanium, etc.)

I’m just a fan of copper accessories in general. Back when I put effort into assembling an “EDC” copper was the last trend I landed on. Still love it though. Really any scale material with “copper” in it would be acceptable to me.

Whether it’s a variant of Fatcarbon with copper or just copper itself, I would love to see a copper Lil Native!
- Nick :bug-red
VandymanG

Post by VandymanG »

Doc Dan wrote:
Umm, why does weight keep coming up? The Ken Onion Leek that I have is not heavy at all. I just went and double checked the knife and it has no smell at all. It does have a beautiful patina though. The only problem I have with it is that it’s flat with no contouring/texture worked into it. I have severe psoriatic arthritis which has done severe damage to my hands so the size and lack of texture make it hard for me to handle. Turned out ok because my daughter did the cute/cool thing and claimed it, just like the lil native I bought. The lil native is i at Syracuse University, New York and the Leek is in my safe, assisted opening knives are illegal in New York. It’ll give my daughter a knife to carry when she visits for the holidays. That and she’s going to need it cause I’m using duck tape on all her gifts, gotta slow her down somehow. Oh and the lil native in black G10 gave me the same issues as the copper Leek. Both are too small and both have no texturing or contouring. Size, contouring, and texture are all factors when the hands are beat up. But otherwise copper handles are just fine when done well. I would have more but I’m focused on acquiring different knife steels currently.
Greg

* EDC - - - PM2 - S45VN, PM2 - Crucarta, Native 5 - CRUWEAR, Manix 2 LW - CPM M4

Mules in current use M398 and K294
kobold

Post by kobold »

How about a copper clad super steel blade?
Last edited by kobold on Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Danke

Post by Danke »

Copper does not smell. If you could smell copper then the metal would be subliming at room temperature. If that was true it would just continue to turn to vapour until there was nothing left.

Now at this point someone's going to tell about how they got some really stinky pennies; spoiler alert they weren't smelling the pennies.

They were smelling the body odour of the previous person or their own BO.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Doc Dan wrote:

The weight thing is why I personally would opt for a Chaparral, cause its absolute weight would still not be too high in a "copper edition".

Extrapolating from the PM2:

Regular G10 PM2: 3.8 oz, BHQ Copper exclusive 7.4 oz - so almost double the weight

Chap Sun and moon
(being a G10 Chap): 2.3 oz, so a going by this calculation a copper Chap could come in at around 4.3 , 4.4 oz.

Yes, really heavy for such a small knife, but absolutely seen something I would still carry and use since copper is just such a cool and interesting handle material (and I normally neither like heavy nor slick handled folders, but in a copper Chap I´d happily swallow that).
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Yeah, copper is a heavy metal and they use it as a lead substitute in bullets, though it isn't as heavy as lead. It certainly looks good, that is a given. I like the looks, also. And copper does have a smell. Some people don't have the ability to smell it, but many do. It smells like a bag of old pennies (not so much the newer zinc pennies). This is the same as many men being color blind to some degree. Because they can't distinguish minute shifts of color for them there isn't any. Just so with copper and other metals.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Danke

Post by Danke »

So for starters.

1) Metal does not "smell" unless the metal in question evaporates at room temperature.

2) Copper in not a substitute for lead in bullets. Copper prevents lead deposits in the bore or damage from steel core AP rounds.

3) I didn't look into the colour blind stuff.