Do you actually EDC your favorite knife or...?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ZrowsN1s

Re: Do you actually EDC your favorite knife or...?

Post by ZrowsN1s »

tvenuto wrote:
ZrowsN1s wrote:
tvenuto wrote:Looking at that picture is like fingernails on a chalkboard!
I love a good patina, but rusty knives make me sad. That one wasn't so bad though.
It wasn't, but the nature of red rust is such that it facilitates further corrosion. So, there is actually no way to "pause" it there. You either remove the rust or it gets worse.

"Patina" is a different form of oxide without this property, so it effectively halts further corrosion by blocking access to the steel beneath. This is what aluminum does automatically, which is why it "doesn't corrode."
good point.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
STAK

Post by STAK »

:spyder: I usualy try to purchase two or three of any new SPIDIE I deside to EDC so if I lost it :confused: or break it :rolleyes: or something else happens and withdraw it, I will have it all new again ... You know, "two is one and one is none" ;) ... :spyder:
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Brock O Lee wrote:
Cujobob wrote:I like all of my knives and carry what I feel like on a particular day.
This. It's too difficult to pick an outright favourite as it changes all the time...
I tend to fall into this category. Also I have different categories of favorites, like what it's to be used for, where it'll be used, etc.

The last four or five that I would give up if they were being taken away from me -- this would be my strongest criterion for my favorites, and only about half of them are among the ones I carry the most... the rest are being held back as cherished backups, but if all the rest were gone, I would gladly carry them every day ;)
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Surfingringo wrote:I actually carry my favorites daily. I couldn't classify them as favorites and not carry them. You'll note i'm using the plural form though and that's because, like you, it has gotten difficult for me to say what's my favorite. These days its a battle between pm2, Stretch and Mantra. Those are definitely the 3 folders I would keep if I had to get rid of everything else.

The Millie would likely be in the top 3 but alas, the castration potential of a larger tip down folder IWB at 1 o'clock keep the the Millie on the sidelines most days.
What happened to the SE Pac Salt ? :eek: I know what happened to the Delica: it was replaced by the Mantra ;)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

This turned out to be a pretty interesting thread, because the answers weren't what I was looking for. Maybe I didn't ask the question the right way. What I meant was, do you have a favorite knife that you CAN'T carry, for whatever reason (blade length laws, too big for the office, or just not practical for EDC even though you like it so much). I'm with you guys on only carrying knives I like, so in that way all my knives are favorites and so I always carry a favorite, but lately my go to #1 is the Military, and there are times when I probably should be carrying something smaller. I also carry a lot of crap with me at work so I haven't been carrying a second/smaller knife so when I need to cut something it's the Military or nothing. I haven't even had a Ladybug on my keys for a while which is kinda weird for me.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

elena86 wrote:
Surfingringo wrote:I actually carry my favorites daily. I couldn't classify them as favorites and not carry them. You'll note i'm using the plural form though and that's because, like you, it has gotten difficult for me to say what's my favorite. These days its a battle between pm2, Stretch and Mantra. Those are definitely the 3 folders I would keep if I had to get rid of everything else.

The Millie would likely be in the top 3 but alas, the castration potential of a larger tip down folder IWB at 1 o'clock keep the the Millie on the sidelines most days.
What happened to the SE Pac Salt ? :eek: I know what happened to the Delica: it was replaced by the Mantra ;)
Edit: oops, looks like my response didn't go through this morning. What I meant to respond with was that I still love my pacific Salt and it remains my most used folder but I answered this thread from a purely "edc" knife perspective. And yeah, I am very content to edc the Pacific Salt but I try not to. It gets plenty of use on the kayak and if I start toting it the rest of the time too then there just won't be enough love to go around for all the others. ;)
Last edited by Surfingringo on Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Evil D wrote:This turned out to be a pretty interesting thread, because the answers weren't what I was looking for. Maybe I didn't ask the question the right way. What I meant was, do you have a favorite knife that you CAN'T carry, for whatever reason (blade length laws, too big for the office, or just not practical for EDC even though you like it so much). I'm with you guys on only carrying knives I like, so in that way all my knives are favorites and so I always carry a favorite, but lately my go to #1 is the Military, and there are times when I probably should be carrying something smaller. I also carry a lot of crap with me at work so I haven't been carrying a second/smaller knife so when I need to cut something it's the Military or nothing. I haven't even had a Ladybug on my keys for a while which is kinda weird for me.
The Military is arguably my favorite all around folder but I have rarely carried one because tip down is not a safe option with IWB carry at 1 o'clock...especially on a large folder. There is potential for serious tragedy carrying that way. I have a couple of new ones (52100 and cruwear) that have been converted to tip up carry and they are getting carried more than any of my other folders. We shall see.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Surfingringo wrote:
Evil D wrote:This turned out to be a pretty interesting thread, because the answers weren't what I was looking for. Maybe I didn't ask the question the right way. What I meant was, do you have a favorite knife that you CAN'T carry, for whatever reason (blade length laws, too big for the office, or just not practical for EDC even though you like it so much). I'm with you guys on only carrying knives I like, so in that way all my knives are favorites and so I always carry a favorite, but lately my go to #1 is the Military, and there are times when I probably should be carrying something smaller. I also carry a lot of crap with me at work so I haven't been carrying a second/smaller knife so when I need to cut something it's the Military or nothing. I haven't even had a Ladybug on my keys for a while which is kinda weird for me.
The Military is arguably my favorite all around folder but I have rarely carried one because tip down is not a safe option with IWB carry at 1 o'clock...especially on a large folder. There is potential for serious tragedy carrying that way. I have a couple of new ones (52100 and cruwear) that have been converted to tip up carry and they are getting carried more than any of my other folders. We shall see.
Hi, Lance. I'd be very interested in maybe a link to pics or information about converting Millies to tip up carry. Someone else mentioned "having it done" recently, and I'd like to see the results... also... what's this about your Pac Salt :confused:
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
freebird610

Post by freebird610 »

I only like knives I carry. If I don't carry it it gets traded or sold. Knives become my favorites from carrying and using them.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

DougC-3 wrote:
Surfingringo wrote:
Hi, Lance. I'd be very interested in maybe a link to pics or information about converting Millies to tip up carry. Someone else mentioned "having it done" recently, and I'd like to see the results... also... what's this about your Pac Salt :confused:
Chad just posted this up in the mods thread, real nice work :)

//forum.spyderco.com/viewto ... start=2620
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Slicydicey

Post by Slicydicey »

Well I do but the criteria of a favourite knife is one that I would carry. My favourite knife right now is a native 5 lw that I carry everyday. I guess if and when I get my spidechef will determine wether I would carry a favourite knife that is much more expensive.
My spydie history Blue DELICA ffg, Dragonfly Salt, Orange dragonfly 2,Tenacious, PM2, Orange DELICA, Manix 2 LW S110V, Native 5 LW, para 3, cutlery shoppe orange S90V LW Native 5, Native 5 Salt
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

My favorite for the moment is the knife I carry...
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

Well, if you're referring to a favorite :spyder: that I CAN'T carry for whatever reason, it'll be any :spyder: that I can't carry on an airplane, which, per current TSA regulations, is ALL of them as well as my Leatherman Super Tool 200... I hate leaving home without it or any of my pocket knives.
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

farnorthdan wrote: Chad just posted this up in the mods thread, real nice work :)

//forum.spyderco.com/viewto ... start=2620
Thanks for the link, Dan -- It looks like great work! I've got to spend more time on that thread.
EDC Honeybee

Post by EDC Honeybee »

Yep, my Manix with custom scales. I made some ctek crunch scales for it, did the ceramic ball bearing mod, and gave it a near-mirror edge. I cant carry it most of the time since it is too large and heavy for my work clothes, and the blade is too long for knife laws in a few places I frequent. That is the only reason I have held off on a PM2, I worry it will be the same situation. Already have scale material ready to mod a PM3 when they are released.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Yep. Sure do.
Going back to Caly.
freebird610

Post by freebird610 »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:My favorite for the moment is the knife I carry...
Exactly!