PARA-MILITARY 3 (wish list)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I have a few things I want.

1. Option for Wharncliff blade.
2. Option for Serrated, not to be related to #1 unless the market demands it.
3. Option for a heavier duty one with a 50% thicker lock bar, 4mm thick blade, non-distal taper (ala Super Leaf), possibly titanium scales, but not a frame compression lock.

I would have to look over the knife construction to come up with more. Would it be possible to reduce the size of the hump at the end of the handle by say, 1/8"? Are there any changes we could do to the choil? Maybe a smooth choil option.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

Military liner lock. My favorite lock type.
An option for SE

Everything else is fine.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

angusW wrote:Hawkbill blade Para 2 :)
I was actually thinking that offering different blade shapes might be the only improvement I could offer for the PM 2.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Pretty sure I'm alone here - make it a back lock, yet still light.
- best wishes, Jazz.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I know there are already a ton of 3 inch knives in the lineup but I would leave the para2 alone and come up with a 3 inch version(military scout?). I prefer golden spydies since I live here and I prefer thumb ramps which the native lacks. I would buy a 3 inch Golden, CO knife with a big thumb ramp that locks. I would also like a deep carry clip.
_centurio_

Post by _centurio_ »

More "High End Steels" available for the PM(3) would be insane. In my opinion the handle is perfect.

I don't like the bushing because everyone should be able to choose the friction by himself.

Fixed version would be insane too.

:-)
MM169

Post by MM169 »

Let is like it is its Perfect
Bring some Sprint Runs
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Oh, yes. Deep carry clip for sure. The high ride is my least favorite feature of my most favorite spydies. I deal with masses of relatively thin lines every day and end up with my knife snagged out of my pocket several times a week.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

NoFair wrote:Military liner lock. My favorite lock type.
An option for SE

Everything else is fine.
Yeah, if we're going to bring back this old thread, I'll join with you: I'd love a linerlock and/or RIL framelock Para.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Deeper pocket clip( but not wire).
Shorter and more refined handle.
I'd also like to see a bone or hard wood handle sprint.
And of course a 3V steel sprint.
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

elena86 wrote:Deeper pocket clip( but not wire).
Shorter and more refined handle.
I'd also like to see a bone or hard wood handle sprint.
And of course a 3V steel sprint.
I guess I am opposite with the factr I want a longer handle :p
Fresh Eddie Fresh

Post by Fresh Eddie Fresh »

An FRN/lightweight Para would be sort of neat.
free2game

Post by free2game »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:Nope...I think that the massive choil takes away too much edge, and I would like to see a smaller choil, backed into the handle slightly with the palm swell made slightly less extended in order to very slightly flatten out the handle slightly and provide about 1/3 of an inch more edge.

A very unpopular viewpoint I know...but its how I would like it.
I think it would be better to push the handle up a bit more and get rid of the choil totally myself.
MachSchnell

Post by MachSchnell »

[deleted]
Last edited by MachSchnell on Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paladin

Post by paladin »

"Ho-Hum" suggestion:
I can live with or without bushing, whichever is best cost/utility/dependability factor...I trust Sal's judgment here. :spyder:
"Why Not?" suggestion:
Why not have a huge "mega Sprint" of M390...I bet everyone would get behind that offering, plus it would quench some of the gouging of the M390 models on the secondary market. Seems to me the market is nowhere near the saturation point for this super steel based on price/demand. :cool:
"I can dream" suggestion:
My personal dream for many of the G10-scaled models, not just the Para2...Macrotextured sculpted scales such as the Zulu, & Perrin PPT, or similar macro-treatment...basic black in color is ok with me. :)

*I tried to suggest enhancements which would not change the integrity, architecture, or tooling for the model.
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

I would like to see the guard on the handle moved forward and the finger choil removed from the blade (and handle). In other words, increase graspable length of handle while maintaining the same overall handle length. It would lengthen the cutting edge without increasing the overall blade length.
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

JNewell wrote:Yeah, if we're going to bring back this old thread, I'll join with you: I'd love a linerlock and/or RIL framelock Para.
I third this though not everyone will agree with us (some legit concerns like closing the lock but, mostly parroted jargon). It may be viewed as a step backward. Spyderco has the liner lock mastered and a liner lock PM3 ALONG with other new variations would serve me very well.

How about separate models:
Millie 1
Millie 2: Stop lock maybe
"Mini" Millie: Exact smaller version of the Millie with liner lock and tip up.
PM2
PM3: Replies on this thread. My only request is they make enough to go around :)
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy
TheChunk91

Post by TheChunk91 »

The para 2 is design perfection the way it is, theres nothing to change IMO. A military 2 would be cool but not if the original was discontinued.
grewich

Post by grewich »

I'd like a para with non-nested liners, that way I can make scales for it.

P. s. I've alternated between my GB and Southard for about a year. I read this thread and I put them down in exchange for my para2. Does this happen to anyone else?
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

FCM415 wrote:I third this though not everyone will agree with us (some legit concerns like closing the lock but, mostly parroted jargon). It may be viewed as a step backward. Spyderco has the liner lock mastered and a liner lock PM3 ALONG with other new variations would serve me very well.

How about separate models:
Millie 1
Millie 2: Stop lock maybe
"Mini" Millie: Exact smaller version of the Millie with liner lock and tip up.
PM2
PM3: Replies on this thread. My only request is they make enough to go around :)
The Mini-Millie probably never gets to the drawing board, much less off it, but that would be really nice. As knives get smaller, I tend to favor a framelock with a big cutout, but either would be a great knife.

It's nice to throw things out in threads like this, but the great thing about Spyderco is that there is this restless impetus to experiment and innovate. Probably not even 20% of any new year's models appeal to me, but I really appreciate their unwillingness to rest on their laurels and I enjoy seeing what they're doing. :spyder: