Poll: how many Spydercos do you own?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

How many Spydercos do you own?

0-5
21%
6-10
16%
11-20
13%
21-30
13%
31-40
6%
41-50
4%
51-100
14%
101-250
10%
251-500
3%
over 500
0%

Total votes: 261

DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

That is a nice collection there Tony! Definitely a couple that I would love to have myself! MW lighweight AUS *...PE Black Native S30V....**** you got some nice stuff.
On the hunt for...
I_like_sharp_things

Post by I_like_sharp_things »

Assuming each knife in this thread costs around $75 (give or take for more or less expensive models) there is somewhere between $67,000 and $113,000 worth of Spydero knives amongst all the people who have voted so far.
Spyder Count: 7
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

The actual count is........................453....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
Bluntrauma

Post by Bluntrauma »

casey1 wrote:i believe that would be Deacon :)
Why does that serve as no surprise. I should have known! :)
Sometimes you gotta kick at the darkness until it bleeds daylight.

AKA: Liveitloud on Blade Forums, USN, EDC, Benchmade forums and basically everywhere but here.
liveit_loud on Ebay.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Evil D wrote:Paul, just curious but with over 500 knives, do you keep insurance on those? I never really thought about insurance for knives, but wow that's a LOT and i imagine there's quite a bit of money invested so property insurance would be a good idea.
Yes, but probably not enough.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Stefan Roth

Post by Stefan Roth »

Only 2 so far, a Manix2 and a Para2. I'd like to get a FFG Ladybug, but right now, there is no money left fo new knives.
Gofannon

Post by Gofannon »

Around 60 for the moment...
"The things you own end up owning you."
Tyler, Fight Club

:spyder: My spyderco :spyder:

Geoffrey
DiKa

Post by DiKa »

Lucky number 58 :D
TCRooster

Post by TCRooster »

12 right now, but that'll go up again soon...
Waco

Post by Waco »

Those of you who have a lot, do you have a long rotation of daily carries? Do you keep them on display? Keep them stacked neatly in a safe?
The Mentaculous

Post by The Mentaculous »

I have a humble, yet respectable collection of (I believe) 32 knives. If you include the few that I've owned and gifted away or lost, it's more like 35 or 36.

I'm happy with the ones I have, and sometime just stare at them and bask in their awesomeness, but I feel like I have like maybe 10% of the total amount of Spydies that I want :D . I try to be content as possible with what I have though--I'm lucky to afford any of them, so I count my blessings, but still dream and drool over the ones I don't have yet.

It's amazing though, that I can have knives like the XHP Military and Manix, the whole Sage series, great Japanese blades in VG-10 and ZDP like the Caly 3 CF, 3.5, Michael Walker, Stretch CF, Red Persian, and JD Smith, and exotic steels like M4 in my Bradley, and 20CP Para 2---All of them without spending over $150 on a single one of them! I guess I am a deal-hunter :D .

And I've only been collecting seriously for a bit over a year (before that, I had only gotten one Spydie in like 06/07ish). Yet, I conservatively estimated the value piece by piece, and I believe my collection is easily worth at least $2k.

PS-BTW, interesting poll, and I appreciate the post! The results are cool to look at and see the trends. It seems like the 30-50 range is more sparse, and the majority are in the 30 or less range, or the 50-100 range. It makes sense, since the real serious collectors have a ton, and many of the enthusiasts have a handful but not more than 25 (I guess that is a lot of knives! I remember when I had 12, and I thought I had it made in the shade!)
gdwtvb

Post by gdwtvb »

I don't think the poll shows the entire picture, as I currently only own five spyderco knives. thing is I buy them much more often than my pittance of a collection would suggest. They simply make excellent gifts, especially for a seventeen year old son who enjoys knives even more than his father. (Just realized my 'boy' turns eighteen in less than a month...feeling old...probably should order another Spyderco to help me through this crisis.)

also I always have multiple ones on my to buy list, it's just when I get more I feel more generous.

Grizz
Pneumothorax

Post by Pneumothorax »

The Mentaculous wrote:PS-BTW, interesting poll, and I appreciate the post! The results are cool to look at and see the trends. It seems like the 30-50 range is more sparse, and the majority are in the 30 or less range, or the 50-100 range. It makes sense, since the real serious collectors have a ton, and many of the enthusiasts have a handful but not more than 25 (I guess that is a lot of knives! I remember when I had 12, and I thought I had it made in the shade!)
Interesting point. Im in the 41-50 club and it appears that Im in "no man's land" - my future looks to be either doubling and tripling my collection or going backwards by selling things off!! Since Im both too sentimental and too lazy to part with my knives, I guess I have to go in the other direction!! Sorry, kids, no college education for you!! :eek: :D
2011: G10 Dragonfly ^ Breeden Rescue ^ Bug ^ Honeybee ^ Centofante 3 ^ Woodcraft Mule ^SFO Visit Buys = Frn Stretch & Native 4 CF!! ^ Salt 1 ^ Burgundy Calypso ZDP-189 ^ Walker Blue Almite ^ Native 5 ^ Squeak ^ Chaparral ^ Urban Olive Green ^ STREET BEAT!!...
2012: Caly Jr (vintage/NIB!), SS Navigator-fave LBK of all time, Jester, Orange Dodo, CS Orange PM2,Techno, Bradley! AIR!!
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

I don't have mine in any sort of display case, but I did go so far as to buy a toolchest dedicated to knives and knife paraphernalia such as sharpeners, torx drivers, etc.

I have only been growing my collection for a couple of years. I bought my first Spyderco way back in the late 1980's, an economy model (before the days of internet research :) ) and only remember seeing stainless steel handled models of Spyies in the knife stores at the time. A bit later I found an FRN Endura SE with molded clip at a gun show, but I seldom carried it as I was surrounded by "sheeple" afraid of the SE blade.

Many of the knife stores in the malls near me closed, and I wandered off into cheaper brands such as you'd find at Walmart (and I *never* saw a Spydie at any of the Walmarts near me!) and only stumbled across this forum in time to find out about the 2009 Forum Native knife. The addiction grew from there, as people on this forum made it seem "normal" to own things like a whole series of Kiwis, or enough Military models to display as a "millie wheel" :D .

I don't even want to know how much $$ I've spent on knives in the last two years :) .
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
yossarian

Post by yossarian »

Four users have a permanent home. A couple more still in boxes push me into the next bracket. If those two don't stay around, then they'll go to finance another :spyder:

I have a couple of Byrds also - not sure if we're counting them or not.
A.P.F.

Post by A.P.F. »

I quit counting when I hit 50, but there always seems to be room for one more.
Regards, Al

The "soul" of hi-tech materials like G-10, H1, ZDP, Titanium, carbon fiber, etc is found in the performance. That appreciation of the "spirit" comes out in time, after use. It's saying, you can depend on me! I'm there for you no matter what! - Sal Glesser
BAL

Post by BAL »

[quote="The Mentaculous"]
PS-BTW, interesting poll, and I appreciate the post! The results are cool to look at and see the trends. It seems like the 30-50 range is more sparse, and the majority are in the 30 or less range, or the 50-100 range. It makes sense, since the real serious collectors have a ton, and many of the enthusiasts have a handful but not more than 25 QUOTE]

I tend to agree with your observations on this. Good job. I think that this trend will probably hold true as more vote.
BDNX

Post by BDNX »

I have 22 as of right now..

Looking to sell off 3 or 4 of those to fund a new small Sebenza....that and I'm gonna be all over the Yojimbo 2 when its released.... :) :) :)

Then I probably need to chill for a while...but I think we all know how that ends up going..lol.
My Spydies: Sharpmaker • Tasman Salt • Saver Salt • Ladybug Hawkbill Salt • Salt 1 • Blue/Gray Meerkat • Burgundy Meerkat • Manix2 Ltwt Translucent Blue • Manix2 Ltwt Blacked Out • Manix2 Backlock • Ladybug 1 Red • Blue UKPK • Tusk • Blue Lava • Dog Tag • Bug • Honeybee • Grasshopper • Stepped Ti Chaparral • McBee • AEB-L Urban
BAL

Post by BAL »

I also am anxious for the Yo2. Mike Janich said that it would be late November, so it will stretch into December. I just hope that it is in my pocket by xmas. The wife has suggested that it could be a xmas present. Of course, it has to be out by then. I am not sure if one will be enough though..
buddy54ck

Wow !!!

Post by buddy54ck »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:That is a nice collection there Tony! Definitely a couple that I would love to have myself! MW lighweight AUS *...PE Black Native S30V....**** you got some nice stuff.
:spyder: :spyder:
Hey Tony,
To Quote Death By Snoo Snoo,"**** you got some nice stuff, "
Well I would consider that an "UNDERSTATEMENT," but...............

....."**** Tony You Have Some Really Nice Stuff There !!!

Really nice Collection, Enjoy Every One Of Them !!!
Charlie
:spyder: :spyder: