The hands down best multi tool ever made?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Simple Man

Post by Simple Man »

Well, thanks to all of you, my backup now has a backup.... :D :rolleyes:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... &viewitem=
Romans 8:31 ....If God is for us, who can be against us? - <><

The Spyderco hole is a rotating mechanical assembly of one part.

".....tractors don't have to look like Ferraris" -Sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Wow that's a great price, congrats :D
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
RichardMitchell

Post by RichardMitchell »

I love using a combo of the Skeletool and also the PC250MTK around the house! I have had the Porter-Cable oscillating multi-tool for a while now. I decided to buy this because I had used a friend's high-dollar name brand multi-tool and really liked it, but I couldn't see paying triple the price for the big name. I have used this every day for many different things including cabinet and deck work. The "no tool" blade change is great and time saving. The 10-foot cord is a good length. Overall, it's very comparable to the Big Name Brand. The only downside is that the blades are a bit pricey and don't last very long.
Stay Sharp
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Just like there is no perfect knife, I doubt if there is one perfect multi-too. But, I have a SOG PowerLock which I have swapped some of the individual tools and also a Spyderco SpydeRench (discontinued). By having both of these on my belt I have almost every small tool need covered. Many times you need two tools and need to use them at the same time. With one multi-tool this is impossible (except for the Spyderco SpydeRench). The SpydeRench can be seperated to use a screwdriver and adj. wrench at the same time. This is a great feature. Anyway, with two multitools you can have most everything except a table saw. I love most of SOG's MT's because you can remove the scissors and put in a wire stripper (or whatevery you need). And Spyderco's MT is a great tool. Everyone should keep their eyes out for a used one for sale.

Jack
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

My favorite is the Leatherman Charge. I thought I would like the Skeletool for EDC but I have too many good folders to displace one of them with the Skeletool. I bought the Charge thinking I might carry it in my pocket while I was carrying a folder but sometimes it is too much. I do carry the Charge sometimes on weekends in addition to a big folder.

AnderHbr

Re: The hands down best multi tool ever made?

Post by AnderHbr »

I carry a Leatherman Charge ALX everyday.
I have other multi's, SOG Paratool, Leatherman (old) Wave, Victorinox Swisstool X, but i mostly carry the ALX .
Of all my multis its the only one i can pocket carry with reasonable comfort, it lives in the coin pocket in my jeans.
I really like the ALX but i admit its not the "best" at anything compared to other best multi tools , its more a "jack of all trades master of none" really.
The main weaknesses are the nose pliers are small. They don’t bend, even when you put a lot of pressure on them and there are no scissors.

Other than that i love the thing.
The number of functions it has in relation to its small size is its main selling point.
I would put it second in line after the Swisschamp regarding best functionality per ounce.
All other multis are bigger and heavier than the ALX without proportionally more functionality.
However the flip side being that bigger multis will usually be proportionally stronger, and if you need really strong/beefy/big pliers the ALX is not for you.
But i survived for years using the Swisschamp pliers (which are much smaller than those on the ALX ), personally i have never really needed super large strong pliers.

A lot of people here recommend the Victorinox Swisstool Spirit.
As a result i just bought a used one on amazon.
When it gets here i may switch it with the ALX for a while to test it out!
JD Spydo

Re:

Post by JD Spydo »

crm7290 wrote:Look into the victorinox spirit. Maybe there is a variation for you.
There are a lot of good quality multi-tools out on the market but I've been carrying two of them for over 10 years and I've just had the very best results with a VICTORINOX Swiss Tool X. I've also got a first generation Swiss Tool made by VICTORINOX and it also is well machined and precisely built. Both of mine have been through some extremely hard use and I'm 100% sold on VICTORINOX multi-tools.

When you think about it VICTORINOX really had the concept of a multi-tool even for a lot longer than any of their competitors. I really can't recommend a dealer because I got both of mine on Ebay some time back.

I do also dearly adore my Spyderco SPYDERENCH>> but it is not a conventional multi-tool as most of us who use multi-tools are accustomed to. But do give VICTORINOX some consideration.
ThePeacent

Re: Re:

Post by ThePeacent »

JD Spydo wrote:
crm7290 wrote:Look into the victorinox spirit. Maybe there is a variation for you.
There are a lot of good quality multi-tools out on the market but I've been carrying two of them for over 10 years and I've just had the very best results with a VICTORINOX Swiss Tool X. I've also got a first generation Swiss Tool made by VICTORINOX and it also is well machined and precisely built. Both of mine have been through some extremely hard use and I'm 100% sold on VICTORINOX multi-tools.

When you think about it VICTORINOX really had the concept of a multi-tool even for a lot longer than any of their competitors. I really can't recommend a dealer because I got both of mine on Ebay some time back.

I do also dearly adore my Spyderco SPYDERENCH>> but it is not a conventional multi-tool as most of us who use multi-tools are accustomed to. But do give VICTORINOX some consideration.
THat's it. Before knives, my favorite hobby/collection was around SAks nd Multitools. I own or have owned most of them (50+ models from all brands) and even though it's strictly not "my perfect tool" I have to admit that the Spirit is hard to beat in utility, durability and versatility especially in regards to its weight and size.

There are tougher tools (ST300), faster tools (Center Drive) and more complex/high tech ones (LM Surge) but in the end this is the champ.
However, after all these years, I think it's worth considering these tools from the main 4 brands below for each category of MT (Victorinox, Gerber, Leatherman, SOG, respectively)

1. Toughness: Swisstool / ST300 / MP1 / Blacktip
2. Compact utility: Spirit / Rebar / Diesel / Powerplier
3. Mini/micro: SAKs / Micra / Dime / Crossgrip
4. Jack of all trades: Spirit / Wave / MP800 / Powerlock
5. Specific use: Wengers / Crunch / Grappler / Paladin tools
6. Basics covered: SAKs / Wingman / MP600 / Pocket Power Plier
7. Cool: Wengers / Skeletool CX / Octane / Switchplier

of course one can make up many more categories, but those are the usual ones that pop up on the forums or people ask recommendations for.
The Spirit and Swisstool are the only 2 MTs from Victorinox, but they ooze quality, usefulness and reliability that's why they haven't been replaced or dethroned by more modern versions or better models.
Try them out, and they'll probably be the last one you "need" ;)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

So far I haven't found one that can replace my Spirit. I think if I could change anything I'd give it replaceable/sharpenable wire cutter blades. The only other complaint I've had is how the tools are all so highly polished that the Phillips head doesn't bite into screws as well as I'd like. Beyond that I use mine everyday for mundane work tasks that aren't worth digging out the individual tool from my tool box. It's also small enough that I truly do EDC it, literally never leave home without it.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I didn't want a tool that would distract me from the job in hand - my old MP600 and Crunch just felt too insubstantial, plus I have big hands.

I actually opted for a Surge. It's a tank. I've swapped out the PE blade for another saw holder, modding it to lock, and the medium screwdriver for the micro.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

Evil D wrote:So far I haven't found one that can replace my Spirit. I think if I could change anything I'd give it replaceable/sharpenable wire cutter blades. The only other complaint I've had is how the tools are all so highly polished that the Phillips head doesn't bite into screws as well as I'd like. Beyond that I use mine everyday for mundane work tasks that aren't worth digging out the individual tool from my tool box. It's also small enough that I truly do EDC it, literally never leave home without it.
some say it's too shiny to use, but that's the true beauty of it, it's functionality! ;)

bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

The Spirit is, for me, the third best multi tool although it really is a toss up between the first three. The full size Swisstool is awesome but it is a brick and lives in my truck. It is the most solid of them all though and can take a beating.

1) First Generation Wave (7.8 oz)
2) Victorinox Craftsman SAK (5.65 oz)
3) Swisstool Spirit (7.4oz)
4) Swisstool (9.85 oz)

The Spirit is more functional than the Craftsman but the Craftsman being a SAK is much lighter than either of the other three.

What I cannot figure out is why Victorinox has incorrectly listed the weight of the Spirit for MANY, MANY years now. For a long time they listed it at 5.7 ounces and now they have it listed at 8.7 ounces. It weighs 7.4 ounces. Why can't they get it right? Most dealers list it at 5.7 which is very misleading.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?