Lil Native Light Weight?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dull&blunt

Re: Lil Native Light Weight?

Post by dull&blunt »

I just hope they eventually make a comp lock version and of this knife. Or CQI the compression lock versions with the upgrades.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

As much as I would like to love the LW LN, I'm disappointed that they maintained the hard edges of the N5 LW, and did not go the way of the Para 3 LW's contoured edges. Choking up the choil is going to be very uncomfortable.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

dull&blunt wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2023 5:11 pm
I just hope they eventually make a comp lock version and of this knife. Or CQI the compression lock versions with the upgrades.
What is it about the compression lock versions that make you think they need to be CQI'd and upgraded?
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

nerdlock wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2023 7:08 pm
Choking up the choil is going to be very uncomfortable.
You're kidding...right? Hard edges? People act like the N5 LWs have absolutely no radius around the edges. I don't have large hands and I've never felt discomfort while using any version of the Native 5. The Lil Native LW is even smaller. Given the size I'm glad they're making the handle just like the N5LW
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

nerdlock wrote:
As much as I would like to love the LW LN, I'm disappointed that they maintained the hard edges of the N5 LW, and did not go the way of the Para 3 LW's contoured edges. Choking up the choil is going to be very uncomfortable.
I don’t really have an aversion to the squared edges but the jimping will contribute the discomfort, in my opinion. Aside from the jimping, I suspect I will like the Lil Native LW just as much as the G10 Lil Natives.
- Nick :bug-red
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2023 7:29 pm
nerdlock wrote:
You're kidding...right? Hard edges? People act like the N5 LWs have absolutely no radius around the edges. I don't have large hands and I've never felt discomfort while using any version of the Native 5. The Lil Native LW is even smaller. Given the size I'm glad they're making the handle just like the N5LW

Unfortunately, I'm not. I'm not the only one who has said something about the N5 LW's blockiness and about the reason why I only have one N5 LW in my collection. I really have a hard time using the choil for extended periods and putting pressure on the knife, the edges dig into my middle digit of the index finger, moreso than the G10 version. Good for you and the majority that don't have a problem with this, I guess, but as it is, my experience has disavowed me from buying Golden LW's with the exception of the Para 3 LW.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

nerdlock wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2023 7:58 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2023 7:29 pm
nerdlock wrote:

Unfortunately, I'm not. I'm not the only one who has said something about the N5 LW's blockiness and about the reason why I only have one N5 LW in my collection. I really have a hard time using the choil for extended periods and putting pressure on the knife, the edges dig into my middle digit of the index finger, moreso than the G10 version. Good for you and the majority that don't have a problem with this, I guess, but as it is, my experience has disavowed me from buying Golden LW's with the exception of the Para 3 LW.
All good! I've seen people comment on the Native 5 LW and the Manix 2 LWs. I can put a N5LW in my hand and then a Para 3 LW and they really don't feel much different to me. And I don't exactly have the hardened hands of a construction worker. What kills me is the Sage 5 LW has less radius on the edges than the Native 5 LW. I've seen no complaints about how uncomfortable that one is
dull&blunt

Post by dull&blunt »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2023 7:21 pm
dull&blunt wrote:
What is it about the compression lock versions that make you think they need to be CQI'd and upgraded?
The main improvement I’d like to see is the thinner blade stock. But the jimping would be nice too. I own more Lil Natives than any other knife, but I’d buy more if they brought these improvements over to the comp lock versions.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

dull&blunt wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2023 2:09 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2023 7:21 pm
dull&blunt wrote:
The main improvement I’d like to see is the thinner blade stock. But the jimping would be nice too. I own more Lil Natives than any other knife, but I’d buy more if they brought these improvements over to the comp lock versions.
Ah now I follow. Not sure we'll see the thinner blade stock on the G10 versions but you never know. It's not what I'd call overly thick and cuts just fine. Last night I cut up some cardboard in my recycling bin and then whittled a little on hardwood block on my work bench. It worked fine. To me it's kind of like when people say the Para 3's blade stock is too thick. It cuts fine for me and I don't see it as an issue.

Not having jimping is a non-issue for me too. It's cool and all but I've never missed it on a knife that I have without it

I've thought about the thinner blade stock on the Lil Native LW back lock. I hope they do a boye dent or chamfer the lock bar. Otherwise people will be complaining it hurts their thumb like they did with the Chaparrals
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

I’m not sure I’ve seen reliable info on the thickness, but it doesn’t seem to be that thin.
I’d still like a boye dent though
Shmohawk

Post by Shmohawk »

I'm a big fan of the Lil Native.
I have a few and they are at the top range of my most carried list.

To me on paper, thinner blade stock (possibly)+jimping+BL+FRN+contoured finger groove=Chaparral FRN
Which I have, gets plenty of use as well and is an amazing knife.
So I'm not sure I have use for a LNLW.

Sure there a differences.
The Chaparral has a longer blade with a slight ramp.
The handle is marginally longer and much thinner.

Will the FRN handle be thinner than the G10?
How much less than the Chaparral could it weigh?

From a purely rationalistic perspective I don't see where the LNLW fits for me.

All that having been said, I am a big fan of the Lil Native.
I have a few and they are at the top range of my most carried list.
And I'll probably end up picking one of these up :rofl
dull&blunt

Post by dull&blunt »

I wonder why they chose the back lock version to make into an FRN. I assume the comp lock version is more popular. A least it’s the version that always gets sprint runs/exclusives.

Maybe the back lock is easier to implement in FRN? Or maybe the comp lock would still require full liners and therefore wouldn’t be a true ‘lightweight’ version (like the Para3 LW)?
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

dull&blunt wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2023 5:06 pm
I wonder why they chose the back lock version to make into an FRN. I assume the comp lock version is more popular. A least it’s the version that always gets sprint runs/exclusives.

Maybe the back lock is easier to implement in FRN? Or maybe the comp lock would still require full liners and therefore wouldn’t be a true ‘lightweight’ version (like the Para3 LW)?
From other knives like the Para 3 LW and Lil Temp 3 LW, we’ve been told that FRN Compression locks present a unique design challenge because the lock itself is constantly applying lateral pressure to the scales trying to pry them apart.

I would venture to guess the conversion to FRN was just easier to accomplish with the backlock version over the compression lock version. (Also, pure speculation but I tend to think the Lil Native LW might be a sign of the G10 backlock Lil Native being on the way out. I hope not but it wouldn’t surprise me.)
- Nick :bug-red
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Mushroom wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2023 7:40 pm
nerdlock wrote:
I don’t really have an aversion to the squared edges but the jimping will contribute the discomfort, in my opinion. Aside from the jimping, I suspect I will like the Lil Native LW just as much as the G10 Lil Natives.

With the way the LN securely molds in your hands, I never really felt the need for jimping on the choil. I know some folks asked for this, but I honestly think it won't contribute much to securing the grip on the choil... rather I see it as another part on the blade that would need constant cleaning (due to sweat, dirt and dead skin build up).

Seriously though... with all my opinions, I think I'll still be getting one of these, and possibly the future exclusives down the line. Haha!
Araignee

Post by Araignee »

Bumpig this thread as I just wondered the same :
Shmohawk wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2023 4:26 pm
Will the FRN handle be thinner than the G10?
Hopefully we'll receive an answer to this soon enough. In any event, it should at least be thicker than that of the Chaparral LW, in order to be an ergonomic (and marketing) differentiator.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The handle will likely be thinner because the blade is a lot thinner.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050