Schempp Kukri?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Blerv

Re: Schempp Kukri?

Post by Blerv »

I would think the Cho would have a minimal impact on impact strength but most kurkri’s are exceptionally thick.

Fixed blades aside, I adore my original folding Schempp Khukuri. I actually had it reground so the full edge near the pivot was sharpened which makes it much nicer to use but probably like $200 less valuable.
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:04 pm
Not sure where this was made. Picked it up 25 years ago in San Diego. It's my 'coffee table' knife.
I have an old one very similar to this that I use a lot. I love Kukris and I’m always playing around with sketching them, so it’s neat to hear the opinions of the real deal knife makers in this thread.

Learning to use mine taught me a whole lot about knife design and the way a user interacts and responds to said knife’s design features.

Something interesting regarding the “must draw blood” if you unsheath a knife “myth” is that it really reminds of a saying engraved on a Bowie knife that was passed to me from my great uncle.
The bowie was evidently made in Oaxaca, Mexico and has extensive artwork on the blade and words that a friend of mine roughly translated to mean “Do not draw me without a reason and do not sheath me without honor”.
It’s an awesome knife. I’ll have to attach pictures of it sometime.
You can find similar by googling images of an Oaxaca Bowie, although mine is probably the best example I’ve managed to find.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
DerRock

Post by DerRock »

Reject wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:38 pm

PS. :frowning-open-mouth Just looking around at Kukri adds and seeing tempering descriptions like this; "Hi carbon tempered steel blade, steel hardness- spine=22-25 RC, belly=45-46 RC, edge=54-55 RC."
This is true. I almost cut the coin without damaging the cutting edge.

And a light blow to the butt left a noticeable mark on the blade.