Show your collections!

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
The Meat man

Re: Show your collections!

Post by The Meat man »

benben wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:54 am
The Meat man wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:23 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:29 pm
Star Wars vehicle and figures from the mid 1990's. Many are still in their original packaging. I've also got A LOT of basketball/football/baseball cards from the 1980's-1990's (most probably not worth much)

Though I do have a Derek Jeter rookie card :grin-big eyes
Yep we collected baseball cards too. I still have a couple, and my dad has boxes full, some dating all the way back to the 1930's! I haven't kept up with the sport though, so to me the most familiar baseball names are all from the late 90's/early 2000's - Mark McGwire, Tony Gwynn, Sammy Sosa, Greg Madox, Barry Bonds, Curt Schilling, etc.
My only cards of value (to me) is I have the entire starting lineup of the 1975 Big Red Machine after winning the World Series. I worked at a Huge Chevrolet dealership from 1992-1995, one of the parts guys then had two (2) Mantle rookie cards, even then they were VERY valuable!
Wow! I bet they're worth a pretty penny now!!
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
benben

Post by benben »

The Meat man wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:20 pm
benben wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:49 am
The history on this is very cool, thanks for showing us! Have you ever had an appraisal done before, I'm really curious what the value of a coin like this would be?

I have a cigar box with a bunch of coins dated in the late 1800's that belonged to my Dad, I got them after handling his estate, no idea of the value?
Tiberius denarii are particularly sought-after mostly for their biblical/historical significance; even a worn one can cost a couple hundred. I haven't had any of my coins professionally appraised, but this one is in very fine condition, and is probably worth around $500 to $600.

Depending what coins you have they could be worth a lot, or not much. It all depends on the rarity and condition. I'd love to see what you have if you could post a photo!
I'll have to dig them out of the safe, I'll try to get on that tonight. The value of your coin really shocks me, of course you're talking to someone who knows squat about coins, but in my mind....I would have guessed much more!
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

The Meat man wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:05 pm
Here is another coin from my collection, a silver denarius struck AD 17-21 under the rule of Tiberius Caesar:

To give a little background history...when Augustus died in 14 A.D., he was succeeded as Emperor by his stepson, Tiberius Caesar Augustus. Tiberius had been an very effective military leader, and subsequently proved to be a capable and efficient administrator. However, he was less politically adept than Augustus had been, and as a consequence his relationship with the Senate quickly soured to one of mutual resentment and distrust.
Later in life, Tiberius became increasingly reclusive and paranoid, and in 26 A.D. he left Rome altogether, moving to his villa on the island of Capri some 127 miles to the southeast. There he remained, taking little part in political rule until his death in AD 37.
Tiberius was Emperor during Jesus’s three-year ministry and crucifixion. He is mentioned in the Bible just once by name; Luke 3:1 begins: “Now in the fifteenth year of the reign of Tiberius Caesar, . . .”
This coin in particular makes an appearance in Matthew 22, when Jesus was asked whether or not it was lawful to pay taxes to Caesar (at the time, Tiberius):
“But Jesus perceived their wickedness, and said, Why tempt ye me, ye hypocrites? Shew me the tribute money. And they brought unto him a penny. And he saith unto them, Whose is this image and superscription? They say unto him, Caesar's. Then saith he unto them, Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the things that are God's.” (verses 18-21)
The original Greek word translated as “penny” was “denarius”. Very likely, the coin Jesus was shown looked exactly like this one – complete with the image and superscription of Tiberius Caesar.
Phenomenal! You have the history of the coin and it brings everything back to life.

Now I need one! :smlling-eyes
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Can you imagine the impact on your future generations if you passed down a few coins and a family bible, with the request that the coins and possibly other artifacts pass down with the bible? Powerful!
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Naperville wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 1:48 pm
Can you imagine the impact on your future generations if you passed down a few coins and a family bible, with the request that the coins and possibly other artifacts pass down with the bible? Powerful!
We do the Bible passing . Bible is huge with pictures of long ago family pictures. Bible is over hundred years old . I will be passing it on this year to oldest male in next generation. MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:09 pm
Naperville wrote:
We do the Bible passing . Bible is huge with pictures of long ago family pictures. Bible is over hundred years old . I will be passing it on this year to oldest male in next generation. MG2
I looked a couple of times for a family Bible to purchase. I'd like an NIV Bible, leather bound, possibly hardcover, beautifully illustrated, and the edges to be painted with silver or gold to save the pages from oxygen.

Have any recommendations on where to buy a nice bible that will last a couple of hundred years?
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Naperville wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 3:53 pm
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Naperville wrote:
I looked a couple of times for a family Bible to purchase. I'd like an NIV Bible, leather bound, possibly hardcover, beautifully illustrated, and the edges to be painted with silver or gold to save the pages from oxygen.

Have any recommendations on where to buy a nice bible that will last a couple of hundred years?
I really have never researched for a Bible that you have described. I have no doubt they are out there available somewhere. I hope you can find one to start a tradition for future generations. Do you have any very good book stores in your area ? If so maybe they can help and if don’t have one can order for you ? Joliet , Aurora ? MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:13 pm
Naperville wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 3:53 pm
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Naperville wrote:

I really have never researched for a Bible that you have described. I have no doubt they are out there available somewhere. I hope you can find one to start a tradition for future generations. Do you have any very good book stores in your area ? If so maybe they can help and if don’t have one can order for you ? Joliet , Aurora ? MG2
There must be Bible stores in Naperville, Downers Grove or Wheaton. Just haven't Googled it. I've been doing all of my looking while online. Like anything it comes and goes. You know how you mean to do something but something else always comes up....that is where I am.

I need to get back to it and complete the search. I'll let everyone know whatever I buy.

I'd also very much like to get a small high quality video camera and video my mom telling stories about her childhood and burn the videos to DVD. I missed being able to do it with my grandmothers and the time to act is NOW before it is too late.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

benben wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 1:21 pm
The Meat man wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:20 pm
benben wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:49 am
The history on this is very cool, thanks for showing us! Have you ever had an appraisal done before, I'm really curious what the value of a coin like this would be?

I have a cigar box with a bunch of coins dated in the late 1800's that belonged to my Dad, I got them after handling his estate, no idea of the value?
Tiberius denarii are particularly sought-after mostly for their biblical/historical significance; even a worn one can cost a couple hundred. I haven't had any of my coins professionally appraised, but this one is in very fine condition, and is probably worth around $500 to $600.

Depending what coins you have they could be worth a lot, or not much. It all depends on the rarity and condition. I'd love to see what you have if you could post a photo!
I'll have to dig them out of the safe, I'll try to get on that tonight. The value of your coin really shocks me, of course you're talking to someone who knows squat about coins, but in my mind....I would have guessed much more!
Thankfully not! ;) You can get nicer ones than mine and pay maybe up to a couple thousand. That's out of my price range though. As a matter of fact that Tiberius denarius is the most expensive coin I own. The Augustus tetradrachm comes pretty close though.
Both Augustus and Tiberius had long reigns and minted a lot of gold and silver coins, so while they are expensive, especially in good condition, they are not generally uncommon or hard to find. You do need to be aware of fakes and counterfeits though, and be sure to buy only from trusted dealers.
By contrast, the emperor who succeeded Tiberius - Gaius Caesar Augustus Germanicus, better known by his childhood nickname "Caligula" - reigned only 3+ years before he was assassinated, so any coins, especially of Imperial (as opposed to provincial) mintage bearing a good portrait of him are really pricey. I recently saw a nice Caligula sestertius - big bronze/brass coin - sell for over $19,000! :O
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Naperville wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 1:47 pm
The Meat man wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:05 pm
Here is another coin from my collection, a silver denarius struck AD 17-21 under the rule of Tiberius Caesar:

[img]https://i.imgur.com/1G0MopV.jpg[/img

To give a little background history...when Augustus died in 14 A.D., he was succeeded as Emperor by his stepson, Tiberius Caesar Augustus. Tiberius had been an very effective military leader, and subsequently proved to be a capable and efficient administrator. However, he was less politically adept than Augustus had been, and as a consequence his relationship with the Senate quickly soured to one of mutual resentment and distrust.
Later in life, Tiberius became increasingly reclusive and paranoid, and in 26 A.D. he left Rome altogether, moving to his villa on the island of Capri some 127 miles to the southeast. There he remained, taking little part in political rule until his death in AD 37.
Tiberius was Emperor during Jesus’s three-year ministry and crucifixion. He is mentioned in the Bible just once by name; Luke 3:1 begins: “Now in the fifteenth year of the reign of Tiberius Caesar, . . .”
This coin in particular makes an appearance in Matthew 22, when Jesus was asked whether or not it was lawful to pay taxes to Caesar (at the time, Tiberius):
“But Jesus perceived their wickedness, and said, Why tempt ye me, ye hypocrites? Shew me the tribute money. And they brought unto him a penny. And he saith unto them, Whose is this image and superscription? They say unto him, Caesar's. Then saith he unto them, Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the things that are God's.” (verses 18-21)
The original Greek word translated as “penny” was “denarius”. Very likely, the coin Jesus was shown looked exactly like this one – complete with the image and superscription of Tiberius Caesar.
Phenomenal! You have the history of the coin and it brings everything back to life.

Now I need one! :smlling-eyes
Thanks! I love studying the history of the coins and artifacts I own. :)
- Connor

The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Naperville wrote:
That is a great idea!
- Connor

TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I like the little history lessons you give as well Connor. Much appreciated. I try to learn something new every day, so it's nice when I don't even need to find it and it's presented in front of me ;)
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:53 pm
I like the little history lessons you give as well Connor. Much appreciated. I try to learn something new every day, so it's nice when I don't even need to find it and it's presented in front of me ;)
Thanks for the kind words! I'm glad you enjoy it. Digging into the history really helps make it all come alive, as Naperville said. :)
- Connor

Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

JRinFL wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:52 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 7:29 pm
1965-1970 muscle cars are the best. There were even some family cars that had huge, powerful engines during that time.
True. My Dad's '66 Impala hard top coupe had a monster motor in it. It scared my Mom enough that she never finished learning how to drive. It's probably still around as a lowrider out in Cali these days.
I had a '67 Impala SS so I know what you mean. Midnight Blue, it was.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I have a Safety Razor collection. I'll try to get some pictures.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
benben

Post by benben »

64536970-5981-487E-8A61-44C620F97809.jpeg
6BF63E3E-C971-45D0-8435-C1DBA43BC628.jpeg
568390B1-BA57-40EF-93C4-9460A41AB298.jpeg
Here ya go Meat man.
benben

Post by benben »

49587515-02E2-4974-BA79-D55D0C3C433A.jpeg
Probably my most valuable glove, a dry Horween leather Rawlings Pro12TC, it’s a Don Morton Sports exclusive. And wayyyy more fun to play with than those coins I posted! ;)
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

benben wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:47 pm
64536970-5981-487E-8A61-44C620F97809.jpeg6BF63E3E-C971-45D0-8435-C1DBA43BC628.jpeg568390B1-BA57-40EF-93C4-9460A41AB298.jpegHere ya go Meat man.
Interesting! I'll be able to take a closer look later today.
- Connor

The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

benben wrote:
64536970-5981-487E-8A61-44C620F97809.jpeg6BF63E3E-C971-45D0-8435-C1DBA43BC628.jpeg568390B1-BA57-40EF-93C4-9460A41AB298.jpegHere ya go Meat man.
Looks like you've got a number of Morgan silver dollars. They'd be worth anywhere from say $40 each on up depending on condition. If there are rare dates or mint marks they could be worth far more, but I'm not knowledgeable enough to know if that's the case. I also see a couple Peace dollars and some smaller denomination silver.

That 1851 large cent? half cent? looks pretty nice! My brother has an 1849 Large cent that's in good shape. Lots of history there!
- Connor

benben

Post by benben »

The Meat man wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 12:50 pm
benben wrote:
Looks like you've got a number of Morgan silver dollars. They'd be worth anywhere from say $40 each on up depending on condition. If there are rare dates or mint marks they could be worth far more, but I'm not knowledgeable enough to know if that's the case. I also see a couple Peace dollars and some smaller denomination silver.

That 1851 large cent? half cent? looks pretty nice! My brother has an 1849 Large cent that's in good shape. Lots of history there!
I'll have to pull it back out and look, I can already tell you know way more than me about coins!