Prices going up: US G10 Spydies increasing more than other families

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
KnifusMaximus

Re: Prices going up: US G10 Spydies increasing more than other families

Post by KnifusMaximus »

ABX2011 wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:43 am
vivi wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:40 pm
I don't like the higher prices more than anyone else, but for perspective:

house brand 1lb ground pork rolls were $1.50 on sale, $2.00 on a day to day basis at my locally owned grocer a year ago. yesterday they were $6.00 for the same product.

As someone that's tried to maintain a $200 limit on knife purchases, seeing a basic S30V Military break that limit is sad to see. But imagine a 3x increase in price like some grocery items have seen.

Latex gloves, chicken wings, gas.....lots of things have doubled in price in the last year to two years.
While knife purchases are discretionary and by no means essential, another key difference with the items you mentioned are that price increases actually have the possibility of being transitory. Food, gas, other commodities can come back down in price as supply/logistics improve.

There is a zero percent chance you will see the price of a Spyderco come down.
*EDITED - Inappropriate - TazKristi*
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

The problem with Spyderco street prices are manifold. There was the usual 2%-3% annual increase in MSRP to some models but since 2016 consumers have had to contend with more street price increases. Starting in January 2016 Spyderco instituted a MAP (street price) of 40% off MSRP to help dealers but effectively raised the street price for consumers. Before that you could get Spyderco knives at 45%-50% off MSRP which was nice. Additionally, back then, knife dealers were not charging sales tax. Then, in January 2018 MAP was changed to 35% off MSRP and in January 2020 to the current 30% off MSRP. Again, these effectively raised the street price for the consumer in addition to increases in MSRP and more knife dealers charging sales tax. Now, starting in 2022, a big jump of 5%-15% in MAP prices across the board.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

The Consumer Price Index (CPI) “rose 6.8 percent for the 12 months ending November, the largest 12-month increase since the period ending June 1982. The index for all items less food and energy rose 4.9 percent over the last 12 months, while the energy index rose 33.3 percent over the last year, and the food index increased 6.1 percent.”

https://www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/cpi.pdf
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
archangel

Post by archangel »

It's been at 5.2% in Germany in November. Gonna be a bit higher this month I'm sure.

6.8 is very very bad...
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
standy99

Post by standy99 »

I buy more knife making things than I need and have done for the last 12 months. The amount of price rises in all bits and bobs in most vendors in Australia is just crazy. Been happening for nearly 2 years now.

G10 is hit and miss with colours in stock at the moment and just stock itself is annoying. Had to buy a 20 piece mixed bundle to get one green G10 pin as Green G10 pins have been out of stock for a while.
Micarta is just as hard to get. Everyone is just buying what they can get at the moment. So what you are buying isn’t from the same supplier that the place bought the last lot from.

Some of the specials are just weird stuff you hardly buy only because that’s what they have in stock.

I used to buy of one company, now I have about four companies I have to order from to get everything I want.

Shipping from the US is crazy expensive. Spyderco has even stopped selling to Australia and NZ

I’m a small fry compared to a full time maker so I can see a company would have just the same issues 10 fold.

Crazy times we are in……..
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

standy99 wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 2:44 am
I buy more knife making things than I need and have done for the last 12 months. The amount of price rises in all bits and bobs in most vendors in Australia is just crazy. Been happening for nearly 2 years now.

G10 is hit and miss with colours in stock at the moment and just stock itself is annoying. Had to buy a 20 piece mixed bundle to get one green G10 pin as Green G10 pins have been out of stock for a while.
Micarta is just as hard to get. Everyone is just buying what they can get at the moment. So what you are buying isn’t from the same supplier that the place bought the last lot from.

Some of the specials are just weird stuff you hardly buy only because that’s what they have in stock.

I used to buy of one company, now I have about four companies I have to order from to get everything I want.

Shipping from the US is crazy expensive. Spyderco has even stopped selling to Australia and NZ

I’m a small fry compared to a full time maker so I can see a company would have just the same issues 10 fold.

Crazy times we are in……..
This is terrifying to read for someone who’s just dabbling with the idea of getting in to leather work and knife making/assembly.

At least I’m taking some of that time and resource from my gun range schedule/budget, which might arguably be even more expensive these days, so who knows.. maybe I’m actually saving money on this endeavor?