Bugout pack suggestions

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Cowboyfromhell

Re: Bugout pack suggestions

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

In my bag I have 2 fixed blades....Esee6, izula. Folders -- I have a dragon fly salt serrated-stashed in my first aid kit. I have an orange delica I threw in the bag as well. Oh and a lady bug salt serrated hawk bill. I might even bring along one of my over built tuff as nails Hinderers(in case I need to pry **** open). And my large inkosi....so I have everything to cover all my needs and if I lose one or two along the way I have backups. Plus I might use one to barter with if need be....
Cowboyfromhell

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

Shorter answer: couple fixed blades, couple folders. Salt serrated and easily sharpened steel in plain edge like 1095....your gonna have a **** of a time sharpening super steels like s90v in the field....
Cowboyfromhell

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

Oh I forgot I also have a sak tinker and a leatherman surge with bit kit and extra utility blades
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

aicolainen wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:33 am
Not being subject to a specific threat, it’s hard to make a retreat plan...

A hard lesson for me with COVID. I wasn't focused on a pandemic. I was thinking earthquake or social unrest or nuclear. I had plenty of water and power sources...but needed toilet paper, N95s and eggs! Knife of no more than ordinary value during COVID...wished I'd had chickens instead.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Bolster wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:41 am
aicolainen wrote:

A hard lesson for me with COVID. I wasn't focused on a pandemic. I was thinking earthquake or social unrest or nuclear. I had plenty of water and power sources...but needed toilet paper, N95s and eggs! Knife of no more than ordinary value during COVID...wished I'd had chickens instead.

Everyone puts their resources together as if they'll be stuck in the wilderness when the reality is an urban apocalypse is far more likely and you won't need to build a shelter, you'll need to wipe and disinfect wounds.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
AlexRus

Post by AlexRus »

A small hatchet would be useful too :)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

VooDooChild wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:50 am
Some serrated salt and whatever fixed blade you want.
I'll go one just a bit further>> I would recommend about anything out of the SALT SERIES. OR any of Spyderco's blades with H-1 ( particularly in SE) and/or LC200N blade steel.

There are so many blades in Spyderco's overall line up including many of the past models as well. Ultimately it would be whichever blade that you would be the most comfortable with.

There is so much sensationalism and media fanfare involving the subject of "Bugging Out" or just outright Survival that it's sometimes hard to distinguish between the practical and the hype. Again it's just whatever you're most comfortable with and whatever you find easiest to use.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Ahhhh... the subject took a serious turn. Perhaps I was a bit flippant with my response, after all, this is a knife forum not SurvivalistBoards.

OK, well, nobody asked but we are not bugging out. We are bugging in, we are staying put. We do not have a serious 4-wheel drive vehicle, an "INCH-bag" (INCH = I'm not coming home rig), or a second home in the mountains.

What we do have is approximately 2+ months worth of food for 2 people at the current location, all of the knives(90), all of the firearms, all of the prepper and survivalist books in my library, all of the firearms and ammo, ... plus my brother is meeting up here with us. He has several AR-15s and Binelli M4s and tons of ammo.

What we need is water and a way to purify it, probably 10 - 55 gallon drums of filtered water, 4 more months of food for 4 people, space blankets, and a couple of cords of wood.

Id set up a MAG (mutual assistance group) here in the subdivision within a day or two and block off the 5+ incoming streets. If you want in, you have to show an ID with an address on it. I need to buy 10 - GMRS radios for the troopers at the front lines of the subdivision so that we can coordinate responses to intruders.

If it all goes south, we plan on protecting our main property and the lives of loved ones as best we can.

EDITED!
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:02 pm
Everyone puts their resources together as if they'll be stuck in the wilderness when the reality is an urban apocalypse is far more likely and you won't need to build a shelter, you'll need to wipe and disinfect wounds.

So true, Evil. You might have sent me a PM *before* the pandemic to tell me to buy more chickens and fewer knives...
Naperville wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:42 pm
If it all goes south, we plan on protecting our main property and the lives of loved ones as best we can.

Good on you, Naper. Just be prepared for the media to hang you out to dry, if you do...
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Bolster wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:53 pm
Evil D wrote:
So true, Evil. You might have sent me a PM *before* the pandemic to tell me to buy more chickens and fewer knives...
Naperville wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:42 pm
Good on you, Naper. Just be prepared for the media to hang you out to dry, if you do...
True!
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
eRoc

Post by eRoc »

Evil D wrote:
This. No one bugged out to the wilderness during the Texas ice storms. None of my Spydercos provided warmth no matter how much I hugged them. My alcohol and isobutane stove were infinitely more valuable than lc200n or maxamet.

My wife when presented with the question this morning told me if I can't survive with a ladybug I'm probably not going to make it anyway. I thought my nephew was brutal...

If I'm not going to make it might as well enjoy the time I have. Blue Slysz Bowie it is.
SpyderGrill

Post by SpyderGrill »

Theres a lot of knife afis here that couldnt do **** in an emergency. They have no idea how to build a fire. Kill an animal to eat, What plants to eat.
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

I'm sure they can start a fire with all that cut up cardboard kindling. ;) :D
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Maybe everyone is using a different definition of bug out bag. For many it just means a ready bag with stuff to get you thru a few days during an emergency. I’m not sure how long term survival in the wilderness ever got in to the mix.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I believe in GHB, the get home bag. You pack it once and stick it in the trunk of the car. Put everything in there to make it home from 25 to 35 miles from home, outfit with whatever you need for your area, terrain and weather. That is where I would put a knife like the Spyderco Province. I always have a folder on me for small tasks, right now that is the Spyderco Native Chief.

I do not believe in a BOB because we are not bugging out with 3,000lbs of goods, in a car fit only for the road.

As far as starting a fire or killing goes("squirrels, rabbits, deer"), I can and have done both. I have books on what plants to eat, but I plan on taking a couple botany courses here at the Jr College near my home to help me identify them. But if you need all of that knowledge you are going to need far more than a BOB. You are going to need a 4X4 and a trailer, your INCH Trailer.

For those serious about prepping or survivalism I suggest reading SurvivalistBoards.com. It is a decent website and once in a while some real nuggets of information become available. I've been studying and collecting information on the subjects since 2014 and have been writing my own notes. I have at least 50 DVDs on martial arts involving escrima and arnis, and have thousands of YouTube videos that I have download on martial arts, reloading, prepping, and survivalism, as well as thousands of documents on how to build a home that will survive most hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes....most are from FEMA.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

I may be off base, but I'm guessing the primary use of a collector's knives during a serious event, might be for bartering for what you actually need. A knife could be worth far more than paper money.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

SpyderGrill wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:48 pm
Theres a lot of knife afis here that couldnt do **** in an emergency. They have no idea how to build a fire. Kill an animal to eat, What plants to eat.
That's a great point you make and very true unfortunately :( . With all the "Survival" type TV Shows that have appeared in the past 10 years especially have gotten a lot of people deceived into believing that because they've watched a couple of episodes of Man vs Wild or worse yet "Dual Survival" :rolleyes: They've gotten a false sense of security that they've gotten their degree in human survival :rolleyes: . I know I've spoke to a few of these "know it alls" at Gun Shows and other outdoor type events.

The sad reality is that most people have never ventured beyond "Motel 6" or at the very best possibly a state maintained campground ( with several creature comforts included :rolleyes: ). There are so many aspects of survival that it would take a serious student of the subject at least 10 to 15 years just to get the basics covered really well. Many people can't start a fire even with a Bic Lighter much less a primitive or alternative fire starting method. Most people have not a clue as to how to make water safe to drink if stranded in the wild. Knives are a very important tool for any bugout bag or survival kit>> but it's just a meager start at best.

When it comes to real "survival" most people know enough to be dangerous at best. How most people would deal with a venomous snakebite or bee, wasp or hornet swarm or GOD Forbid a predator encounter would be pathetic in most cases. Even people with a lot of experience have lost their lives or come up missing in survival situations. Survival is not a game or something fun to think about as many people are sadly deceived into believing :(
kobold

Post by kobold »

I think bugging out is really making yourself a refugee. Unless you have a fully stocked off-grid homestead, it seems like a losing strategy. It is better to bug in with your prepper supplies. The only meaningful bag is a get home bag IMHO.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
kobold

Post by kobold »

Bolster wrote:
aicolainen wrote:

Chickens are not bad, but a weasel can kill them all in a night. The only safe place for chickens is at the top of a tree.

I like ducks better, with a pond, they always have a place to escape to. Also the eggs are nicer.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

kobold wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:29 am
Bolster wrote:
aicolainen wrote:

Chickens are not bad, but a weasel can kill them all in a night. The only safe place for chickens is at the top of a tree.

I like ducks better, with a pond, they always have a place to escape to. Also the eggs are nicer.
AMEN!! Duck Eggs taste 3 times as good as even the best Chicken eggs do. The yolks in a duck egg are so rich it's beyond belief. If I ever get back to the country again I'll be getting some ducks and goats both. Goat's milk is highly addictive and much more nutritious than cow's milk>> not to mention goat yogurt and goat cheese :cool:

We don't have many weasels here in Missouri that I've ever seen but we do have a lot of red and gray foxes and they can clean out a chicken house in short order :eek: