Going against the grain

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Coffeetron

Re: Going against the grain

Post by Coffeetron »

prndltech wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:54 am
Coffeetron wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:34 am
Against the grain:

I remove pocket clips on all folders, they feel unnatural when using the knife
I prefer heavier knives and screw construction handles
I dislike the choil heavy designs
I am not a fan of microscopic sized knives that many seem to enjoy
I prefer liners or titanium scales
Where do you put them, just loose in the pocket?
usually in the right front pocket next to keys that are in those "key cages" in the "tip up" position.

I never lost a knife and its been a few years since I regularly carry one, even the big pac salt.

During winter and when I am outside in my right jacket pocket that is plenty big to fit my hand and a knife and can be zipped.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Chumango wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:05 pm
Ankerson wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:11 pm

That's why I added "depends on the work environment".

I also live in the South, but believe me not all areas are the same. ;)
Yeah, I visit NC from time to time, and the vibe I get is that the research triangle and some areas around Charlotte are not as gun friendly as other parts of the state, and less so than most of TN (though Memphis and Chattanooga are not particularly friendly either.)

Nope, not at all friendly… All the Northerners etc moving in over the past 20+ years has really hurt the areas. :rolleyes:

Getting worse all the time too.... :mad:

And crime is also getting worse too. :mad:
jdw

Post by jdw »

Ankerson wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:10 pm
Chumango wrote:
Ankerson wrote:

Yeah, I visit NC from time to time, and the vibe I get is that the research triangle and some areas around Charlotte are not as gun friendly as other parts of the state, and less so than most of TN (though Memphis and Chattanooga are not particularly friendly either.)

Nope, not at all friendly… All the Northerners etc moving in over the past 20+ years has really hurt the areas. :rolleyes:

I lived in Hermitage a couple of lifetimes ago. It was bad in the '80's. Please don't over glamorize gentrification.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

I don't care about titanium framelocks, flippers, linerlocks, and even comp lock.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

jdw wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:28 pm
Ankerson wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:10 pm
Chumango wrote:
Ankerson wrote:

I lived in Hermitage a couple of lifetimes ago. It was bad in the '80's. Please don't over glamorize gentrification.

That's down near Fayettenam... Not surprising…. Things are always bad around Military Bases.... Jacksonville, NC has always been bad too.

The Raleigh area was VERY nice back then and all the way to around the year 2000.... It's been getting progressively worse since then.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Against the grain? Alrighty then.

1. Framelocks. Would it kill you to cover the moving parts? I feel like the knife is only half finished.

2. Titanium. Aren't these things expensive enough already?

3. Ball bearing pivots. Seriously? Why? From what I can see they cause way more problems than they solve.

4. Flippers. I'm looking for a cutting tool not a fidget toy.

5. Compression locks. I've been pinched and stung way too many times. Are you all masochists?

6. Rust proof construction on everything. Learn to take care of your tools for cryin' out loud.

7. Screw construction. I've had screws fall out, but never a pin.

I could go on, but you get the point.
jdw

Post by jdw »

nm
Last edited by jdw on Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Let's see.. First of all, if i live to be 200 years old i will never understand the mad hype of the Para***
I don't like the CBBL, to me it feels like a gritty first gen. Glock 17 trigger
i can't see the point of disassembling knives "for maintenance"
I can't see the point of deep carry clips
I dislike dehydrated snot scales
I wouldn't buy a knife with DLC blade / red scales for monopoly money
Ditto GITD. I grew out of GITD at around 11 y.o. :)
I collect knives primarily, get over it! I don't really care if you use your knife to dig in the garden or open manhole covers with it and don't feel the need to post "Don't use your s*it" on a daily basis :P
Other than that i enjoy participating in the forum and various FB groups among (basically) like minded.
Peace out!
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

This pic is just for Larry...so many things he loves, all in one!! :p

Resized_20190925_172931.jpeg
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:02 pm
This pic is just for Larry...so many things he loves, all in one!! :p

Resized_20190925_172931.jpeg
I was actually half expecting a post like this :)
I am overwhelmed! And all in just one pic!! LOL
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Haunted House

Post by Haunted House »

My unpopular opinion would probably be...

-I prefer straight edge blades over curved blades. Wharncliffe, Tanto, etc.

-I’m also not really a fan of stainless steel blades.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Man there is alot to comment on in here.
I do understand alot of what the first post was hinting at. Lets be honest, many quick cuts could be done with a razor blade. I get the whole, its weird that people would talk about knives this much, and care about materials this much, etc. For me part of the fun is that after the stick, and the rock, it is the worlds oldest tool. So to see that taken to a modern and refined level, using space age materials, and metallurgy processes that people couldnt have even dreamed of... I think its pretty cool. You are almost seeing the history of modern man represented through one tool, whose designs and materials have completely changed, but whose function and purpose hasnt. That is at its core the part that I find truly interesting, although it is often hard to describe why.

Lets not let the weirdness stigma get to us. Nobody bats an eyelash if someone has thousands of dollars in watches, or shoes, or jewelry. But as soon as its knives its weird. Well screw those people. They are the same ones who will always have to borrow a knife from us weirdos.

As far as the work thing goes, yeah it definitely depends on where you work, what you do, and who you work with. I work with abunch of old rednecks. Many of whom have made thier own knives over the years, and are usually carrying much more than a blade. One coworker just gave me part of a sawblade so that I can make a fixed blade out of it. I also used to order spydercos from my former boss because he got a discount. I guess I work in the twilight zone.

Against the grain
1. Autos and flippers arent great.
2. Titanium and m390 is boring, why is the entire industry all making the same knife.
3. We do not need to salt/lc200n everything. Salt designs should be purpose built and many spydies would not make a good salt with just a steel swap.
4. Less choils. Small knives need them, but sometimes I feel like spyderco goes out of thier way to put a choil on a knife.
5. Mbc and fighting knives dont make a big difference. There are definitely some knives that will work better than others in these scenarios. But if this 3 inches of locking steel vs that 3 inches of locking steel is the difference between life and death you are already screwed.
6. Blade deployment and flickability are the worst aspects of a knife. I care alot more about a knife staying closed in my pocket then how it flicks open in my hand.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:27 pm
Let's see.. First of all, if i live to be 200 years old i will never understand the mad hype of the Para***
I don't like the CBBL, to me it feels like a gritty first gen. Glock 17 trigger
i can't see the point of disassembling knives "for maintenance"
I can't see the point of deep carry clips
I dislike dehydrated snot scales
I wouldn't buy a knife with DLC blade / red scales for monopoly money
Ditto GITD. I grew out of GITD at around 11 y.o. :)
I collect knives primarily, get over it! I don't really care if you use your knife to dig in the garden or open manhole covers with it and don't feel the need to post "Don't use your s*it" on a daily basis :P
Other than that i enjoy participating in the forum and various FB groups among (basically) like minded.
Peace out!
I enjoyed this. Thank you :cool:
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

unpopular opinion... Using a knife to pry can still be considered using the right tool for the job. After all, what is a pry bar except for just another bar of metal without an edge.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I dislike leaf shaped blade immensely. I don’t like back locks very much. I don’t like carbon fibre or black scales though I’ll cop them if I really like the knife. I don’t like blade coatings. I detest short thick door stop blades and “beefy” tips.

I think hard use and folding knife, likely shouldn’t be used in the same sentence. :)

And, I reckon life’s too short to get around carrying knives made in China. :eek:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I agree with the OP on the Para 3. I bought one to check out and immediately disliked it. Way too blade heavy and plasticy feeling scales. For reference, I like the feel of the scales on the Delica, Endura, etc.
Also I'm not a big fan of the comp lock or the CBBL. Back lock is still a favorite as is a well excuted liner lock.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

YOU MIGHT BE INSANE IF YOU LIKE...
- All of these leaf blades. Ughhhh... I have 3, might buy 3 more and then I think that's close to my limit. Spyderco should seriously look at the Chris Reeve Green Beret or the Ka-Bar and knock one out in 4V.
- Sheepfoot
- Poor choices for blade materials: 420hc, 8cr13mov, 420 J2, 440A, 5cr15mov, Victorinox steel, 7cr13Mov, Cast Iron, 300 Stainless, Carbon Fiber, G10, ...

BARELY PASSABLE...
- Liner locks. I have a few but don't want any more.
- Only a leather sheath option

FINE TO HAVE...
- Any blade grind except for combination edge
- Carbon fibre, FRN, aluminum, micarta, titanium, g-10, glass filled nylon or other handle material can be fine depending on the planned use
- Straight edge, serrated edge,
- Double edged, spear point, fatty harpoon tanto, wharnclife, tanto, are all good
- DLC, satin, stonewashed, polished, bead blasted, black caswell or other type of blade finish
- Ball bearing or other pivots
- Finger choil
- Stainless or non stainless steel blade
- Deep carry pocket clip
- Edged weapons can be small, or they can be swords. I like both. Knives with blades up to 10 inches long, and edged weapons with blades up to 24 inches long, it's all good!
- Kydex sheath

AWESOME SAUCE...
- If it's not Kydex, then an RMJ or Winkler leather, lined with Kydex sheath.
- Weight of knife can be heavy, medium or light
- Fully lined knife
- Back lock, compression lock, frame lock
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Bloke wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:57 pm
And, I reckon life’s too short to get around carrying knives made in China. :eek:
Correct. I’d rock Japan or Taiwan any day of the week though. Oh wait... the only knives I’ve been carrying have been H1, SE, backlock hawkbills made in Japan
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Against the grain:

- I've realised over time I don't really enjoy high carbide (say >4% V), super high wear resistance steels as much as the lower carbide volume steels. I like thin, stable, fine edges and prefer rolling over chipping behaviour. I enjoy doing a bit of touch up sharpening every day or two, so it's not a chore I wish to avoid or delay having to address. Regarding steels which have been new to my Spyderco collection over the last year or two, I've had much more pleasure out of using and sharpening AEB-L and LC200N than Maxamet and S110V.

K390 is a notable exception.

- I don't really dig the thick blades with drastic distal taper on the Millie family anywhere near as much as I like the thickness of the blades in the Seki Endura family. To me the Endura family are about as thick a blade as I need in a pocket knife. I quite like the compression lock, but that thick blade which allows the lateral locking action is a high price to pay imho. The length of the Millie allows a reasonable area of thinner blade out towards the tip, but I feel the PM2 and Para 3 aren't as good fine slicers for my purposes.

- I like contoured edges and sides on my handles, as opposed to right angled slab sides, and often fit custom scales or sand down the edges on my CF handles. It's good to see some models coming out which reflect these features like the Shaman (contoured micarta edges) and the Kapara (curved side profile, rather than slab sides).
James Y

Post by James Y »

I don’t care about my knives being “fall-shutty”. I don’t need to close my knives at high-speed. Nor do I care about “flickability”. As long as the action is smooth enough, I’m happy.

Jim