Mini Grip Comparison

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Evil D wrote:The only thing the Mini Grip has going for it is a nice lock design. The rest of those knives just aren't for me. They felt like plastic toys, even more plasticy than FRN feels. There probably isn't a knife in the Spyderco lineup I wouldn't rather have than almost any BM knife. I don't say that as an insult to BM, they just make knives in a very different style, and that style is not at all for me.
+1 on this! ^. Could not have stated my thoughts any better than u just stated them for me. :) . My father gave me a mini grip and a friend gave me a 940 in the last year. They both are well made knives and have sentimental value, but they live their lives in the back of a drawer. Like david said, I can't really think of any spyderco that I wouldn't carry over both of them. My dad, on the other hand, loves his benchmades. To each his own I guess. :)

P.s. To the op: you realize you will have to buy a pm2 at some point don't you? I resisted it as long as I could but eventually I broke down and got one. There's something special and very "spyderco" about the paramilitary IMO. You've got plenty of new toys for now though...enjoy!
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

I'm not a patent lawyer, but if I were, I think I'd have a long discussion with the design and production engineers when they brought a new patent proposal to me, and try to identify how much of the invention needed to be patented at the beginning and which elements (if any) could be held for the future in order to extend the patent for the longest possible period of time. The patent system is a game of sorts (and has been for hundreds of years). You wouldn't sit down at the poker table and play with your cards face up. :)

The thing that is Spyderco's greatest strength is the constant stream of innovation. Some companies try to have just a few good ideas that they think are sure bets. Spyderco innovates like a bunch of profligates - they scatter a large number of seeds and watch to see which grow and which wither.
sal wrote:Benchmade has patents that go for some time. They have an exceptional patent attorney and he keeps coming up with ways to get more patents on the same lock. As Blerv said, Benchmade has invested a great deal in their lock in the development and promotion. They should get to keep their lock.

On our end;

1. We have refined the lock-back on our new Natives to a degree we'd hoped to achieve, solid, reliable, strong people friendly. The new light weight version will have the same lock as will other lock-backs made in Golden.

2. We are still tweaking the Walker Linerlock to always greater reliability

3. We are also working with and refining the RIL (Reeve Integral Lock) in tghe interface, form and cut-out spring section (Like the Foundry).

4. We continue to refine our Compression lock and it too gets better and better. We working on new ways to frame the lock.

5. Our Ball lock used on the D'Allara will be used on a refined D'Allara for the future. It is the most resistant to accidental unlocking and handles debris well.

6. Our Caged-Ball is still being refined and is serving a number of models very well.

7. The new Stop-lock is finally getting to a design and production slot.

8. The new Power-lock is being introduced in the Tatanka and will no doubt find othber designs.

9. The Roto Will also be find it's way into a design in the next year or two.

The Mini Grip is a good knife, as is the Axis lock, but we feel the variety of locking methods we offer provides choices and we also came up with a few new designs to offer as competition.

sal
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

Thanks for sharing Sal. That's a ton of info I just learned.

I was simply wondering because the Axis would just be another hat (lock) for Spyderco to wear when the(Strictly my opinion :) Axis, is BM's #1 feature and that is mostly all they are banking on, not much innovation or a push for new products.

I love the refined back-lock of the N5. Eagerly awaiting the CF/S110v and the LWT versions. Looking forward to plenty of those you discussed.
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

Well said JNewell.
sal

Post by sal »

FCM415 wrote: I love the refined back-lock of the N5. Eagerly awaiting the CF/S110v and the LWT versions.
I've been alternating EDC for the past week between the CF/110V N5 and the new light weight. I must say that I am very proud of our staff. Special kudos to Eric, Tom (factory manager) and Doug (engineer) for crafting what I believe is the best lock-back on the market. Kudos also to the Golden knifemakers to getting them to the marketplace.

sal
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Sal, this may sound like a dumb question since you own the company, but I'm curious...how many spydies do you have? :D You ever get confused in the morning trying to figure out which one to carry?
eric m.

Post by eric m. »

A-Ro wrote:With the ante up, get the Sage 2 Titanium...awesome EDC that's perfect in it's simplicity, and it's a very durable!
For under $200 you should look at the Chaparral2, the Sage2, and the Domino on the higher end! :)
sal

Post by sal »

Surfingringo wrote:Sal, this may sound like a dumb question since you own the company, but I'm curious...how many spydies do you have? :D You ever get confused in the morning trying to figure out which one to carry?
I have quite a few. Mostly I carry prototypes for testing or new models to make sure they're right.

sal
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

sal wrote:I have quite a few. Mostly I carry prototypes for testing or new models to make sure they're right.

sal

I would have to have EVERY one and wear suspenders too!!!! John
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

sal wrote:I've been alternating EDC for the past week between the CF/110V N5 and the new light weight. I must say that I am very proud of our staff. Special kudos to Eric, Tom (factory manager) and Doug (engineer) for crafting what I believe is the best lock-back on the market. Kudos also to the Golden knifemakers to getting them to the marketplace.

sal
I bought the Forum Native 5 partly for the sake of sentiment and partly for the sake of the steel, but I was so impressed that I found a regular S35VN/G10 version (which actually took a lot of work) and purchased that, too. The Native 5 is clearly something to feel very good about. A big thumbs-up to everyone on that one.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

FCM415 wrote:Well said JNewell.
Thanks...you know what I wonder, though - thinking of a mix of the Sage 3 and the Manix 2 - it wouldn't be too hard to modify the cage design to provide a little extra traction. It might also be possible - but only Sal and his crew could be sure - to reduce the spring tension a little to facilitate slightly easier opening, though I don't think that's essential. But a more prominent stud and/or less slippery material might make the CBBL easier to use with wet or cold hands or otherwise when the grip is a little less sure. You'd get 99% of what I think the benefits of the Axis lock are, and still retain the strengths of the CBBL. Just a thought...
eric m.

Post by eric m. »

jmh58 wrote:I would have to have EVERY one and wear suspenders too!!!! John
And a "fanny" pack! Lol! :D
gpo1956

Post by gpo1956 »

One more guys. I'm gonna order one more. I 'm in position now to have a larger more heavy use knife. Para 2 or ZT 0566? This is really a tough one. Or, any other suggestions? Its got to be in the $150 +- range.
pc87

Post by pc87 »

I have both PM2 and 566, I carry the 566 more due to it is a little smaller and carries well, however the pm2 does get pocket time.
baldanthony

Post by baldanthony »

Gpo1956, welcome! Your purchases speak toward your preferences. With two Delicas and a Sage, either a Caly 3/3.5 or Endura would be a great addition for larger heavy-duty knives!
Honestly though, I would consider a little big knife at this point to compliment your others (perfect for a watch-pocket.) I would suggest a Lava, Manbug or Dragonfly, personally.
Good luck, and have fun!
gpo1956

Post by gpo1956 »

Well, I just ordered a black Para 2. This better do me for a while!
UpDok

Post by UpDok »

gpo1956 wrote:Well, I just ordered a black Para 2. This better do me for a while!
Good choice! The Para 2 is my favorite folder.
[LEFT]“Look unto me, and be ye saved, all the ends of the earth: for I am God, and there is none else.” Isaiah 45:22 KJV [/LEFT]
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

gpo1956 wrote:Well, I just ordered a black Para 2. This better do me for a while!
The paramilitary 2 is a spectacular knife! Seriously, this knife epitomizes so much of what is great about spyderco. Awesome awesome knife! I just never carry mine anymore since I got a military. Oops, did we forget to mention that you absolutely NEED a military?? Hahahaha...you really do, but take a breath and enjoy what you've got first!
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

One thing I like about the Griptilian line is the variety of blade options available. It's like if Spyderco offered the Manix 2 with every combination of HG, FFG, PE/SE/CE, drop point, sheeps foot, wharncliffe, and on and on. Well ok, it's not quite that much variety but when you're picking out a Griptilian it sure seems that way. I would love to see a couple other blade shapes on the Manix 2 (sheeps foot would be awesome!).

Of course you need a lot of volume to justify that kind of options -- nothing in life is free.
All God's critters have knives.
Donut

Post by Donut »

sal wrote: 7. The new Stop-lock is finally getting to a design and production slot.
Awesome, I've really been wanting to see that one.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!