LeafJumper

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Re: LeafJumper

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

SchoonerBum wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2023 5:47 pm
Salt Jumper + FRN Backlock Caribbean = 90% of my folding knife usage. The handle-forward designs are really good!
Salt Jumper 👏…FRN BL Caribbean 👏 👊
NCC-2893

Post by NCC-2893 »

olywa wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2023 6:39 pm
My arc follows yours pretty closely NCC, but I haven't yet sprung for it in K390. I feel like I've got enough K390 for now, but I love the Jumper platform and hope we see a Salt or a Cru-wear sprint soon.
Leaf Jumper Salt in Magnacut would pretty much do me in. I'd have seen it all.
“I get on my bike and I ride off…on the grass.”
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

I will get one the K390 Leafjumpers before the year is out.
The only other performance driven versions I want of the Rockjumper and Leafjumper are Salts. Especially serrated MagnaCut, but including H1/H2, and LC200N if possible!

The K390 is very interesting and I will get one to finally try the steel, try the Leafjumper (I have a serrated Rockjumper), and because I like the color.
The Leafjumper is more for “EDC” to me, so I think K390 makes a ton of sense.

With what I use my Rockjumper for, the corrosion resistance of a Salt is more practical than VG10 or K390. I think Magnacut’s apparently good edge stability, resulting from several factors like hardness, toughness, fine microstructure, etc. will be advantageous for edge “life” with the chisel grind of serrations compared to H1 and LC200N (both of those are good, but I want to try MagnaCut to see if it works better for me in the way I think it could).

I’m also still sticking to my suggestion for MagnaCut’s Salt color in Seki to be a red-orange similar to “International Orange”, “Coast Gaurd Orange/Red”, “Vermillion”, “Scarlet”, or “Coral”.

I think there a lot of good reasons to do this, but I will further elaborate on that after the K390 stuff has more time to shine and hopefully boost interest in the design itself.

I seriously can’t recommend these knives enough.

One thing I want to try eventually is making my own scales and other slight modifications.
I think I have some pretty cool ideas, but I’ll save that for another time as well.

Lots of wishful thinking, of course!
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Cl1ff wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 1:44 am
The only other performance driven versions I want of the Rockjumper and Leafjumper are Salts. Especially serrated MagnaCut, but including H1/H2, and LC200N if possible!

The K390 is very interesting and I will get one to finally try the steel, try the Leafjumper (I have a serrated Rockjumper), and because I like the color.

With what I use my Rockjumper for, the corrosion resistance of a Salt is more practical than VG10 or K390. I think Magnacut’s apparently good edge stability, resulting from several factors like hardness, toughness, fine microstructure, etc. will be advantageous for edge “life” with the chisel grind of serrations compared to H1 and LC200N (both of those are good, but I want to try MagnaCut to see if it works better for me in the way I think it could).

I’m also still sticking to my suggestion for MagnaCut’s Salt color in Seki to be a red-orange similar to “International Orange”, “Coast Gaurd Orange/Red”, “Vermillion”, “Scarlet”, or “Coral”.

I think there a lot of good reasons to do this, but I will further elaborate on that after the K390 stuff has more time to shine and hopefully boost interest in the design itself.

One thing I want to try eventually is making my own scales and other slight modifications.
I think I have some pretty cool ideas, but I’ll save that for another time as well.

Hey-nothing wrong with wishing, we’re all guilty of it…I’m definitely on board with orange and idc which salt steel Sal decides to use…I’d love a Rockjumper SE and a Leafjumper PE Salt…a Rockjumper SE k390 would be sweet as well…it really is the perfect EDC…keep us updated on your mods 👊
Sliced up a couple pork tenderloins, an apple, and a rotisserie chicken each time letting it sit for about 10/15 minutes…BAM!!! Petina and k390 are awesome…cut up some cardboard with it along with a couple others (Chaparral•Pacific)…the Leaf is in the lead after Round one and we don’t even want to talk about ergos cuz that wouldn’t be fair🤣
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

Can anyone confirm if the K390 is ground thinner BTE, than the VG-10?
Make Knife Grinds Thin Again.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

SaltyCaribbeanDfly wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:57 am
Cl1ff wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 1:44 am

Hey-nothing wrong with wishing, we’re all guilty of it…I’m definitely on board with orange and idc which salt steel Sal decides to use…I’d love a Rockjumper SE and a Leafjumper PE Salt…a Rockjumper SE k390 would be sweet as well…it really is the perfect EDC…keep us updated on your mods 👊
Sliced up a couple pork tenderloins, an apple, and a rotisserie chicken each time letting it sit for about 10/15 minutes…BAM!!! Petina and k390 are awesome…cut up some cardboard with it along with a couple others (Chaparral•Pacific)…the Leaf is in the lead after Round one and we don’t even want to talk about ergos cuz that wouldn’t be fair🤣
Very nice.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Thanks 👊
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Good to see you embracing a tool steel Salty! :winking-tongue
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

kennethsime wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 12:38 pm
Good to see you embracing a tool steel Salty! :winking-tongue
IKR…the stuff is AWESOME!!!
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

Smaller Caribbean in different steel.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

HolySteel wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2023 12:18 pm
Clarify?

kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

HolySteel wrote:
Isn’t it about half an inch smaller, too?

On the face of it, they are largely similar, I hear you.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

HolySteel wrote:
kennethsime wrote:
HolySteel wrote:
Isn’t it about half an inch smaller, too?

On the face of it, they are largely similar, I hear you.
"On the face of it" perhaps, yes.

Just to me not so much when looking more closely in my humble opinion

- Ergonomically speaking:

The much flatter thumb ramp of the Caribbean (as opposed to the very pronounced one of the Leaf Jumper) could make a real difference for some
As well as the generally - and especially where the index finger sits wider handle of the Caribbean (I personally get more and more into liking when the index finger sits "higher", so not in a too recessed area of the handle (or not in a too deep choil for that matter)
One thing that I´d prefer on the Leaf Jumper ergonomics though in harder, prolongued use: Closed back and no comp.lock cutout

- And while the Caribbean offers a very good edge to handle ratio (3.67" (93mm) of edge in a closed length of just 4.84" (123mm)), the Leaf Jumper is not so good in that regard (just 2.87" (73mm) of edge in a closed length of 4.43" (113mm))

Personally I´d prefer thumb ramp and edge to handle ratio of the Caribbean, but overall still a Leafjumper-ish platform due to its backlock (in ergos, usability and safety), FRN and weight.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2023 9:36 pm
The much flatter thumb ramp of the Caribbean (as opposed to the very pronounced one of the Leaf Jumper) could make a real difference for some
As well as the generally - and especially where the index finger sits wider handle of the Caribbean (I personally get more and more into liking when the index finger sits "higher", so not in a too recessed area of the handle (or not in a too deep choil for that matter)
These are things I look forward to checking out.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

My Leaf Jumper arrived almost flawless. Its super-sharpness rested on a wire.

Fortunately, a burr on K390 is not as reluctant to disappear as on 52100 or even Cruwear in my experience.

Sharp24/7

Post by Sharp24/7 »

Got an LJ SE in VG10 yesterday. It just felt right from the moment I picked it up. I’m getting one in K390, no question. Just have to decide SE or PE.
Matus

Post by Matus »

I am definitely getting one on k390 and SE sounds so cool, but I am really concerned about sharpening as it is so much slower and doing any change to original grind (= angle of the serrations) is going to take ages (because it already takes ages on less abration resistent steels). k390 PE on a diamond stones is like VG10 on common sharpening stones.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Sharp24/7

Post by Sharp24/7 »

Matus wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2023 11:53 am
I am definitely getting one on k390 and SE sounds so cool, but I am really concerned about sharpening as it is so much slower and doing any change to original grind (= angle of the serrations) is going to take ages (because it already takes ages on less abration resistent steels). k390 PE on a diamond stones is like VG10 on common sharpening stones.
I had the same concern about K390 SE, so I went with VG10 for the SE.
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

Got my Leafjumper K390 SE, thanks to the Summer Sale. First Seki lockback I've received in 20 years of buying them where the lockbar doesn't stand proud when the knife is locked open. :grin-big eyes
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

elena86 wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2023 12:00 am
Evil D wrote:
Mon Dec 26, 2022 9:02 pm
Cl1ff wrote:
Mon Dec 26, 2022 5:53 pm
Cl1ff wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 4:15 pm

Actually, I was just about to ask this thread if anyone had a Serrated LeafJumper yet?
The leafjumper appears to be ground a little differently than the RockJumper. It is most notable in the images of the serrated LeafJumper showing 8 large scallops rather than the 6 of my serrated Rockjumper.

It'll be my next purchase but probably not for another couple weeks. I'm a little concerned about the serration angle, I really hope it's not like the Police 4 and/or Ayoob, but it kinda looks like they are. I've gotten really spoiled by factory serrations coming in just below 15 degrees, it makes sharpening far more enjoyable and eliminates the need for heavy reprofiling.
Which one ? Ark aside …

My last 3 all came in lower than 15, which were an Autonomy 1 and Autonomy 2 and MagnaCut Native 5.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David