Spyderco Amsterdam Meet 2017 Report

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mr Blonde

Re: Spyderco Amsterdam Meet 2017 Report

Post by Mr Blonde »

Still more to go, but the end is in sight though...
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 5-30-2024 Instagram
krikun98

Post by krikun98 »

No pictures of the new Police, then?
vivi

Post by vivi »

Any photos of the Opus gripped behind the index choil?
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

ex-Sliver=all the wants.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Mr Blonde wrote:Still more to go, but the end is in sight though...
Wouter,
Thank you for great work. This is certainly the best thread of the year. You already sold me few knives. Sadly I didn't see Shaman or any of Lil Natives. Did you at least see them among prototypes?
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

bh49 wrote:
Wouter,
Thank you for great work. This is certainly the best thread of the year. You already sold me few knives. Sadly I didn't see Shaman or any of Lil Natives. Did you at least see them among prototypes?
They were there, however, not ready to photograph quite yet.
ejcr98

Post by ejcr98 »

Mr. Blonde, can you give us more details on the Lil' Native with a compression lock? If not, I understand.

Thank you.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Mr Blonde wrote:
bh49 wrote:
Wouter,
They were there, however, not ready to photograph quite yet.
Thank you Wouter. May be next year. I hope I will be able to afford, everything, what you "sold" me. :)
Roman
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

I thought Lil’ Nilakka White Polished G-10 Flash Batch (Taiwan) was supposed to have RWL-34 not CPM-S30V as in the pictures of this thread and Spyderco 2017 Catalog?
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
timlara

Post by timlara »

I sure hope "production sample" means what I think it means for the "Paul Alexander Design" -- i.e. I hope it means "almost ready to ship" -- because I have my PayPal account armed and ready for that one.

Great work Paul and thanks for the photos Wouter!
Tim
timlara

Post by timlara »

RamZar wrote:I thought Lil’ Nilakka White Polished G-10 Flash Batch (Taiwan) was supposed to have RWL-34 not CPM-S30V as in the pictures of this thread and Spyderco 2017 Catalog?
Same...

It seems like a lot of people thought S30v wasn't the best match for the thin grind on the original Nilakka, so I was curious whether RWL-34 would be a better fit.
Tim
brj

Post by brj »

Thanks Wouter for all the hard work & dedication.

Some random musings from my end, in no particular order:
Would have loved to see macro pics of the Carribean Salts & Police4 - I guess we still might see the Rhino in today's installment?
S30V would be a deal breaker for me on the Lil'Nilakka, was really hoping to try Spyderco's RWL-34.
Linerless tubeless back-lock Manix & the fish hunter are a must.
Wouter's pics kinda sold me on the 100 Pacer and the ex-Sliver, although these models didn't hold any particular appeal to me while checking the SHOT & IWA reports.
Patiently waiting for the Pacific Salt on the E4 chassis... :)
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

brj wrote:Thanks Wouter for all the hard work & dedication.

Some random musings from my end, in no particular order:
Would have loved to see macro pics of the Carribean Salts & Police4 - I guess we still might see the Rhino in today's installment?
S30V would be a deal breaker for me on the Lil'Nilakka, was really hoping to try Spyderco's RWL-34.
Linerless tubeless back-lock Manix & the fish hunter are a must.
Wouter's pics kinda sold me on the 100 Pacer and the ex-Sliver, although these models didn't hold any particular appeal to me while checking the SHOT & IWA reports.
Patiently waiting for the Pacific Salt on the E4 chassis... :)
Thanks for the kind words, I'm afraid I missed the opportunity to shoot both the Carribeans and Police 4, I got two concept models in the pipeline though.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

timlara wrote:I sure hope "production sample" means what I think it means for the "Paul Alexander Design" -- i.e. I hope it means "almost ready to ship" -- because I have my PayPal account armed and ready for that one.

Great work Paul and thanks for the photos Wouter!

My understanding is it's a sample sent to Spyderco for evaluation before the production is set for GO. That means as long as there aren't any issues that need tweaked it should be in the home stretch. But, it's also coming from Taiwan so it could still be a while away just because of the logistics of shipping them over once they're made. I believe Eric said early summer late spring so we could still be a couple months off.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

A slight more pronounce choil would definitely improve the (already good) ego's on the Opus IMO. Whilst handling it, my finger placement was a bit awkward seeing how it didn't really fall into place like it does with other models.
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Mr blond, thanks for all the great photos.
Some have said that the ball not easy to access on the D'Allan's. Is it the same on the q ball?
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

The new 2017 online catalog gives the specs of the Q Ball (also Police 4, etc). I'm trying not to post actual links until I have a better understanding of the current statement of the forum rules, but here's how to get there ;) :

catalog.spyderco.com/productguide/ > search q ball > click on the small pic under the search window > click on the resulting big pic to make the print more legible
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Mr Blonde

Spyderco 2017 Production Sample – Salt 2 & Tasman Salt 2

Post by Mr Blonde »

It looks like the Salt line will be getting a makeover, with the presentation of the Salt 2. It seemed very familiar to the Delica 4. And like the Delica 4, the Salt 2 will be a bit thicker and stronger than the previous line of Salt folders. I liked the fact that the Salt 2 won’t use any liners, but rather use a specific mold design on the inside of the handle to achieve more rigidity and strength. I love my serrated Salt folder, for travel mostly. I’ll probably upgrade it with a Salt 2.

Specifications
Overall Length: 18,5 cm / 7.28 inches
Blade Length: 7,7 cm / 3.03 inches
Blade Thickness: 2,5 mm / 0.09 inches
Weight Salt 2: 61 grams / 2.15 ounces, Tasman Salt 2: 58 grams / 2.04 ounces
Mr Blonde

Spyderco 2017 Concept Model – Three Blade Rescue

Post by Mr Blonde »

I can round out my Amsterdam Meet (photo) Report with a concept model, as opposed to the production samples, the Three Blade Rescue! I’m usually not a fan of multi-bladed tools or knives, but this seemed to handle really well. I can’t recall any specific specifications though, and when the presentation part of the meet closed there wasn’t much time to record any measurements. Still, I liked being able to show off a concept model that is still in development. Since this is a concept model, it can take some time and changes, before the Three Blade Rescue comes to market.

Mr Blonde

Spyderco 2017 Concept Model – Three Blade Standard

Post by Mr Blonde »

The last photo post in my Amsterdam Meet Report 2017, is for the Three Blade Standard concept model. This is a variation of the Three Blade Rescue, with a plain edge and two tools more geared towards everyday carry for most people. Please note, this is a concept model, so it can take a while for the Three Blade Standard to become available and the design might be tweaked as well from these pictures. Thanks for watching!