Show your Vegetable Gardens and Harvests

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Re: Show your Vegetable Gardens and Harvests

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

Netherend wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2023 8:38 am
70983923678__4C1E5E8C-C464-4801-898D-92C4C329E14D-compressed.jpeg
IMG_6048-compressed.jpegIMG_7853-compressed.jpeg70983924505__D62B786B-F565-48F0-A31F-6E30163508DD-compressed.jpegIMG_7441-compressed.jpegIMG_6051-compressed.jpeg
It’s mostly berries and greens this season but it’s still a fun project to do with my kids.
Hey that’s awesome and making it a family affair is the best…choosing to plant raspberries was a great idea to get the kids involved and your yard looks so relaxing 👍
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

JD Spydo wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2023 8:48 am
Yeah I'm growing a few tomatoes, okra, squash and cucumbers along with an assortment of pepper plants this year myself. I've been a hobbyist at gardening for quite a few years my own self. I consider myself pretty good at tomato growing especially.

I do have a word of caution as far as using Spyderco blades to use on fresh fruit and vegetables. If you are cutting up veggies with a ZDP-189 blade ( or any supersteel blade for that matter) do wash it off immediately after using. I cut up a bunch of tomatoes a few years back with a ZDP-189 blade and forgot to wash it off>> the next morning the blade looked as though it had been soaked in industrial strength acids and/or caustic liquids. It was so bad I literally had to send the blade back to Spyderco's warranty & repair department. Don't learn any hard lessons like I did that one year. Do immediately wash your blades in fresh water to avoid a disaster.
Good advice and that’s why I use a Salt 2 wharnie SE or my Tasman …still wash em’ down tho…any chance of seeing those tomatoes?
Mrj

Post by Mrj »

SaltyCaribbeanDfly wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2023 12:45 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2023 8:48 am
Yeah I'm growing a few tomatoes, okra, squash and cucumbers along with an assortment of pepper plants this year myself. I've been a hobbyist at gardening for quite a few years my own self. I consider myself pretty good at tomato growing especially.

I do have a word of caution as far as using Spyderco blades to use on fresh fruit and vegetables. If you are cutting up veggies with a ZDP-189 blade ( or any supersteel blade for that matter) do wash it off immediately after using. I cut up a bunch of tomatoes a few years back with a ZDP-189 blade and forgot to wash it off>> the next morning the blade looked as though it had been soaked in industrial strength acids and/or caustic liquids. It was so bad I literally had to send the blade back to Spyderco's warranty & repair department. Don't learn any hard lessons like I did that one year. Do immediately wash your blades in fresh water to avoid a disaster.
Good advice and that’s why I use a Salt 2 wharnie SE or my Tasman …still wash em’ down tho…any chance of seeing those tomatoes?
I used magnacut salts. No wash. No corrosion so far. Kinda testing to see. Cut broccoli,cucumbers, and tomatoes.
MRj “Weak things break!”
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

Mrj wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2023 1:50 pm
I used magnacut salts. No wash. No corrosion so far. Kinda testing to see. Cut broccoli,cucumbers, and tomatoes.
Same here - Magnacut and LC200N in the garden. I often wake up to 'used' Spydies on the kitchen counter. I wince, wipe and wemember.
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Wince,wipe and wemember 🤣
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

Sun Jul 09, 2023 12:15 pm
JoviAl wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2023 6:20 am
Do any of you guys use permaculture methods to maximise your yields? I’ve planted a large section of my food forest at work using permaculture tenets for mutually supportive plants and it’s been a revelation - not only do they symbiotically support each other, but the soil quality seems to improving each year from a claggy tropical clay to more of a tilth.
I have not but would like to try…I’ve seen some videos on it and it’s crazy the yields…I do however have a pretty good compost pile built up by spring…I change and or add to existing soil each year and rotate crops…if I had more space I’d experiment more with it…next on my list is a drip system for irrigation…I’d sure like to hear your history with it and see some pics
It’s easier than it sounds (or at least I thought it sounded pretty complicated before I tried it 😜). I’m heading to my site later on this week to plant in some 2 year old Kaffir limes, Malaysian Dwarf coconuts, frangipani and curry leaf plants so I’ll take some photos then, but it mostly boils down to teaming plants up that work symbiotically together - usually in trios. A tree, a few bushes and a carpet shrub/ground cover is the standard trifecta.

If you would like them I have loads of digital permaculture resources that I can share.

I’ve got some wonderful Soursop fruit coming through at the moment, plus loads of cassava, Jaboticaba, lemongrass, blue ginger (galangal) and mulberries. Photos to follow 👍🏻
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Sounds great Al and I can’t wait to see some photos because I’ve never heard of some of these and would be interested in any info you have 👊
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

A vegetable garden can technically just be a planter on a deck or a pot on a porch
Mrj

Post by Mrj »

MRj “Weak things break!”
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

We can't keep the stinkin deer out of our garden....
I've honestly been tempted to take that Semi-automatic rifle & just mow their azzes down.....I've had as many as 20 deer in my yard at a time.
Already saw a couple huge black bear too...the bears dont bother me but, those deer are a real nuisance- they eat all my wild blackberry's too!
*edit* I should add, that an electric fence did no good.
Sorry for tye rant, just really pizzed off about it.
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Mrj wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:40 am
Wow Mr.J that is such a killer garden you have there…the corn shot is amazing…do you keep the squash or zucchini (can’t tell) in the pots or put them in the ground? Just curious 🤔👊
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

MacLaren wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:03 am
I've honestly been tempted to take that Semi-automatic rifle & just mow their azzes down.....I've had as many as 20 deer in my yard at a time.
Already saw a couple huge black bear too...the bears dont bother me but, those deer are a real nuisance- they eat all my wild blackberry's too!
I get it man…one year on a lease I used to be in down in south Ga. we planted a 5 acre food plot with soybeans and weren’t too worried about it because it was 2400 acres of peanuts,soybeans,corn and cotton plus there were 8-1200 lb. feeders spread throughout the place so there were plenty of groceries to be had…long story short they mowed it down like a bush hog in a week’s time…PM me your address and I’ll bring my bow 🤣…seriously though put up a fence, it’s the next best thing to bloodshed
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

SaltyCaribbeanDfly

MacLaren wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:03 am
Have a look at Critterfence.com
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

After two visits by the local deer I finally got the fence up. My beautifully planned frame ended up warped to **** by the very crappy deer netting I used. But...it will work just fine.

Mrj

Post by Mrj »

Mon Jul 10, 2023 5:22 pm

I love this picture. I think it’s one of my favorites of yours.
MRj “Weak things break!”
Mrj

Post by Mrj »

Mon Jul 10, 2023 5:07 pm
Mrj wrote:
Wow Mr.J that is such a killer garden you have there…the corn shot is amazing…do you keep the squash or zucchini (can’t tell) in the pots or put them in the ground? Just curious 🤔👊
Some in pots. Some in ground. The pots always do better but because of bugs I try to do both.
MRj “Weak things break!”
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Mrj wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:04 pm
Mon Jul 10, 2023 5:22 pm

I love this picture. I think it’s one of my favorites of yours.
Thanks man…just trying to keep up with MrJ 👊
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Mrj wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:05 pm
Mon Jul 10, 2023 5:07 pm
Mrj wrote:
Some in pots. Some in ground. The pots always do better but because of bugs I try to do both.
Good to know, thanks 😉
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

HolySteel wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 7:53 pm
After two visits by the local deer I finally got the fence up. My beautifully planned frame ended up warped to **** by the very crappy deer netting I used. But...it will work just fine.

Hey as long as it keeps em’ out…👏👊