If you could have any knife in magnacut, why would you opt for another steel?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Re: If you could have any knife in magnacut, why would you opt for another steel?

Post by Evil D »

apollo wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:23 am
Since there is always some new steel coming around the corner every few years i am sure you will all forget about magnacut just give it some time…

If it does what MagnaCut is doing vs other steels, we should hope to be that lucky.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JRinFL

Re: If you could have any knife in magnacut, why would you opt for another steel?

Post by JRinFL »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:14 am
apollo wrote:
Since there is always some new steel coming around the corner every few years i am sure you will all forget about magnacut just give it some time…

If it does what MagnaCut is doing vs other steels, we should hope to be that lucky.
This ^.

What Dr. Larrin did is very important because it was considered unlikely that all three parameters could be raised at the same time. And it turns out the fourth parameter (corrosion resistance) was also raised. Imagine four levers where before if you raised one or two levers then one or more would need to move down. Dr. Larrin made it where all four could move upward at the same time, though not equally.

New cutlery steels may come, but I expect many will come from Dr. Larrin's work on MC. Also, there is plenty of room for other steels that excel in certain parameters. Many people want edge retention over any other parameter, others toughness, etc.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:14 am
apollo wrote:

It isnt about luck it really is about time. And now that magnacut has done what it did to the industry it should be easier since it far easier to improve something then to invent something. Just tweak the composition a bit and voila you have Magnacut 2.0 in a few years.
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

As a non metallurgist, and a knife user that cares much more for getting the right design, as long it is not a literal bad steel (very poor ratio of alloys and elements for example) I’ll take just good or even decent steel in all my favorite models and be perfectly happy. I’d say currently none of my favorite models have as great of a steel as magnacut so sure I guess I’d opt for those versions if they were available.
:bug-red-white
Current “dream collection” of knives
temperance 1, lil temperance 1 serrated leaf, black micarta calypso jr & calypso, cocobolo kopa, stainless serrated harpy, stainless cricket
JoshLikesSekiCityKnives

Post by JoshLikesSekiCityKnives »

I opt for other steels for various reasons.
1. Certain characteristics one may have.
2. Because I refuse to believe everything else sucks except for Magnacut or the next big thing.
3. To upset and piss off Magnacut or steel of the month sycophants.
4. Because I want to try other steels of my own accord instead of following the trend.
5. Economic reasons such as limited funds.
6. Because I do what I want at the end of the day. Not what YouTube or others tell me I need to do. And turning the knife community into some sort of Gucci shopping competition is pathetic.
If there is any knife I want to try in Magnacut it would be the Hogue EX-02 as Magnacut is pretty much an improved version of the 154CM used in the EX-02.
z1r

Post by z1r »

vandelay wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:04 pm
I'd take k390 over magnacut for some uses cases because k390 seems to have its edge last forever and it really easy to sharpen to a razor edge. Patina is fun too.
I kinda feel this way too. From my experience, these two could fill my needs.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

vandelay wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:04 pm
I'd take k390 over magnacut for some uses cases because k390 seems to have its edge last forever and it really easy to sharpen to a razor edge. Patina is fun too.

I don't have K390 (yet), but as you describe it I'd take it over MC too.

Concerning patina: I consider those "non practical" or perhaps even "impractical" properties of steels too to some degree: And patina, scratches, blades that "live", "tell a story" and develope individual distinctive looks is just something I like.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

Okay, it’s early days and all that, but; if you could have a steel that is highly corrosion resistant, has the edge retention of the middle “S” steels, and approaches CPM-CRU-WEAR in toughness, why wouldn’t you?

The only reason not to go that route, as far as I can see, is that you want more toughness, even more corrosion resistance, or more edge retention.

So, Magnacut looks fair to be knocking off most of those steels that compete in its strengths, maybe, depending on price and availability.

Doesn’t mean all other steels are obsolete, but it sure is a killer marketing advantage, if it all pans out as it seems to be panning out.

Looking forward to getting my Native 5 and seeing what’s what.
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

If it's an affordable steel with "better" properties on all fronts then yes i'll upgrade. But i'm more a model nut instead of a steel nut. I don't really hardly use my knives other then carrying it "just in case" and my main cutting task is cutting plastic wrappers and opening food bags. The stuff VG10 or S30V is perfectly capable doing a very long time.
I have a UKPK in S110V because i wanted a UKPK for the model (to carry in Germany), and the standard model was sold out for months but i have cut maybe 10 things in 2 years with it. Do i need to upgrade to this steel just for it's amazing cutting performance if i don't really cut that much and pay a lot more for exotic steel? So if i get an upgrade for the same model in better steel without paying more then yes.
Araignee

Post by Araignee »

kennethsime wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:41 pm
Magnacut is probably the best compromise produced in a knife steel today.
This. It looks like the best all-around steel at the moment.

If Sal ever blesses me (us) with a Magnacut Chaparral, it'll pretty much become my end-all be-all knife ; thanks to both its shape and its steel.
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

I'm another in the, "why?" camp.

Magnacut might be a better balanced steel than S30V, at least on paper, but that doesn't necessarily translate to any incremental improvement for me, the knife owner. It might be tougher than S30V, but S30V has never failed me. Similarly, it may be more corrosion resistant than S30V, but I've never had S30V rust. Finally, I know S30V takes the kind of aggressive edge I like, but I have no information as to whether Magnacut does.

Why would I pay extra for a Magnacut blade?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

dsvirsky wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 3:16 pm

Magnacut might be a better balanced steel than S30V, at least on paper, but that doesn't necessarily translate to any incremental improvement for me, the knife owner. It might be tougher than S30V, but S30V has never failed me. Similarly, it may be more corrosion resistant than S30V, but I've never had S30V rust. Finally, I know S30V takes the kind of aggressive edge I like, but I have no information as to whether Magnacut does.

There are a million analogies here. Why buy a high end aged bourbon when PBR gets you drunk just fine? You like the taste, it's cheaper, it's never not got you drunk.

You either value the ways it's better or you don't. It's not wrong if you don't, but just because you don't doesn't mean it's not better.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

I like my MagnaCut, but I'm also a steel and sharpening nerd and enjoy trying out other steels. Especially high wear resistance ones. And there's nothing at all wrong with an outdoors fixed blade made of well done AEB-L. Steel variety is still a good thing, to me.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

ladybug93 wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:58 am
i should probably add though that magnacut is the steel i'm most excited about so far because it was teased to be added to my favorite knife in its first salt version. i really can't wait for my magnacut manix. i imagine it will be great for me, but i'm sure there will always be others that prefer something else for various reasons.
⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️
James Y

Post by James Y »

If I buy another knife at some point, it will most likely be the Magnacut UKPK Salt. I have the SE in LC200N, which I love, and had considered getting a PE; but now that the UKPK Salt will have a Magnacut version, I'm glad I held off and want the PE Magnacut version.

Magnacut really sounds like a great steel, but I can't in all honesty have an opinion on it based on experience, because I have none.

I would like a G10 Manix 2 in Magnacut, if the hardware is also made extremely corrosion resistant.

Jim
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

A couple of things:

We should not be paying more for Magnacut vs other PM steels, at least according to Larrin.

And no one, that I know of at least, is seriously advocating for replacing all steels on all knives with Magnacut. Many of us feel it might be the best choice as the default steel vs many steels that are currently in play.

Plenty of non-PM steels are less expensive, plenty of others excel in certain parameters and they all will continue it be used in knives.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Because there's Rex45.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
BeggarSo

Post by BeggarSo »

Hmmmm... Hmmmm. Hmmmm. lots of opinions knew a question like this would do this.

I am not seeing many people who use Magnacut though.

When it comes to Magnacut I have been using it for roughly 3 or 4 months now daily and I can vouch for it 100 Percent and say unless a certain model is unavailable in it this is the all in one go to knife steel and there s no need for another.

Sharpening people however and steel enthusiasts are of course the exception and there of course we throw out the concept of need and go straight to want. Nothing wrong with this of course. Been there done that pretty much over it.

Need to me means satisfying all conditions of knife steel superbly and Magnacut more than achieves this.

I've read it written that more time is needed. I disagree 1 knife or two properly heat treated are plenty to form a decision on any steel really.

I've read it written that the next great thing this and the next great thing that but in point of fact there has never been anything that matches Magnacut.

For all intents and purposes Magnacut is indeed a crowning achievement in cutlery metallurgy until something better is developed this is it.
:bug-red-white Those who are wise sharpen their steel to it's chemistry not their beliefs. "BeggarSo" :fortune-cookie
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

If Magnacut came out of the box with that "magic burr that cuts forever", that might make sense, but until then, K390 is working fine for me.
Don't have issues with corrosion, and I learned as a child how not to break knife blades through personal experience.
BeggarSo

Post by BeggarSo »

dsvirsky wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 3:16 pm

#1. I have not seen Magnacut costing extra in fact unless you are getting a custom it is equal to S30V the recent Native release by Spyderco was very affordable.

#2. Not to worry it takes the nice aggressive edge like S30 V does and hold it allot longer.

#3. I have had S30V, M390 and analogs as well as CTS 204P and Elmax rust one me as well as CTS-XHP and other steels, I have purposely abused Magnacut with lemon juice and Vinegar leaving it out to dry over night without any corrosion.

#4. I have had S30V break on me the tips come off while cutting cardboard without any staples etc or purposeful sideways force. I have had S45VN not only chip out but tips break off.

I have accidently slammed Magncut pretty hard in to the bamboo cutting board after first cutting through frozen ham which is not the brightest thing to do but it kept its edge and did not deform chip or change in anyway in fact I exclaimed uh oh that cant be good but was surprised how nothing changed I mean I really slammed it in hard enough to make people jump in the living room and say are you okay?

Is Magnacut worth it? Yes

If you are happy with S30V in a model is it still worth it? No It makes better financial sense to stick with what you already have and are happy with.
:bug-red-white Those who are wise sharpen their steel to it's chemistry not their beliefs. "BeggarSo" :fortune-cookie