To DLC or not to DLC?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Do you like DLC? Why or why not?

Poll ended at Fri Oct 28, 2022 10:35 pm

Yes
33%
No
15%
Added corrosion resistance
17%
Scratches on blade
3%
Like the looks
15%
Don’t like the looks
7%
Light discipline
2%
Other (please explain yourself)
7%

Total votes: 123

JSumm

Re: To DLC or not to DLC?

Post by JSumm »

Ramonade wrote:
Sat Oct 22, 2022 1:11 pm

It's in my plans to by a DLC coated Spyderco, but sometimes it's hard to know wich coating is used on wich model. Japanese Spydercos seem to use TiCn and DLC seems to be found on Golden Spydercos, is that right ?
That is correct. Taiwan has also used TiCn.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
SRT392HEMI

Post by SRT392HEMI »

Satin only for me. I like my steels shiny.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

To me, blade coatings of any kind add expense without benefit. I live in a near-desert a thousand miles from an ocean. I've carried uncoated 1095 carbon steel knives for about 55 years without having one rust away to unuseable. I'm a low-speed, high drag operator who has never had to deanimate a sentry, and I'm too old to start now. The largest employer in this county is a beef packing plant. Half the population has made a living with a knife at some time, so folks don't panic at the sight of a blade. Corrosion resistence ranks below flavor on my piority list, and light discipline ranks below that. And it may be my imagination, but it feels like DLC adds drag when cutting soft material.
vivi

Post by vivi »

DLC definitely adds a little drag. If I didn't care about corrosion resistance I'd avoid it for that reason.
:unicorn
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

SRT392HEMI wrote:
Sat Oct 22, 2022 2:28 pm
Satin only for me. I like my steels shiny.
Same. I'll take the patina on my non stainless steels, when it comes. For times I need good corrosion resistance, stainless is always there for me.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

JSumm wrote:
Sat Oct 22, 2022 2:08 pm
Ramonade wrote:
Sat Oct 22, 2022 1:11 pm

It's in my plans to by a DLC coated Spyderco, but sometimes it's hard to know wich coating is used on wich model. Japanese Spydercos seem to use TiCn and DLC seems to be found on Golden Spydercos, is that right ?
That is correct. Taiwan has also used TiCn.
This is a sign, I need a DLC Native 5 (LW).
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

I prefer uncoated, but I have some coated blades. The only models I think look better with a coated blade are the Salt and Pacific Salt, but that's TiCN.

If I decided to use a rust-prone steel like M4 or 52100 in a rust-inducing environment, I would definitely want DLC. That's just not likely to happen.
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

I go with uncoated or coated blades, depending on the situation (I do think certain designs lend themselves to the "blacked-out" look). With work knives, I tend to go with uncoated blades, since they'll get scratched up anyway (the exception is with non-stainless tool steels... if there is a DLC/TiCN option, I'll go with it over the uncoated version).

Outside of work, I think I carry uncoated & coated blades about equally, though I will almost always go with a DLC/TiCN knife when going into social situations where it makes sense to be more discreet (because dark-coloured objects look smaller than their shinier/more saturated counterparts)
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Have M4 with it and without it….

Doesn’t really bother me either way.
Can’t say I would buy a knife because of it, or not because of it.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
SchoonerBum

Post by SchoonerBum »

Does not wanting to entice barracuda to go after my hand count as "light discipline?" :thinking

My favorite non-pointy dive knife is a discontinued Benchmade with a bright orange handle and a DLC blade. I wish there were more options like that. I could of course blade swap my Pacific Salts if I want a folder of that sort badly enough.

One place I wish we would see more coatings is on the hardware. As far as aesthetics are concerned I usually prefer black hardware to shiny, regardless of whether the blade is coated or not.

Does DLC have to be black? How about a sprint run with a blurple DLC blade? :savouring
SpyderGrill

Post by SpyderGrill »

I have thought about this before for a long time, What if the blade from the plunge line back to the scales was DLC and the rest of the blade was Satin. Under the scales was protected from rust and the rest of the knife can patina if that is whats wanted.

Im not a a Photoshop guy, someone do it. Halfway on the opening hole back to the the scales is DLC coated, away from scales is Satin blade.

I dont know how easy this would be for Spyderco and I surely dont want to add anymore cost to make a knife in this day, But it sure would ease my mind about rust under the scales around the pivot on a tool steel knife.
Salty Dog

Post by Salty Dog »

Yes, really like the all blacked out look, attracts less attention in public than a flashy silver blade too.
Extra corrosion resistance too is hardy, although the rust gets under it fairly easily.
Spyderco do very good DLC from my experience, tends to be tougher than a lot of other brands coatings.
razorburn

Post by razorburn »

I appreciate the rust protection dlc offers.I wish more models with steels like maxamet and k390 were coated.I passed on the Manix,endura,Ladybug and police just to name a few.
Foehammer

Post by Foehammer »

Very interesting thread. Some great insights by the knowledgeable folks here. 👍🏼
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

~Joe

MNOSD member #0045
SteveMidwest

Post by SteveMidwest »

For me personally. I have to vote "Added corrosion resistance".

I love the looks of great grind work on my satin blades. But, to make my life just a little easier. I do like to now have DLC on steels that really do need it for corrosion resistance. Sometimes I just get a little tired of washing, wiping, and oiling my blades. So often times I'll carry a DLC blade, so I can be a bit lazier that day! :smiling-cheeks

Steels I like to see coated in DLC. 52100, K390, and M4. These are the only ones that come to mind at the moment. I don't seem to have any trouble with D2, PSF27, K110, PMA11, 10V, Rex 45, Rex 76, Rex 86 (Z-Max), CTS XHP, or Maxamet.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

SchoonerBum wrote:
Sat Oct 22, 2022 9:41 pm
Does not wanting to entice barracuda to go after my hand count as "light discipline?" :thinking
Yes. Yes it does. I can't fault you for that. On the other hand, it's not something I worry about. Not many barracuda walking around out here where the rivers run underground.
Ranger_Ike

Post by Ranger_Ike »

ladybug93 wrote:
Sat Oct 22, 2022 6:31 am
i love a black blade. i also like it when they get marked up from use. i hate scratches on satin, but marked up coatings look awesome to me. i can't explain it. also, even though i hate scratched satin, i really like stonewashed finishes. dlc and stonewashed finishes both scream work to me. satin blades make me want to baby a knife and keep it perfect.
THIS.
Sometimes I wish DLC was easier to scratch. I realize there are other reasons, but for me it’s purely the looks. I like it on some knives/colors but wouldn’t want it on everything.