Next Sprint Run target??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Re: Next Sprint Run target??

Post by JD Spydo »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:31 am
rgc wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:10 pm
C73 Impala. Yes it will be expensive as it is a G10 model from Japan but I will live with that. I would be happy to see it in maybe S90v or 110v or ZDP-189 or really any steel other than VG-10 or S30v. Give it a cool G10 color (I would want a hunter orange) and a cool steel and I'm in regardless of the price.

Oh yeah, feel free to make it a compression lock but the liner lock is still good too.
I had one and regret selling it . If it had been a lockback, I would still have it . Probably one of the finest hunting folders produced by Spyderco. Beautiful and functional . MG2
Man I'm so glad you brought up the IMPALA model. I've wanted to see a Sprint Run of that model for quite a while now. But in the past I've not been able to get enough people on board with the idea. Well not like they did with the C-60 Ayoob anyway.

There were 3 variants of the IMPALA and I had all 3 of them at one point in time. And the one with the Guthook was one of the better GUTHOOK models I ever used. But the IMPALA makes an excellent hunter/folder.
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

Too many good ideas in this thread and other similar ones.
Spyderco has made such an extensive amount of great knives, but can’t make everything all at once, so it’s no surprise to see demand from new or nostalgic customers that appreciate the past.
I do think that this is where sprints can shine a light back into the graveyard and revive some models. Its the perfect time of year for that, anyway.

I have many models in mind to suggest for sprints and more ideas for “updates” and other variations.

I think the fixed blades deserve more sprint run love, though! I’ll come back and actually name some models in a bit.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Cl1ff wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 11:46 am
Spyderco has made such an extensive amount of great knives, but can’t make everything all at once, so it’s no surprise to see demand from new or nostalgic customers that appreciate the past.
I do think that this is where sprints can shine a light back into the graveyard and revive some models. Its the perfect time of year for that, anyway.

I have many models in mind to suggest for sprints and more ideas for “updates” and other variations.

I think the fixed blades deserve more sprint run love, though! I’ll come back and actually name some models in a bit.
Nothing wrong with exploring fixed blade models at all . Just a discussion ,diversity is and should be welcome . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Cl1ff wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 11:46 am

Thank you for mentioning Spyderco's sometimes overlooked "Fixed Blades". For years now I've been trying to convince Spyderco and the Forum Brethren that their old TEMPERANCE 1 model ( in PE & SE) would make an ideal candidate for a SALT SERIES version. The TEMP 1 with an LC200N blade in both PE & SE would be an affordable but yet ideal set of outdoor fixed blades with a corrosion resistant blade.

The TEMP 1 is the perfect size and the handle is ergonomic perfection IMO. The TEMP 1 is still to this day my all time favorite Spyderco fixed blade. It's one model with an IN HOUSE design that they got perfect the first time around.
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 10:37 am
Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 9:57 am
C52 calypso jr with the classic black micarta handle with black clip and gold spyderco logo, PE hollow ground blade in k390 or zdp with jimped thumb ramp & choil. I think that would make for a pretty exciting edc folder.
Interesting that you would want a C-52 Caly Jr. with a "hollow grind". Because the stainless handled version of the Caly Jr. did have a hollow grind and it was the only one of that model that did have it>> at least that I'm aware of anyway.

I often wondered why they quit making the Caly Jr. with the Micarta handles? Because collectors really pay big for the few that come to surface.

But a Caly Jr in K390 I would be all for if enough people would go along with it. However I personally tend to like the longer blade models because that's what I usually EDC.
Yeah I love the hollow grind version, but they only made the black micarta Caly jr in the full flat, and as you said, the hollow version is exclusive to the stainless handle version. but I see no reason why it has to remain that way . I often wonder why they quit making the Calys as part of regular production line, period. Though spyderco makes so many different knives, the heart of the company to me feels like what they do best is provide simply useful, well designed and versatile mid-size folding pocket knives for the average workingman/woman, that you can have as your one do it all folder. I generally prefer folding utility use pocket knives around 3” blade, and I find that what’s most commonly necessary for blade length you’d need to ask of a edc pocketknife to accomplish. The Calypso jr seemed to be based on that idea, and Sal knocked the design out of the park.
:bug-red-white
Current “dream collection” of knives
temperance 1, lil temperance 1 serrated leaf, black micarta calypso jr & calypso, cocobolo kopa, stainless serrated harpy, stainless cricket
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

That makes two of us wondering why they discontinued the Caly Jr. It's probably one of the most sought after discontinued Spyderco model ever. I've turned down some pretty decent offers for my Burgundy ZDP-189 version>> and were talking about a much used knife at that.

But to agree with you point I do believe that a really nice version of the Caly Jr would make a really nice Sprint Run.

The one that confuses me more than that is the grand-daddy of all the Calypso models which is the C-54 Calypso ( the big one). I never understood why it didn't take off any better than it did. My own personal preference would be to see the C-54 return. It is a really regal design and an In House design at that. It seems like most all of the Calypso models have had a dedicated following.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I'm a really big fan of the full sized Calypso too.

If I had to guess why it didn't take off, I'd guess because of its size.

I think most folks buying a 4" blade folder want something meant to be used hard, something tough and rugged.

I think most folks buying a gents style folder are looking for 3.5" blade tops, usually shorter.
:unicorn
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

vivi wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 2:09 pm
I'm a really big fan of the full sized Calypso too.

If I had to guess why it didn't take off, I'd guess because of its size.

I think most folks buying a 4" blade folder want something meant to be used hard, something tough and rugged.

I think most folks buying a gents style folder are looking for 3.5" blade tops, usually shorter.
Yeah Vivi I kind of thought along those lines myself somewhat. There is one other possibility that I've pondered. During that time slot ( late 90s/early 2000s) there were a lot of really popular Spyderco models that seem to hit that market all at once. Not to mention many of the permanent models like the POLICE, ENDURA, DELICA were all starting to sell fast as well might have truly overshadowed the C-54 Calypso. I do remember when I got my first C-54 around 2002 they were really hard to find for some reason. And the full SE version was even harder to find.

It also seemed during that time period that many of the collaborations were outselling some of the IN HOUSE designs at that time too. Yeah I know it's been a very long time ago but that's when I was really getting into the premium knife market and was really getting focused on many different Spyderco models more than I usually would. With the recent C-60 Sprint Run doing so well it makes me wonder that some of these older, overlooked models were maybe ahead of their time when they were first released? Because that sure seems to be the case with the C-60 Ayoob model.
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

I think a drop point Stretch 2 with CruWear, full exposed liners and gray G10 scales would rock.
rgc

Post by rgc »

Is this where I say Impala again? Looking to start a ground swell, might as well start here. :squinting-tongue
Last edited by rgc on Wed Oct 19, 2022 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rgc

Post by rgc »

Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 1:43 pm
That makes two of us wondering why they discontinued the Caly Jr. It's probably one of the most sought after discontinued Spyderco model ever. I've turned down some pretty decent offers for my Burgundy ZDP-189 version>> and were talking about a much used knife at that.

But to agree with you point I do believe that a really nice version of the Caly Jr would make a really nice Sprint Run.

The one that confuses me more than that is the grand-daddy of all the Calypso models which is the C-54 Calypso ( the big one). I never understood why it didn't take off any better than it did. My own personal preference would be to see the C-54 return. It is a really regal design and an In House design at that. It seems like most all of the Calypso models have had a dedicated following.
Those burgundy Clay Jr.s are so nice looking.
I love the Gold Bug too!
Also think the C-54 is the best looking large pocket knife Spyderco has made.
ZDP-189 apparently doesn’t have much of a future, which is a shame, but a Burgunday C-54 with a gold bug and high wear resistance steel would be legendary.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Tristan_david2001

I think I take back my Caly jr vote. We need another c54 run in g10, in my personal preference dove-gray with a black clip and gold bug logo. And a balanced tool steel that sharpens up good.
temperance 1, lil temperance 1 serrated leaf, black micarta calypso jr & calypso, cocobolo kopa, stainless serrated harpy, stainless cricket
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:17 pm
I think I take back my Caly jr vote. We need another c54 run in g10, in my personal preference dove-gray with a black clip and gold bug logo. And a balanced tool steel that sharpens up good.
That’d be nice too!
capt.carl

Post by capt.carl »

Japan made some nice micarta models. I miss my mini persian with a bolster and micarta that was a beauty.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Cl1ff wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 7:01 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 1:43 pm

Those burgundy Clay Jr.s are so nice looking.
I love the Gold Bug too!
Also think the C-54 is the best looking large pocket knife Spyderco has made.
ZDP-189 apparently doesn’t have much of a future, which is a shame, but a Burgunday C-54 with a gold bug and high wear resistance steel would be legendary.
Great Points you make!! Because so few people realize how many great IN HOUSE designs that Sal & Eric have come up with over the years. Take Eric's "Dodo" model for instance. You couldn't have gotten any other knife company to have touched that one with a 50 foot pole. Not only did Spyderco come up with the design they even gave it a cult following and a huge fan base as well.

I still think that Sal's design of the TEMPERANCE 1 and TEMPERANCE 2 models are some of the most regal fixed blade designs I've ever encountered>> and they are super functional as well. There are a lot of Spyderco's IN HOUSE designs that we simply overlook.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

rgc wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 4:09 pm
Nailed it ! One of the best features of a well designed hunting folder that could be used equally in edc . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Cl1ff wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 9:42 pm
Tristan_david2001 wrote:
That’d be nice too!
What a ride!! Now you've got me leaning heavy on a C-54 Calypso with a supersteel blade, G-10 handle ( the same G-10 material on the C-60 Sprint run) and be available in PE & SE both just like the C-60 Ayoob was.

But I won't completely turn my back on a possible JD Smith model really jazzed up. But the C-54 is really starting to sound good.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:45 pm
rgc wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 4:09 pm
Nailed it ! One of the best features of a well designed hunting folder that could be used equally in edc . MG2
It's been so long since the IMPALA model has been talked about. And with fall and winter hunting seasons fast approaching it is starting to sound enticing. The IMPALA was an awesome "Hunter/Folder". But we would need many more people on board.

Right now it's the C-54 Calypso, JD Smith and Impala models in the final stretch. But I'll let the rest of you put in your votes as well.
Tristan_david2001

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Oct 21, 2022 8:59 am
Cl1ff wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 9:42 pm
Tristan_david2001 wrote:
That’d be nice too!
What a ride!! Now you've got me leaning heavy on a C-54 Calypso with a supersteel blade, G-10 handle ( the same G-10 material on the C-60 Sprint run) and be available in PE & SE both just like the C-60 Ayoob was.

But I won't completely turn my back on a possible JD Smith model really jazzed up. But the C-54 is really starting to sound good.
I am recently finding a new great admiration for the C54 calypso, even slightly over the caly3.5, the Calypso looks like it has a phenomenally comfortable grip while your holding it below the finger choil because of it’s broader and more slightly curved shape, the 3.5 feels like it’s most at home in your hand incorporating the choil in your grip, which is excellent but not always optimal in more aggressive cutting. I’ve simply fallen in love with the design so I won’t be waiting for the possibility of getting a new c54 sprint run in the future, unless it’s my dream grail version like the one I described, for now I’m trying my best to save up for the c54 sprint from 2013!