Stretch 2 lock rock?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
soc_monki

Re: Stretch 2 lock rock?

Post by soc_monki »

Not really sure if any of my sekis have lock rock, never really tested them for it. I know they function fine, so I never really thought about it. They open, cut things, and close. Haven't had one close on my hand, but I don't whack the spine on things or baton with them so...

Have my K390 Endura in my pocket, just checked, it's solid. Maybe I'll check the others later.
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
James Y

Re: Stretch 2 lock rock?

Post by James Y »

Lock rock isn't specifically a Seki issue, but is an issue with back locks in general. I own around six Buck lockbacks/back locks, and five of them have always had lock rock, some a lot.

I never bought the first version of the Native, because every sample I examined back in the late '90s or early 2000s had lots of lock rock. The Golden back lock has been re-engineered in recent years, and is rock-solid now, or at least the ones I have are.

IMO, Seki back locks today are more solid overall than the ones from back in the day. I have several Seki back locks from recent years that have zero lock rock. Some have a tiny amount when applying heavier cutting pressure.

If lock rock is really a problem, when ordering, order over the phone, and specifically ask the dealer to inspect the knife, to ensure it has no blade play (lock rock) in the locked-open position before they ship it.

Jim