The Delica Wharncliffe is the greatest work knife ever made.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Pickmansmodel82

Re: The Delica Wharncliffe is the greatest work knife ever made.

Post by Pickmansmodel82 »

The lc200n warncliffe delica is my absolute go to for gardening and yard related cutting. Can’t misplace it, good solid tip and edge. A little work on a fine grit stone before and it’ll do every reasonable (and some even less than reasonable) task.
Skar

Post by Skar »

I have the lc200n se as well, more for kayaking.
I'm biased, I like just about all Spyderco's.

I would buy a hap 40 if they released it.
Razor G43

Post by Razor G43 »

I bought one with a serrated blade. It has not left my pocket! Great knife.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I have 4 now (K390, VG10, 20CV, and Salt) and hope to add the Orange S30V (who has one??..DM me!) and Teal S30V soon. They certainly are amazing work knives! I have been carrying mine non-stop now for a few months. I have the Endela as well, and that one is just as good! Keep the Wharnies coming!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
kadinh

Post by kadinh »

im between getting HAP40 and K390; i dont have either steel at the moment.
You should never have to ask yourself "do i really need another knife?" The answer is obvious...
z1r

Post by z1r »

Razor G43 wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:45 am
I bought one with a serrated blade. It has not left my pocket! Great knife.
Yeah, I feel you. Got one I like a lot too!
kadinh

Post by kadinh »

I pulled the trigger on a K390 wharnie yesterday pretty much bc of this thread. It pushed me over the edge.
You should never have to ask yourself "do i really need another knife?" The answer is obvious...
JFrame

Post by JFrame »

Doggonit, you people...

I bought a 20CV Delica a month or two ago... Now, because of this thread, I ordered another one!

You all are costing me money!!! :O

;)
elena86

Post by elena86 »

You are quite close but .... THIS is the real champ.

Spyderedge makes the difference.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Is the Wharncliffe easy to sharpen in a guided system? I'm sure I can free hand it, but I worry about putting a curve on the blade over time.
Haunted House

Post by Haunted House »

I couldn’t agree more!
There’s just something special about the wharncliffe Delica and the way it feels, cuts, and the way it opens due to the extra mass in the blade. I really like sharpening them as well.

I wish Spyderco would make a Cruwear wharncliffe Delica. Hopefully a Magnacut version (in proper Delica form, with liners) will be coming in the near future.
fixall

Post by fixall »

GarageBoy wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:29 pm
Is the Wharncliffe easy to sharpen in a guided system? I'm sure I can free hand it, but I worry about putting a curve on the blade over time.
I use an Edge Pro guided system for most of my knives (and a Sharpmaker for touchups). Wharncliffes are an exception. Unless I'm very, very careful, I sometimes round the tip on wharncliffes on guided systems. For me, I've found that the easiest way to sharpen a wharncliffe is freehand on a stone that is at least as wide as the blade is long. With even pressure, I can sharpen a Delica wharncliffe on a 4" x 10" DMT stone VERY easily and quickly... And I suck at freehand sharpening.
fixall

Post by fixall »

Haunted House wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:07 pm
I couldn’t agree more!
There’s just something special about the wharncliffe Delica and the way it feels, cuts, and the way it opens due to the extra mass in the blade. I really like sharpening them as well.

I wish Spyderco would make a Cruwear wharncliffe Delica. Hopefully a Magnacut version (in proper Delica form, with liners) will be coming in the near future.
A "Crucarta" Delica Wharncliffe and Para 3 are among my most wished for variations.

MagnaCut would be sweet! A nice tough stainless, with solid edge retention is always welcome. With how slicey the Jazzica is, I think S90V in particular would really shine... Although I'd like to see an S90V version of nearly every Spyderco I own, lol.
fixall

Post by fixall »

Also...

Can someone PLEASE tell me that I do not need an S30V Delica Wharncliffe with an orange and black SureTouch handle!!!

Because I'm starting to feel like I need an S30V Delica Wharncliffe with and orange and black SureTouch handle...
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

I only have the Hap40 and a couple serrated VG-10 ones. But I love the knife. Kinda want the K390 but I can't decide if I want it just for patina reasons. The Hap40 is more than adequate, in fact a favorite steel of mine. The serrated is amazing and I'm not sure how I came to own multiples lol. My only request would be for a blacked out one, but Seki models don't seem to really come that way anymore.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
fixall

Post by fixall »

knivesandbooks wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:44 pm
I only have the Hap40 and a couple serrated VG-10 ones. But I love the knife. Kinda want the K390 but I can't decide if I want it just for patina reasons. The Hap40 is more than adequate, in fact a favorite steel of mine. The serrated is amazing and I'm not sure how I came to own multiples lol. My only request would be for a blacked out one, but Seki models don't seem to really come that way anymore.
In it's stock form, the HAP40 Delica Wharncliffe is my all-time favorite Spyderco knife. Of all the knives I own, it's the only knife I own a backup because I'd be more or less devastated if something were to happen to it. That said, I find K390 and HAP40 to be completely different beasts. The HAP40 should be tougher (not something I've noticed with my use case scenarios), but what I notice most is that it seems to like a fine edge, while the K390 likes a toothy edge. With a toothy edge, the K390 seems to last forever, while the HAP40 loses it's edge quicker. With a mirror edge, the K390 doesn't seem to hold an edge much longer than the HAP40. Not sure if there is actually something to that... Just what I've noticed with use.
z1r

Post by z1r »

elena86 wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:13 pm
You are quite close but .... THIS is the real champ.

Spyderedge makes the difference.
Indeed! The only Delica I own that sees any pocket time.

soulspy

Post by soulspy »

A question for you Delica lovers- are the handles of the Salt 2 the same as the Delica 4?

I'm liking the look of some of those aftermarket scales, but I only have a Salt 2...
RevMike

Post by RevMike »

My K390 Wharncliffe Delica is getting some pocket time today at work.

404 :bug-red-white s in 81 steel flavors.
RevMike

Post by RevMike »

soulspy wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:56 am
A question for you Delica lovers- are the handles of the Salt 2 the same as the Delica 4?

I'm liking the look of some of those aftermarket scales, but I only have a Salt 2...
No. I don't believe any of those would work. The Salt 2 is a linerless knife and the delica has liners.
404 :bug-red-white s in 81 steel flavors.