Mini Caribbean?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Matus

Re: Mini Caribbean?

Post by Matus »

aicolainen wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:17 am
I respectfully disagree.
It's all good - the whole point of a tread like this is to have a discussion.

I have for my personal purposes & pleasure a little PowerPoint where I have quite a few Spydercos all to-scale (to each other), so that I can compare them in life-size on a large monitor. I have attempted to simply scale-down the Caribbean to a 4" total closed length (handle length) - see the photo attached. I would just manage with my very average M-sized with skinny fingers hand to get a full grip.

I have for comparison included the Urban, Para 3 (when not using the choil) and PM2. As one can see, the grip area would be actually a little more than Para 3 (which I confess does not give me full support with thumb on the spine-ramp), a bit less than Urban (which works just fine when using the choil) and somewhat less than PM2 (which works very well for my hand).

Now - we all know, that this is not how smaller/larger versions of a given model are actually designed, but it may give a rough idea.

With the above said - unless changes would be made especially to the butt of the handle (something along the lines of Urban or Chaparral), then 4" closed length would be about as small as I would consider usable even for people with small/medium hands. If one goes any smaller than that, the range of users who could grip the knife comfortably would shrank quickly.
Mini_Caribbean.JPG
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Matus wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:19 am
aicolainen wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:17 am
I respectfully disagree.
8< -----

I have for my personal purposes & pleasure a little PowerPoint where I have quite a few Spydercos all to-scale (to each other) my very average M-sized with skinny fingers hand to get a full grip.

8< ----

Mini_Caribbean.JPG
That's a nice, informative graphic. Thanks for sharing, Matus!

Not really sure how to categorize my hand size. I have long fingers and fairly regular palms, so size L gloves tend to fit very well, but my finger are skinny so I don't need a lot of real estate on the under side to support my fingers.
I have a perfect behind-the-choil grip on a P3.

Based on your comparison, I think a 4" closed length mini Caribbean would be pretty optimal for my hand size. Slightly wider grip area than the P3 allows some wiggle room for thin gloves or hand swelling. And as you point out, makes it viable for those who find the P3 just a little too cramped.
If such a knife existed, the P3 would be very hard to justify.
Matus

Post by Matus »

aicolainen wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:35 am
If such a knife existed, the P3 would be very hard to justify.
I very much agree.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...