Coming back to the plain Delica 4 after experiencing the entire lineup

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
prndltech

Re: Coming back to the plain Delica 4 after experiencing the entire lineup

Post by prndltech »

steelcity16 wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:54 pm
benben wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:29 pm

Pretty sure a Siren is next on my “must purchase” list, but a serrated wharncliffe Delica or Salt is also on that same list!

I'm hoping they do the Wharncliffe PE and SE Salt 2 models in the new Toxic Green LC200N version. Those would be very popular being FFG I'd imagine. I've held off on the H1 because I am hoping for FFG LC200N.
Good! More H1 for the rest of us :p
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Back when I could go to my church or teach in person I often carried a clipless Delica 4 in my pocket. It really is all the knife one needs to carry in those environments. It disappears in my pocket, yet is so capable when needed. Now I wear cargo pants 99% of the time, so I carry bigger blades. But someday...
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I love the Delica. It is my favorite folding knife, period, and the Endura takes second place (Manix 2 LW and Backlock 3rd).
I only buy Delicas and Enduras nowadays. In fact I have three Delicas on order and am thinking of a 4th. I can only add one more thing to what has already been said. The Delica is a great hunting knife and was designed that way. it is perfect for skinning deer and smaller animals. The Native 5 sucks at this. The Delica has no choil to get caught up in what is being cut, either.

I carry mine without the clip simply dropped into my pocket where it disappears as it is so thin. I love this knife. I remember years ago, a certain competitor of Spyderco's was a favorite of mine. But I got sick of that blade to handle ratio nonsense and bought a Delica and never looked at the other company again. It is too perfect.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Looking at recent threads I am glad to see that folks seemingly come back to realize how perfectly designed and usefull Delica (if a smaller knife is sufficient) and Endura (if one wants/needs a longer blade) really are.

Said it several times before, but sometimes I get the feeling that some people automatically think more "modern" models must necessarely be upgrades over "older" ones - while those newer ones really are "just" alternatives, that might be "better" for the one person but not for the next.

Next thing people sometimes don´t seem to consider: Delica and Endura have been around for a long time, BUT also have been constantly tweaked and refined over all that time!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
elena86

Post by elena86 »

The wharnie SE Delica was allways with me for the last 6 months or so. It packs terrific cutting power but when I need clean cuts it performs given I keep the spyderedge at peak sharpness. I only wish they release a SE wharnie D4 with black LC200N blade and toxic green handle. I wouldn’t mind yellow but toxic green(or even lime green) would be awesome. The same for a SE Endela :spyder:
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
benben

Post by benben »

Sal, I propose we put JD’s Ayoob project on hold for awhile and get on a toxic green, fully serrated LC200N wharncliffe Delica in FFG for steelcity & elena!

Good morning JD! :D :D

JD.......I’m kidding!
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:35 am
Looking at recent threads I am glad to see that folks seemingly come back to realize how perfectly designed and usefull Delica (if a smaller knife is sufficient) and Endura (if one wants/needs a longer blade) really are.

Said it several times before, but sometimes I get the feeling that some people automatically think more "modern" models must necessarely be upgrades over "older" ones - while those newer ones really are "just" alternatives, that might be "better" for the one person but not for the next.

Next thing people sometimes don´t seem to consider: Delica and Endura have been around for a long time, BUT also have been constantly tweaked and refined over all that time!
Gernot, can you give me a size comparison between a Delica and Endela?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

benben wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:44 am
Sal, I propose we put JD’s Ayoob project on hold for awhile and get on a toxic green, fully serrated LC200N wharncliffe Delica in FFG for steelcity & elena!

Good morning JD! :D :D

JD.......I’m kidding!
I second that motion, but with a Delica styled blade and point.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:36 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:35 am

Sure, as soon as I get home!

But what I can tell you right now: For me the Endela is like 90% Endura and just 10% Delica.
When taking just a quick look I think the Endela could get confunded with an Endura, but never with a Delica.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

I regularly go off on digressions in my knife hobby (right now I'm all about wharncliffes, prior to that I was fixated on combo/serrated edges, before that I was really into fixed-blades, etc.) but I always, inevitably, go back to regularly carrying the Delica and the Endura. They're just classics of industrial design, and as others have said in this thread, if I were ever put in a situation where I could only have one folder for the rest of my life, I'd be okay with having just a Delica or an Endura.
20200913_120559.jpg
carrot

Post by carrot »

Doc Dan wrote:
Hobnob

Post by Hobnob »

Yea I have been around the proverbial block with different models. Being a Lefty the Back lock just works best for me. The Delica is my main carry these days. The Salt 2 is the alternate. Same size, just a brutha from a different mutha.

Delica 4 k390 to be delivered tomorrow. Can't wait.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

carrot wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:37 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
Thanks!

I wonder at the actual size difference and whether or not I can get an Endela in my watch pocket.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Last edited by Wartstein on Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:14 pm
carrot wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:
I wonder at the actual size difference and whether or not I can get an Endela in my watch pocket.

Doc, I am still not at home but will send comparison pics as soon as I am!

But I don´t think the Endela is a "watch pocket knife" - it has practically the same closed length as a Stretch (Endela 4.69", Stretch 2 4.71") and almost the one of a PM2 (4.82"). Most people would consider it a medium to large folder I guess
The Endela is certainly a bit less tall/wide overall and thinner as a PM2, but of the same thickness as a Stretch 2

As said, when handling the Endela it feels almost like an Endura, but really not like a Delica - the latter feeling (and being) thinner and less handfilling overall - while the Endela, due to the redesigned handle, even feels a tad MORE handfilling than an Endura. It is just "missing" the very end part of the handle (the Endura handle is about 0.3" longer) which I don´t use/need anyway. I personally ever so slightly prefer the Endela handle over the Endura handle. But NOT the fact that the Endela offers substantially less cutting edge (2.99" vs 3.44" Endura)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Double post, sorry
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Doc Dan wrote:
carrot wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:
Doc, what I happen to have with me right now are comparison pics of Endela and PM2! Might be helpfull in deciding if the Endela could be a watch pocket knife for you (as said, I don´t think so!)

Image Image
carrot

Post by carrot »

Let it be said that if you are trying to squeeze blade and cutting edge into the most compact size, the Delica 4 (and its family) are not it.

The Astute squeezes an Endela cutting edge into a smaller-than-Delica handle. Sal & co are truly magicians. I'm excited to see newer designs like the Rockjumper in my own hands.

I am pretty sure, though, in the end of the day, I'll still be slipping the Delica back into my pocket. I find the shape so appealing, both open and closed. I love the colorful FRN handles available, and, though I love large handles, the Delica still has plenty of handle.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:05 am
Doc Dan wrote:
carrot wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:
Doc, what I happen to have with me right now are comparison pics of Endela and PM2! Might be helpfull in deciding if the Endela could be a watch pocket knife for you (as said, I don´t think so!)

Image Image
Thanks for the pics. On my Wrangler jeans I can get a Manix 2 LW into the watch pocket, but of course the wide blade shows. I think the Endela is a bit longer looking at it compared to the PM2.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:04 am
Wartstein wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:05 am
Doc Dan wrote:
carrot wrote:
Image Image
Thanks for the pics. On my Wrangler jeans I can get a Manix 2 LW into the watch pocket, but of course the wide blade shows. I think the Endela is a bit longer looking at it compared to the PM2.
Doc, the Endela is of the exact same closed length as the Manix 2 LW as far as I know! But not as wide!
So Iĺl send you comparison pics of THOSE two models, ok?