Red Loctite Legacy...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
tps3443

Re: Red Loctite Legacy...

Post by tps3443 »

The Deacon wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:25 pm
tps3443 wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:36 pm
You can still heat the water to 500f in a oven.

What color is the sun on your planet, or are there more than one?

Only 1 sun on my planet, but Superheated water is liquid water under pressure at temperatures between the usual boiling point, 100 °C (212 °F) and the critical temperature, 374 °C (705 °F). It is also known as "subcritical water" or "pressurized hot water."

It’s called a crock pot
“My daily razor blade”
Microtech Stitch CTS-204P stonewashed blade
Microtech Dirac Delta CTS-204P Black DLC
^Wicked Edge guided system^
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

tps3443 wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:55 pm
The Deacon wrote:
tps3443 wrote:

Only 1 sun on my planet, but Superheated water is liquid water under pressure at temperatures between the usual boiling point, 100 °C (212 °F) and the critical temperature, 374 °C (705 °F). It is also known as "subcritical water" or "pressurized hot water."

It’s called a crock pot

So when you super heat water under pressure, what happens when you release it back to atmospheric pressure at those temps?

Are you gonna cook the knife in a crock pot?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

tps3443 wrote:
The Deacon wrote:
tps3443 wrote:

It’s called a crock pot
Perhaps you mean pressure cooker?
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I used a hair dryer last night and pliers on a clip screw. Worked great. Should have hit it with the hair dryer before but that's the first time I stripped a screw head on a clip. It only took one try too. The torx bit just shredded it
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:19 pm
tps3443 wrote:
The Deacon wrote:
tps3443 wrote:

It’s called a crock pot

So when you super heat water under pressure, what happens when you release it back to atmospheric pressure at those temps?

A pressure cooker only boils water at about 250 degrees. It would take A LOT of pressure to boil water at 500 degrees.

If you release super heated water under pressure to atmospheric pressure it will boil extremely rapidly. I cook beans in a pressure cooker. When I cook beans I always remove the heat and allow it to depressurize slowly. If I just open the vent it boils so rapidly that the beans fall apart. That is good for split pea soup where you just want them pureed. It is not so good for making black beans and rice.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
ekastanis

Post by ekastanis »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:54 pm
A pressure cooker only boils water at about 250 degrees. It would take A LOT of pressure to boil water at 500 degrees.

~665 psi (~49 bar) over atmospheric pressure

Johnnie1801 wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:01 am
Tried the nail trick with the pivot and no joy

Try a larger nail with more thermal mass (held with suitable pliers or tongs) and heat it with a blow torch.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:54 pm
Evil D wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:19 pm
tps3443 wrote:
The Deacon wrote:

It’s called a crock pot

If you release super heated water under pressure to atmospheric pressure it will boil extremely rapidly. I cook beans in a pressure cooker. When I cook beans I always remove the heat and allow it to depressurize slowly. If I just open the vent it boils so rapidly that the beans fall apart. That is good for split pea soup where you just want them pureed. It is not so good for making black beans and rice.

I knew that, I was just seeing if he did, since almost his entire post was copied from Wiki.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superheated_water

The point is you can't have 500 degree water at atmospheric pressure so that you can then dip a knife into it. Even if a pressure cooker could get it that hot, as you said the instant you pop it open it'll essentially explode and/or immediately turn to water vapor so you can't simply dip your knife in it and hope it breaks the locktite free.

This entire issue really isn't this complicated.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Yeah, I’m that guy. I answer rhetorical questions. :o
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
tps3443

Post by tps3443 »

Yea I meant pressure cooker. I’ve got a digital pressure cooker. After it heats up, it’s screen says 290f - 310f. I dunno 🤷‍♂️ honestly why this thread lock is such a big deal. I wouldn’t boil my knife for any reason. I’d just get the right bit, and tap it with a rubber mallet real good. And slowly apply torque loosening it. Done deal.

I Hope you get it worked out.
“My daily razor blade”
Microtech Stitch CTS-204P stonewashed blade
Microtech Dirac Delta CTS-204P Black DLC
^Wicked Edge guided system^
40mm

Post by 40mm »

So i picked up a used Pac Salt, (maybe 4th times a charm) and the pivot screw is just spinning when trying to take it out. I thought the female piece had a flat spot it in so that it couldn't just spin but that's what seems to be happening. Red loctite maybe? This one has the older more squared off clip. First knife I've ever had this issue with. Any help would be appreciated. Already tried heating up metal and touching it to the screw to no avail. WOn't come out and just spins.
Mike Slayer

Post by Mike Slayer »

With my background working on farms and in garages along with gunsmithing and driving 18 wheelers I have run into my share of stuck and tight fasteners. I found penetrating oils, butane powered soldering pencils and blow torches on larger applications along with a impact driver and hammer work wonders. Impact drivers are handy because it allows you combine heat and shock to loosen fasteners. If you don't know you hit the back of the impact driver so it shocks it while turning the fastener at the same time. You can find smaller ones on amazon that will take the high quality torq bits. This method works wonders on scope rings and mounts after red loctite is used.

I have no clue why Spyderco didn't use this orange threadlocker instead of red threadlocker. This replaced my blue and red threadlocker for the most part. It has the strength of the red but can be removed like the blue.

https://www.permatex.com/products/threa ... eadlocker/
40mm

Post by 40mm »

I'm just gonna return it. Carry on folks.
LetItBleed

Post by LetItBleed »

Soldering iron (harbor freight sells cheap ones for $4.99, heats up past 700 degrees). Wait about 2-3 min for it to heat up then hold it onto the stubborn screws for about 45 seconds. The screws will turn no problem.
I’ve dealt with Spyderco red loctite for years and on just about every scale type (g10, FRN, titanium, CF, etc) it’s exactly the same procedure with the same result every time. Never had any damage or failure. Can’t recommend it enough.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

40mm wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:50 pm
So i picked up a used Pac Salt, (maybe 4th times a charm) and the pivot screw is just spinning when trying to take it out. I thought the female piece had a flat spot it in so that it couldn't just spin but that's what seems to be happening. Red loctite maybe? This one has the older more squared off clip. First knife I've ever had this issue with. Any help would be appreciated. Already tried heating up metal and touching it to the screw to no avail. WOn't come out and just spins.
The fastener does have a flat on it. The FRN handle had a matching flat before someone started turning the screw. Placing the knife on a piece of leather like an old belt and pressing down hard while turning the screw with a properly fitting driver might help.
aaronkb

Post by aaronkb »

I’ve used a hair dryer, and I’ve sometimes had to run it a frustratingly long time but it hasn’t failed yet.
40mm

Post by 40mm »

See that’s what worries me because the female side shouldn’t be spinning like it is if there’s a flat. Assuming the previous owner stripped the FRN.
yablanowitz wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:43 pm
40mm wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:50 pm
The fastener does have a flat on it. The FRN handle had a matching flat before someone started turning the screw. Placing the knife on a piece of leather like an old belt and pressing down hard while turning the screw with a properly fitting driver might help.
Hopsbreath

Seriously?

Post by Hopsbreath »

Johnnie1801 wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:01 am
apologized
They actually listened to their customers and made a change in the process. This is an example of Spyderco’s CQI. At no point do I see a need for a public apology.

Hair dryer works fine, I’ve taken apart a BHQ M4 Military using that method. Same CQI, same red loctite.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Considering I had screws fall out of my never-disassembled CF/S90V Para2 made before they switched to the stronger threadlocker, I hardly think an apology is called for either. CQI, correcting a real, existing issue, is not something to apologize for. That their fix interfered with people doing what the maker advised them not to isn't very apology-worthy either.