PPT or Yojimbo 2 - which do you prefer?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Donut

Re: PPT or Yojimbo 2 - which do you prefer?

Post by Donut »

Pros to the PPT: closed back makes stuff not get at the point, thinner blade makes it cut better, the detent is stronger, it flies open, very low profile clip, less slippery, easier to access lock, lock doesn't ever pinch, larger hole, hole is easier to get your thumb on.
Pros to the Yo2: lighter overall weight, thicker blade forces things to separate, able to pinch grip the outer section of the handle, easier to get out of your pocket, feels like an extension of your hand, no jimping on the spine of the blade.

Pros to both: very comfortable in hand, a good pointer finger guard to stop from slipping forward, both are good with hammer grip, both are pretty flat on the spine, you can rest your thumb on the back of the blade.

Cuscadi makes a back spacer for the Yojimbo, so having my clothes get to the tip of the blade and get cut... can be fixed.

The PPT is borderline too heavy for me, but a really nice knife otherwise. I think the lack of ability to reduce weight is because of the lock selection. I would LOVE to see a hybrid between the PPT and the Yojimbo 2, but maybe the hybrid is already the Ailistair Phillips design.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Gah. You guys are going to make me buy a PPT.

That lock looks like the only iteration of a liner lock I might be interested in. I really want to try it out.
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

Donut wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:44 pm
Pros to the PPT: closed back makes stuff not get at the point, thinner blade makes it cut better, the detent is stronger, it flies open, very low profile clip, less slippery, easier to access lock, lock doesn't ever pinch, larger hole, hole is easier to get your thumb on.
Pros to the Yo2: lighter overall weight, thicker blade forces things to separate, able to pinch grip the outer section of the handle, easier to get out of your pocket, feels like an extension of your hand, no jimping on the spine of the blade.

Pros to both: very comfortable in hand, a good pointer finger guard to stop from slipping forward, both are good with hammer grip, both are pretty flat on the spine, you can rest your thumb on the back of the blade.

Cuscadi makes a back spacer for the Yojimbo, so having my clothes get to the tip of the blade and get cut... can be fixed.

The PPT is borderline too heavy for me, but a really nice knife otherwise. I think the lack of ability to reduce weight is because of the lock selection. I would LOVE to see a hybrid between the PPT and the Yojimbo 2, but maybe the hybrid is already the Ailistair Phillips design.
I agree with most points made.

But have you had problems with clothes getting caught in the Yojimbo2?

I dont seem to have that problem.
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

TomAiello wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:03 am
Gah. You guys are going to make me buy a PPT.

That lock looks like the only iteration of a liner lock I might be interested in. I really want to try it out.
Just call us The Enablers :D

The PPT is a great quality knife.

Do remember to report back, when you've bought one.
Donut

Post by Donut »

SpyderScout wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:52 am
Donut wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:44 pm

I agree with most points made.

But have you had problems with clothes getting caught in the Yojimbo2?

I dont seem to have that problem.
I used to carry it inner waist band as a backup and when I would tuck my shirt in, it would catch often.

I bought the Cuscadi back spacer to stop it.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

I havent carried it IWB but I can see, how that could happen in that position.

Ill have to check out the backspacer.
vernonremington

Post by vernonremington »

I got one of the PPT s90v from the recent sprint and had a Yojimbo S90v sprint from last year.

PPT for me. I had a Yojimbo for a while and it just didn’t like my hands. I just couldn’t get a good grip on it and the compression lock would pinch my hand when flipping open. I have at least 20 Spyderco’s and the yojimbo was the first to do this.

The PPT just feels more refined and I like the thinner and smaller blade. I’m not a lanyard guy, but I actually like it on the PPT with the deep carry clip.