Yojimbo 2 Trainer

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jabba359

Re: Yojimbo 2 Trainer

Post by jabba359 »

Pictures are popping up of the Yo2 trainer on the Spyderco Facebook group. Seems the first batch went to the MBC attendees, so they're finally out in the wild.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

In stock at rivers edge cutlery! $125, nicely priced!

https://riversedgecutlery.com/products/ ... rainer-red
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Great news! I'm gonna have to wait till next month (I just bought like 3 knives this week) but very exited to try one of these out.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
cevtv

Post by cevtv »

Just got my trainer. Thank you Sal & Mike for making this happen!!
ZMW

Post by ZMW »

Tell me if I am in the minority, but why does a trainer cost so much when the steel can be any cheap stainless steel? Should the cost be driven down big time? They have the G10 handles already planned and ready, its just figuring out and machining a cheap stainless "blade" for the trainer. Am I wrong here?
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

ZMW wrote:Tell me if I am in the minority, but why does a trainer cost so much when the steel can be any cheap stainless steel? Should the cost be driven down big time? They have the G10 handles already planned and ready, its just figuring out and machining a cheap stainless "blade" for the trainer. Am I wrong here?
I have no way of knowing this outright, but it's entirely possible that using CTS-BD1, which is already used on Golden, CO knives, may be more cost-effective than purchasing a completely different steel in a relatively small amount. I think the only way to really drive down cost would be to export the manufacturing of the trainer, which may not be viable for several reasons.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

dplafoll wrote:
ZMW wrote:Tell me if I am in the minority, but why does a trainer cost so much when the steel can be any cheap stainless steel? Should the cost be driven down big time? They have the G10 handles already planned and ready, its just figuring out and machining a cheap stainless "blade" for the trainer. Am I wrong here?
I have no way of knowing this outright, but it's entirely possible that using CTS-BD1, which is already used on Golden, CO knives, may be more cost-effective than purchasing a completely different steel in a relatively small amount. I think the only way to really drive down cost would be to export the manufacturing of the trainer, which may not be viable for several reasons.
They don't have red G10 Yo2 scales just laying around and they also build it to the quality of the live blade. For someone who legitimately trains with knives and carries a Yo2, I would think $125 would be a small investment. I don't train any martial art for the record and don't own a live Yo2 much less the drone, but I would suspect if it was haphazardly built others would complain.
ZMW

Post by ZMW »

@ Twinboysdad. I assume the molding and machining for the G10 handles is the same as the regular knives, so I assume not additional investment to mold new handles (I do NOT know the industry, just guessing). But, the price is the same as the S30V model. Couldn't they use a cheap stainless steel to drop the price? Less grinding and sharpening of the blade, shouldn't that reduce the costs? Just curious

I am sure there are reasons for the price, but I always wondered about the cost of the trainers.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I don't know for sure but I think it takes them just as much work and man hours to make a Yojimbo Trainer as it does to make the real Yojimbo. I don't think the difference in cost between S30V and BD1 is great enough to offset that by much if at all. It seems logical to me that they would be the same price.

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

It might be easier to make it sharp than make make it melted blunt all over?
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

ZMW wrote:@ Twinboysdad. I assume the molding and machining for the G10 handles is the same as the regular knives, so I assume not additional investment to mold new handles (I do NOT know the industry, just guessing). But, the price is the same as the S30V model. Couldn't they use a cheap stainless steel to drop the price? Less grinding and sharpening of the blade, shouldn't that reduce the costs? Just curious

I am sure there are reasons for the price, but I always wondered about the cost of the trainers.
That's what I was trying to say about BD1: they already have a bunch of it and already order it in bulk from Carpenter for the Manix 2, so any steel other than BD1, S30V, or S35VN would have to be a specialty order, not unlike a sprint run, and probably not cost-effective. I'd imagine they didn't go with S30V or S35VN because of the reasons you yourself are positing in terms of cost. I also suspect they wouldn't want to "cheapen" S30V and S35VN as premium steels by using them on a trainer. I do think you're correct about the G10; the only difference should, theoretically, just be the dying process for red instead of black.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

The G10 comes in solid colours. It is only adventurous folk that are dying the G10 once they have bought the knife. G10 is not molded, but ground to shape.

Yup, I know that G10 can be made in layers of different colours, but that is not the point here now.

That said, I will be getting a couple of Y2 drones... :)
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Got the trainer today. I love the finish on the “blade”. The red g10 looks great and well...I just couldn’t help myself. I had to do a blade swap.

Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390

@liquid_cobra
nicked.onaut

Post by nicked.onaut »

Liquid Cobra wrote:Got the trainer today. I love the finish on the “blade”. The red g10 looks great and well...I just couldn’t help myself. I had to do a blade swap.
Looks good.
Now just put a drop of DayGlow orange on each scale of the swapped Yo2 trainer. Safety first 8^p
Did you get your Shaman yet?

kind regards,
a n.on
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Looks great LC!

Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Thanks guys. No shaman yet, but it shouldn’t be too much longer.

@liquid_cobra