not a fan of frn....

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mwebb524

Post by mwebb524 »

My main issue with FRN is it isn't a good impact tool. I carried an FRN Goddard often until a year and a half ago when I was laying some carpet on my stairs. Some of the staples weren't going all the way in and I tried to use the butt of the knife to pound them in. The staples just gouged the FRN and stayed sticking out. Do I have a hammer? Yes. But it is often more expedient to pound on something with what's in my pocket (a jammed clip on our dog chain is a frequent example). For that use, something with a steel butt is better so I usually carry my Caly3 or SS Delica. I love everything about my Native, except that it feels like a less useful tool for this reason.
No man can ask for greater gifts than wisdom and patience.
Ben_1323

Post by Ben_1323 »

I like FRN just fine. But from now on I only like to buy FRN handled knives if they have liners, because it has some flex to it. My Salt 1 has developed quite a bit of blade play. Steel liners give the FRN some rigid reinforcement.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

I didn't think much of FRN until I started beating on my Endura. Now I know that FRN is "really up to snuff".
Drudge

Post by Drudge »

I still don't like FRN and Im afraid I never will.
BDNX

Post by BDNX »

I love the stuff...all my Spydercos so far have been FRN...even though I still only have a few. Although I have a white micarta Goddard Jr. on the way.
My Spydies: Sharpmaker • Tasman Salt • Saver Salt • Ladybug Hawkbill Salt • Salt 1 • Blue/Gray Meerkat • Burgundy Meerkat • Manix2 Ltwt Translucent Blue • Manix2 Ltwt Blacked Out • Manix2 Backlock • Ladybug 1 Red • Blue UKPK • Tusk • Blue Lava • Dog Tag • Bug • Honeybee • Grasshopper • Stepped Ti Chaparral • McBee • AEB-L Urban
dialex

Post by dialex »

FRN is indeed the stepchild of knife materials. I do love it anyway.
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
APS

Post by APS »

FRN is also my fav handle material. Got a great texture and is durable. There is still a lot of the "plastic is crap" sentimentality going on, I see it in the firearms world as well. But I think the material has been around long enough now in all the varied forms that it's proven itself capable.
adam
Paul 883215

Post by Paul 883215 »

I can't wait for the FRN Manix 2. I'll take mine with a full flat grind please!

Paul
fret

Post by fret »

I like the frn better than the ss. I have both. I like having my frn Delica in my pocket with very little to no weight. The ss has lots of weight to it. I am always carrying my frn Delica in preference to the ss one.
Spydie-50

Post by Spydie-50 »

Paul 883215 wrote:I can't wait for the FRN Manix 2. I'll take mine with a full flat grind please!

Paul
I'm also looking forward to this knife,along with a ffg. I'm wondering if they'll add skeletal liners(maybe in a web pattern ?).
I have a feeling without it it would feel unbalanced. I know they wanted to keep the price point low though.