Anyone else use a straight razor?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Chris_H

Post by Chris_H »

vampyrewolf wrote:Well, just working out details, but looks like I'll be getting a couple full stainless dovo's this fall when I'm down in Michigan. Have a member on the other forum close enough to the factory to hand pick 'em for me... Just have to say what size I want, but won't know for sure until my 3 are repaired and used a couple times.
I wouldn't be surprised if 6/8 is where you prefer your razor size.
"All your :spyder: are belong to us."
** WTC # 1032 1533 **
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

Chris_H wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if 6/8 is where you prefer your razor size.
The 3 I have measure out at 9/16, 5/8 and 6/8. I know the 6/8 feels better in my hand with more weight and a thicker spine... but I'm sending them off to Butch in monday's mail, so I'll know shortly what works. The Parker is also 6/8.

So far what I've found online says I cleaned house on the king cutter and the hamburg ring at $10 a pop.

Round 2 tonight ;)
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

Woo!
Round 2:

other than under my nose and against my ears, I did it all with the straight. Couple interesting grips and angles, but I used both hands rather than reach at all. Most importantly... no nicks and it's the smoothest shave I've ever had. Took **** near 45min, but was well worth it.

So why didn't I switch over to straights a long ime ago?
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
JaM

Post by JaM »

I've been trying to get myself into a straight, but I still shave "wet" (it's called either wet, or dry shaving here. Dry is with a machine), with a (I think) Gillette mach 3.

I'd love to try it but the costs to get into it still kinda scare me ("what if I can not get it t o work for me ?"), and I've tried to get a good shaving soap/foam here. Still no luck.
Never stropped anything in my life, too. :o

maybe, maybe I should give it another shot. Or try disposables/safeties (single bladed, "old style") first... Hmmm.

Defiantly an interesting thread, thanks.
Chris_H

Post by Chris_H »

vampyrewolf wrote:Woo!
Round 2:

other than under my nose and against my ears, I did it all with the straight. Couple interesting grips and angles, but I used both hands rather than reach at all. Most importantly... no nicks and it's the smoothest shave I've ever had. Took **** near 45min, but was well worth it.

So why didn't I switch over to straights a long ime ago?
Congratulations -- yeah, why didn't you already switch? ;)

Your time is actually common --it will come down as you gain proficiency. Using both hands is th way to go, so keep at it. You'll learn how to manuever the blade to suit your beard's growth, get a close shave, and avoid nik or razor burn.
JaM wrote:I've been trying to get myself into a straight, but I still shave "wet" (it's called either wet, or dry shaving here. Dry is with a machine), with a (I think) Gillette mach 3.

I'd love to try it but the costs to get into it still kinda scare me ("what if I can not get it t o work for me ?"), and I've tried to get a good shaving soap/foam here. Still no luck.
Never stropped anything in my life, too. :o

maybe, maybe I should give it another shot. Or try disposables/safeties (single bladed, "old style") first... Hmmm.

Defiantly an interesting thread, thanks.
Your country actually has a highly regarded product line -- DE Vergulde Hand...
http://www.verguldehand.nl/

On a trip to Amsterdam, I was able to find the shavign soap, shaving cream, aftershave balm, and alum block in a drugstore in town. Either a boar brush or badger ahir brush will do. You can start out with a Merkur DE safety razor, and the blades are likely readily available at the same locations with the De Vergulde Hand products, if you don't want to invest in a straight razor. Let me know what more you need in terms of enablement, and I'll try to oblige. :D
"All your :spyder: are belong to us."
** WTC # 1032 1533 **
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

Look into the Dovo Shavette style razors. I found a Parker SRW and 120 blades on ebay for ~$30, which is what I spend in a month on blades anyways (at a minimum). If it doesn't work out, you aren't out a whole lot.

if you want to skip all the way ahead to a regular straight, you'll need a strop at a minimum (folks on the straightrazorplace are world-wide, ~$20 every 2-3 months for honing if you want experienced hands doing it). So we're at ~$100 for a dovo razor, ~$20 for the first honing, and ~$30 for a strop.

I managed to find 2 quality straights for cheap at a flea market, saved quite a bit of coin on them ($20 vs ~$300+), and getting 3 cleaned up to use, then sending off for honing every month or so once the first one hits that point... so ~20 a month vs a couple thousand in stones, there's no way to go through even $2 worth of soap a month.. call it $25 a month for costs, I was spending close to $40 on blades alone. Save $15 a month, in a year I'll be ahead of the game when the costs for equipment have paid for themselves.
J D Wijbenga

Post by J D Wijbenga »

I recently started again. Interesting and informative experience. Gives a great shave but requires practice.

JD