ZDP-189 Mule Team MT04P Updated

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
gunmike1

Post by gunmike1 »

I'd recommend a cord wrap or a pre made handle that only requires light torque fasteners on the hard one just to be careful. Tom Krein made beautiful Brown Canvas Micarta handles for mine but said 2 of 10 ZDP 189 Mules broke, and he was being VERY careful with them. I can't wait to use mine and see how it compares to my 64.5 RC ZDP folders. It will be interesting to look for differences and then get it Rockwell tested to see if my perceptions of it's hardness match the actual number. I just had to put the warning out there as I'd hate to see someone wanting to use really hard ZDP have their knife crack and have to use mere very hard ZDP instead of 66-67 RC ultra hard ZDP. In all likelihood the softer ones will be the better users, but we'll have to see.

Mike
brandonreed2008

Post by brandonreed2008 »

I need to get one of these mules!
War is mostly waiting.
Eighth of Eight

Post by Eighth of Eight »

gunmike1 wrote:I'd recommend a cord wrap or a pre made handle that only requires light torque fasteners on the hard one just to be careful. Tom Krein made beautiful Brown Canvas Micarta handles for mine but said 2 of 10 ZDP 189 Mules broke, and he was being VERY careful with them. I can't wait to use mine and see how it compares to my 64.5 RC ZDP folders. It will be interesting to look for differences and then get it Rockwell tested to see if my perceptions of it's hardness match the actual number. I just had to put the warning out there as I'd hate to see someone wanting to use really hard ZDP have their knife crack and have to use mere very hard ZDP instead of 66-67 RC ultra hard ZDP. In all likelihood the softer ones will be the better users, but we'll have to see.

Mike
I recently finished a ZDP with Cocobolo. I was just very careful not to put any lateral pressure on any part of the Mule. I am willing to finish them, but don't know if I'd use one...

Maybe a re-heat treated ZDP is in my future, who knows. A chance to use some of that steel would be fun. :)
:spyder::D:D:spyder:
D'fly PE - D'fly SE - S.P.O.T. PE - '09 Swick - Caly 3 SE - Native DLC SE - Manix 2 SE - Tasman Salt SE - Saver Salt SE - Dodo SE - MT05P - Centofonte 3 - Yin/Yang - Baby Goddard - MT06P -
Swick 2 - '09 Meercat - Superhawk - C101GPBL2 Blue Manix 2
:spyder::D:D:spyder:
Doc Pyres

Post by Doc Pyres »

There are still some ZDP mules for sale on the SFO website. Does anyone know if they're the super hard ones or the reheat treated? It is Dec. 20th here as I write this.
Doc Pyres

Post by Doc Pyres »

*Bump* :)
JLS

Post by JLS »

If they ship it out right away, I'd imagine it's one of the harder Mules. If they make you wait, they're being heat treated. You might email Spyderco SFO directly to see if they kept a few on hand.
42 Spyderco fixed blades and counting...
Doc Pyres

Post by Doc Pyres »

JLS wrote:If they ship it out right away, I'd imagine it's one of the harder Mules. If they make you wait, they're being heat treated. You might email Spyderco SFO directly to see if they kept a few on hand.
Good points, JLS. I wonder if they held back a bunch to reheat treat but also put some of the super hards for sale on the website, or if they put them all up for sale at once. If the latter, Spyderco won't have any to reheat treat. :D It looks like they're mostly all gone.

I did email the SFO yesterday, but it was late in the evening. I'm sure they'll get back to me after the weekend.
Murdoc

Post by Murdoc »

Whow, pretty interesting stuff. Keep us posted!

You know, owning one of the "crazy hard" MULEs is (from a collector's standpoint) pretty cool. Maybe Sal, Taz & Co. won't have to re-heat_treat THAT much MULEs because of that ;)

As always, that is contradictory to the intended purpose of the MULE series. Well, 80% of the Spydie knives nowadays won't see any hard use anyway. That said, it would be interesting to be omniscient and know which model actually sees most (EDC or other) use, most likely being the NKP making the difference. Therefore, my bet would be the Endura, with the Delica close 2nd.

My 52000 and M4 MULEs recieved some "handle" love from cuscadi... I'll just have to obtain a matching sheath and I'm ready for EDCing one of them!

Dennis
CaptainBeaky

Post by CaptainBeaky »

Doc Pyres wrote:If the latter, Spyderco won't have any to reheat treat. :D It looks like they're mostly all gone.
:eek: Hope they do have some left to H/T - I'm twiddling my thumbs waiting for a softer replacement.

Hmmm - reading that sentence again - could be misunderstood :rolleyes:

I mean a ZDP Mule at the lower hardness :cool:

And it will get used - my Mule 01 has been done a lot of carving :D

Merry Christmas All