What are you listening to?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Extra330SC

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by Extra330SC »

https://youtu.be/82cJgPXU-ik
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

James Y wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 8:02 pm
https://youtu.be/-wIGrtRzj3Q

Jim
Holy Cow!!!!! The Twelve Dreams of Dr. Sardonicus >> dude!!! I literally got through high school listening to that album so much. It had several great tunes on it. Some of them include "Nature's Way", Animal Zoo, Prelude Nothing to Hide, and one of my all time Spirit favorites "Morning Will Come".

Ed Cassidy the bald headed drummer was actually Randy California's step dad and was really the brains behind that band. Local radio stations here in KC still play "I Got A Line ON You" quite a lot during the course of a year. Which was on another one of Spirit's great albums. A group that sprung off of them known as Jo Jo Gunne did a great concert here in KC back in the 70s. Jay Ferguson in that group was also a genius. I just loved the "Twelve Dreams of Dr. Sardonicus" >> it was in my all time top 10 albums ever.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

James Y wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 3:57 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 11:52 am
Again I mention the one British band that was truly huge over in Europe in the 70s, 80s and the early part of the 90s and that is Roxy Music. There was a time that anywhere in Europe it was close to impossible to get a good ticket to see Roxy Music and their lead singer Bryan Ferry was about as well known and even better liked than Mick Jagger over in Europe but for some strange reason they just never really got past first base here in the USA :confused: Some other super European bands like The Pentangle, The Strawbs, Steeleye Span, Fairport Convention and SLADE were huge stars over there but here in the USA they maybe had a cult following at best :confused: .

Yeah I know what you mean about the Bee Gees :rolleyes: they were just too much Top 40 and somewhat bubble-gum in my opinion. Which is strange in a way that they sold as many records as they did. Of course timing was everything when you think about it. Because had Alice Cooper hit the scene ten years earlier or even 5 years later he would not have gone over really big like he did in the late 60s/early 70s. And speaking of Alice Cooper he wasn't nearly as popular across the pond as he was here in the USA. You could probably say that for at the Detroit bands I'm sure.
Yeah, I get why it's puzzling that some groups or individuals never gained much of a foothold while others went over the top. Personally, I don't mind some 'bubble gum' so long as I can enjoy something about it. I remember back when radio music stations combined multiple genres and styles. Funk, 'bubble gum', soft rock, hard rock, even some crossover country-Western songs. Especially in the '70s I was exposed to it all.

Jim
yeah Jim I sort see what you mean>> because back in the day a bunch of my buddies used to give me a hard time because I actually really liked some of the old stuff of the Jackson Five ( Michael Jackson's old group). But I did run around with a heavy metal, hard rock crowd back in the day and it's understandable why some of the guys regarded the stuff of the Jackson Five as being kind of "bubble gumish". I liked Michael a lot better in the old Motown days than I did with his stuff in the 80s & 90s. Although I did think that Billy Jean and Beat it were both kind of snappy.

I never really liked Country & Western all the much either but I did have a few exceptions in that genre which included Tony Jo White, Jerry Reed, Garth Brooks and the Man in Black Johnny Cash will have my respect forever.
James Y

Post by James Y »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 2:30 am
James Y wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 8:02 pm
https://youtu.be/-wIGrtRzj3Q

Jim
Holy Cow!!!!! The Twelve Dreams of Dr. Sardonicus >> dude!!! I literally got through high school listening to that album so much. It had several great tunes on it. Some of them include "Nature's Way", Animal Zoo, Prelude Nothing to Hide, and one of my all time Spirit favorites "Morning Will Come".

Ed Cassidy the bald headed drummer was actually Randy California's step dad and was really the brains behind that band. Local radio stations here in KC still play "I Got A Line ON You" quite a lot during the course of a year. Which was on another one of Spirit's great albums. A group that sprung off of them known as Jo Jo Gunne did a great concert here in KC back in the 70s. Jay Ferguson in that group was also a genius. I just loved the "Twelve Dreams of Dr. Sardonicus" >> it was in my all time top 10 albums ever.

I'm with you on The Twelve Dreams of Dr. Sardonicus. There are several great songs on that album. I was lucky in that my initial musical tastes were shaped by both my older bro (who was a guitarist since the '60s) and older sis, and at an age where most of the other kids my age were NOT into music at all, other than maybe cartoon music and kiddie songs. My siblings shared some musical tastes and differed in others, so I got a lot of exposure literally from the crib. By the time Dr. Sardonicus came out, my musical tastes had already been evolving by age 7 or so. I loved the songs, even though I couldn't comprehend the meaning behind them. In an era that had so much great music, Dr. Sardonicus still stood out as an outstanding album.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 2:38 am
James Y wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 3:57 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 11:52 am
Again I mention the one British band that was truly huge over in Europe in the 70s, 80s and the early part of the 90s and that is Roxy Music. There was a time that anywhere in Europe it was close to impossible to get a good ticket to see Roxy Music and their lead singer Bryan Ferry was about as well known and even better liked than Mick Jagger over in Europe but for some strange reason they just never really got past first base here in the USA :confused: Some other super European bands like The Pentangle, The Strawbs, Steeleye Span, Fairport Convention and SLADE were huge stars over there but here in the USA they maybe had a cult following at best :confused: .

Yeah I know what you mean about the Bee Gees :rolleyes: they were just too much Top 40 and somewhat bubble-gum in my opinion. Which is strange in a way that they sold as many records as they did. Of course timing was everything when you think about it. Because had Alice Cooper hit the scene ten years earlier or even 5 years later he would not have gone over really big like he did in the late 60s/early 70s. And speaking of Alice Cooper he wasn't nearly as popular across the pond as he was here in the USA. You could probably say that for at the Detroit bands I'm sure.
Yeah, I get why it's puzzling that some groups or individuals never gained much of a foothold while others went over the top. Personally, I don't mind some 'bubble gum' so long as I can enjoy something about it. I remember back when radio music stations combined multiple genres and styles. Funk, 'bubble gum', soft rock, hard rock, even some crossover country-Western songs. Especially in the '70s I was exposed to it all.

Jim
yeah Jim I sort see what you mean>> because back in the day a bunch of my buddies used to give me a hard time because I actually really liked some of the old stuff of the Jackson Five ( Michael Jackson's old group). But I did run around with a heavy metal, hard rock crowd back in the day and it's understandable why some of the guys regarded the stuff of the Jackson Five as being kind of "bubble gumish". I liked Michael a lot better in the old Motown days than I did with his stuff in the 80s & 90s. Although I did think that Billy Jean and Beat it were both kind of snappy.

I never really liked Country & Western all the much either but I did have a few exceptions in that genre which included Tony Jo White, Jerry Reed, Garth Brooks and the Man in Black Johnny Cash will have my respect forever.
Joe, I completely agree with you on Michael Jackson. I also liked his early stuff with the Jackson 5 MUCH better than his later stuff. Even then I was never really a fan of his, but the first Jackson 5 song I heard was 'I Want You Back', and it still reminds me of when I was going into the 1st grade (when the song came out). TBH, the first time I heard it, I thought it was a little girl doing the singing. It was quite remarkable, because up 'til then, AFAIK there were no young kids singing hit songs on the radio; he was the first. The later MJ song I liked the most was 'Thriller', much of which had to do with Vincent Price's voice-over at the end.

I've never been a country-Western fan myself, but there were a couple (or a few) that crossed over and were played on the popular music stations that I liked. More like they grew on me. :)

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

https://youtu.be/XUNgQ03D2qA

Girl With No Eyes has a sound that I've always found reminiscent of knights, maidens and British castles:
https://youtu.be/e7ixKWmYux8

Jim
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

James Y wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 8:04 am

Girl With No Eyes has a sound that I've always found reminiscent of knights, maidens and British castles:
JIm I am so grateful that you brought up one of my most loved groups of all time. And that is the old San Francisco band known as "It's A Beautiful Day"
In the early 70s I saw them three times here in KC. The first time I seen them was in the fall of 1971 at a concert hall we had here in KC known as "The FREEDOM PALCE". There were 3 of us who went to that first Beautiful Day concert and it was so great that they immediately became one of my most favorite bands of all time. The acoustics at FREEDOM PALACE were absolutely outstanding. A good friend of mine got to see Johnny Winter there about a month after we seen Beautiful Day. He said that Johnny Winter had the crowd literally going berserk :D .

We got an old guy here in Kansas City who has an old school "head shop" here in KC that sells everything in the hippy and/or rock music genre. He also sells a lot of those old underground comics like Mr. Natural, Fritz The Cat, The Furry Freak Brothers and Zap Comix. And he calls the store "It's A Beautiful Day" He's even had some of the old band members of Beautiful Day come to his store about 5 years ago and they say that the turnout of people was massive.

I think had about 4 of It's A Beautiful Day" albums>> but none of them were as good as their first one. That album easily goes into my top 20 favorite albums of all time. And dude!!! they put on a super fantastic show each time I saw them. David LaFlamme is truly a genius with the violin. There isn't one mediocre musician in that entire band. It was a real heartbreaker when that superb woman vocalist they had named Patti Santos who got killed in a high speed car accident in the late 80s. She had a voice even better than Joan Baez IMO. It's so incredible that Beautiful Day still tours from time to time. I've seen a couple of their recent Youtube videos but needless to say they are just a skeleton of what they once were. But that album is immortal IMO.
James Y

Post by James Y »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 2:30 pm
James Y wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 8:04 am

JIm I am so grateful that you brought up one of my most loved groups of all time. And that is the old San Francisco band known as "It's A Beautiful Day"
In the early 70s I saw them three times here in KC. The first time I seen them was in the fall of 1971 at a concert hall we had here in KC known as "The FREEDOM PALCE". There were 3 of us who went to that first Beautiful Day concert and it was so great that they immediately became one of my most favorite bands of all time. The acoustics at FREEDOM PALACE were absolutely outstanding. A good friend of mine got to see Johnny Winter there about a month after we seen Beautiful Day. He said that Johnny Winter had the crowd literally going berserk :D .

We got an old guy here in Kansas City who has an old school "head shop" here in KC that sells everything in the hippy and/or rock music genre. He also sells a lot of those old underground comics like Mr. Natural, Fritz The Cat, The Furry Freak Brothers and Zap Comix. And he calls the store "It's A Beautiful Day" He's even had some of the old band members of Beautiful Day come to his store about 5 years ago and they say that the turnout of people was massive.

I think had about 4 of It's A Beautiful Day" albums>> but none of them were as good as their first one. That album easily goes into my top 20 favorite albums of all time. And dude!!! they put on a super fantastic show each time I saw them. David LaFlamme is truly a genius with the violin. There isn't one mediocre musician in that entire band. It was a real heartbreaker when that superb woman vocalist they had named Patti Santos who got killed in a high speed car accident in the late 80s. She had a voice even better than Joan Baez IMO. It's so incredible that Beautiful Day still tours from time to time. I've seen a couple of their recent Youtube videos but needless to say they are just a skeleton of what they once were. But that album is immortal IMO.
Thanks for sharing that, Joe! Yes, I had heard about Patti Santos' untimely death. Her vocals were truly beautiful.

I had a bunch of those San Francisco underground comix, including some of all of those titles. Especially a lot of "The Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers" and "Zap" comix. There used to be a comic book shop around here circa 1976-78, and the manager used to let me buy some of them, even though I was only 13 when I started with underground comix, and they were for 18 and older. Because I was in there all the time and always bought back issues of Marvel Comics. Those "comix" we're certainly not PC by today's standards, lol. R. Crumb's art really impressed me, even though some of his stuff was kinda gross. :)

My apologies for going completely OT.

Jim
Extra330SC

Post by Extra330SC »

https://youtu.be/40Y0K0b8z0M
James Y

Post by James Y »

Beach Baby, by the short-lived British group First Class, was clearly inspired by the Beach Boys' early/mid-'60s hits. It was a retro-style hit, as it came out in 1974 but had that early to mid-60s sound. I remember I was 11 when this song came out. TBH, I was never a fan of the Beach Boys themselves, but I always liked the Beach Boys-inspired Beach Baby. It reminds me of going to the beach every day back in the mid-70s. For the longest time I thought First Class must be a CA band, and only learned years later that they were British, and that the song was recorded in the UK.

https://youtu.be/WpsmHfDqsl8

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

https://youtu.be/ipqqEFoJPL4

Jim
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

James Y wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 7:54 pm
https://youtu.be/ipqqEFoJPL4

Jim
Jim I've got one that will baffle you for sure. Back in the mid 70s when I saw Blue Oyster Cult for the very first time they were liteally a back up band for ACDC>> and at that time ACDC was not a household name like they have been for years. At that time not many people really knew who ACDC were here in the USA at that time. They had just released their second album on that tour and they opened with a song called "Down Payment Blues" which can be seen on Youtube. Again they were the main act that night and Blue Oyster Cult played that evening as their back up band. Also there was a band by the name of ANGEL who played first that evening out of the three. That was either in late 1976 or early 1977 I'll have to see if I can find that ticket stub because I've kept a lot of them over the years.

But it is really hard to fathom that Blue Oyster Cult was a back up band>> now at that time they had just released their Agents of Fortune album which had the "Reaper" on it and that got them pretty well known. That was the tour they were on. I never will forget how loud ACDC was the very first time I seen them. It was loud dude!!!
Extra330SC

Post by Extra330SC »

https://youtu.be/qcWKZTI9OC4
Extra330SC

Post by Extra330SC »

https://youtu.be/oFkzZHIcgFs
James Y

Post by James Y »

https://youtu.be/JoZLdivjgjE