MagnaCut Corrosion Resistance testing thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
James Y

Re: MagnaCut Corrosion Resistance testing thread

Post by James Y »

Wow, this is great! When this thread began, I had not expected Magnacut to do so well as to be at least on par with LC200N in terms of corrosion resistance.

Jim
nattynarwhal

Post by nattynarwhal »

So essentially magnacut is 4v with the corrosion resistance of Lc200n… that’s incredibly impressive. Just out of curiosity, have you tried this test with Vanax? In theory, vanax should be more stainless than either magnacut or Lc200n. I doubt we’ll ever see it in a production knife due to supply and cost issues but I still have an academic interest in knowing how it performs relative to these steels.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I wonder if both of these steels would benefit from a good high speed buffing to maybe remove any trace of metal transfer from the manufacturing process?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Wow! That's pretty incredible for both steels. Thanks for taking the time Lance. Depending on how cost shapes up, not sure LC200N has a clear path forward.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Soanso McMasters

Post by Soanso McMasters »

Awesome testing! So how would one go about affixing handles in order to take advantage of the Magnacut Mule Team’s Salt capabilities while avoiding galvanic corrosion from the hardware? Is there coated hardware available anywhere? Is there an easy way to coat it one’s self?
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Thanks for taking the time Lance.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Wow!
Thanks for the update, Lance.

This steel seem to be hitting above what I would dare to hope for, in all departments.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

More confirmation that this is the only steel I will ever need.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

That's just an epic test.
Once my handles are made I only plan to abuse the edge at most, and compare with other steels.
You're in a league of your own !
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Larrin

Post by Larrin »

Wow, pretty impressive results
http://www.KnifeSteelNerds.com - Steel Metallurgy topics related to knives
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I was speaking with my friend Chad Kelly today about these results and he hinted to me that the results in this test might not technically be “galvanic corrosion”. My understanding of the chemical process of galvanic corrosion is kindergarten level at best so hopefully Chad will come join the conversation with his observations. Or maybe Larrin if he reads this?

Though I’m uncertain about the chemical process of actual galvanic corrosion, I still did this test for a specific reason. Any time I have been able to make a Salt knife show any type of corrosion, the corrosion started with the hardware. The rust from the hardware would bleed onto the steel and if it stayed there long enough it would start to corrode the knife steel in a way that even unlimited exposure to salt water would not. I have experienced this phenomenon equally with lc200n, Magnacut and Vanax, all of them to a similar level, and the results were easily replicated in this short test. The only steel that seems to be more or less pervious to even this type of corrosion is H1.

So, it is a worthwhile question IMO to consider what is actually causing this chemical process, because it is the reason for almost any rust scenario that might occur in a salt knife. Chad is way ahead of me on this stuff so hopefully he will chime in. If this is not “galvanic corrosion” then it would be interesting to understand why the corrosion and rust of one steel is so corrosive to another steel that is otherwise “corrosion proof”. Thanks in advance to anyone who can step in with some knowledge.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

It's probably also worth noting the rust prone nature of a nail vs any decent stainless hardware that would be significantly less likely to rust as quickly, much less a coated stainless. I think this issue can be eliminated with those two details in production.

If possible what I'd really like to see is this exact test but with actual production Salt knife hardware instead of the nail, and maybe even bolt or screw it into place as it would be on a folder. Would you have access to scale screws or anything like that from a Caribbean that you could screw to the handle holes and see how they react?

Hey Sal, do you have a production MagnaCut Native 5 Salt to test yet or is the reveal pic just a Photoshop? I feel like even with as well as this test has gone, a folder has so many more moving parts that the potential is higher and most of us will likely be using this steel in folders.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
sal

Post by sal »

Hi David,

Yes, I had a Native Salt early on, tested it and was pleased with the results. I also have a Sage 5 with MC and the MC Mule. The future will be interesting. I also carry a serrated Pacific quite a bit.

sal
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Pac Salt in Magnacut! My heart sings tonight.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

More impressive results, even if not properly speaking a true test of galvanic corrosion.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
vivi

Post by vivi »

sal wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:11 pm
Hi David,

Yes, I had a Native Salt early on, tested it and was pleased with the results. I also have a Sage 5 with MC and the MC Mule. The future will be interesting. I also carry a serrated Pacific quite a bit.

sal
Serrated Magnacut Pacific Salt, or one of the existing models? Exciting news if it's a MC Pacific!
:unicorn
sal

Post by sal »

My Pacific Salt is H1. Works very well.

sal
bjz

Post by bjz »

Wait, sage 5 in MC?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

bjz wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:21 pm
Wait, sage 5 in MC?

I'd be not too sure that this will happen.

Seems like the Sage 5 LW gets to be "just" an intern testing platform sometimes, but not necessarily with regular production in mind...

I could of course be wrong though in this case!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Yeah but one can hope. I could be done buying knives if there's a native and a sage in MC (ok who am I kidding, of course I'd buy more, but it would slow me down).