GP Knives Exclusive Para 3 LW: Rex45, White FRN

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sn0wman72

Re: GP Knives Exclusive Para 3 LW: Rex45, White FRN

Post by sn0wman72 »

Really like the all black hardware...
metaphoricalsimile

Post by metaphoricalsimile »

z1r wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:51 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:20 pm
z1r wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:05 pm
Do the FRN versions open and close as easily as the G10 versions?
Mine are all pretty good but the G10 versions have better actions and are easier to dial in
Thanks, appreciate the reply. Kinda figured that might be the case. At the risk of incurring other's wrath, the knife's (Para 3) action is really the only appealing quality to me. I like the steel this one is offered in, and really want a smaller knife than my M2 is Rex45, but not sure this is the one for me. Hmm. Still undecided, lol.
I don't have a G10 variant to compare it to, but I have my P3LWs dialed in to drop shut and swing freely without any blade play. I can't imagine an action being easier to open or close than that.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

nerdlock wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:42 pm
RamZar wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:01 pm
Para3 Lightweight CPM-REX45 Black DLC Blade White FRN C223PWHBK GP Knives (USA) in stock on Tuesday, November 9, 2021 at 11:00am CT for $136.50. All hardware, compression lock and clip are Black DLC Coated.

Hey Ram,

Is there any confirmation that the hardware and most especially, the wire clip, will be DLC-coated and not just painted on?

I couldn't find concrete info on GP knives, it only states "matching black hardware and clip".

The black coating on the wire clip I have on my Cruwear D'Fly have already rubbed off despite light carry in the 5th pocket where the clip isn't entirely exposed to the elements at all. Made me order replacement wire clips from Lynch NW to prevent the rubbing off of the black coating on my Lil' Native clips.

Not 100% sure. I based it on another US made with DLC.

I emailed GPK and they responded: "Spyderco says the blade is DLC coated and it has matching black hardware. Most likely only the blade is DLC and the hardware is their standard black finish they normally use in their Para line."

Note: The Black coatings on the Dragonfly is TiCN which is not as good as the more expensive DLC.
Last edited by RamZar on Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Love this combo of White FRN and black blade and Rex45! I dislike the model unfortunately. REALLY hoping they carry this over into the Seki models. This combo in the Endela, Endura, Delica, Dragonfly, and Jester would all be instant buys and multiples of each more than likely for me.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
z1r

Post by z1r »

steelcity16 wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:15 am
Love this combo of White FRN and black blade and Rex45! I dislike the model unfortunately. REALLY hoping they carry this over into the Seki models. This combo in the Endela, Endura, Delica, Dragonfly, and Jester would all be instant buys and multiples of each more than likely for me.
Yeah, I'd be down for a PM2 but, after tonight's experience with the clip literally falling off my Para 3, I'm beginning to have some buyer's remorse.

I've never been thrilled with the shape of the Para 3 but thought the LW Rex45 version would make me overlook that dislike. This Para 3 is no where near as easy to operate as either of my PM2's. Seems the compression lock requires too much effort and isn't consistent. One time it will open and close easily, the next, it flicks open but not closed. I find my index finger hurting after just a few open/close cycles. Not so with the PM 2. The blades on my PM2's will fall open and drop closed by simply pressing the tab. On the Para3 it seems like the lock isn't fully disengaging and is dragging on the blade unless you really crush the tab.
Senfkarte

Post by Senfkarte »

z1r wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:59 pm
steelcity16 wrote:
Yeah, I'd be down for a PM2 but, after tonight's experience with the clip literally falling off my Para 3, I'm beginning to have some buyer's remorse.

I've never been thrilled with the shape of the Para 3 but thought the LW Rex45 version would make me overlook that dislike. This Para 3 is no where near as easy to operate as either of my PM2's. Seems the compression lock requires too much effort and isn't consistent. One time it will open and close easily, the next, it flicks open but not closed. I find my index finger hurting after just a few open/close cycles. Not so with the PM 2. The blades on my PM2's will fall open and drop closed by simply pressing the tab. On the Para3 it seems like the lock isn't fully disengaging and is dragging on the blade unless you really crush the tab.
Maybe try lubing the path of the detent ball. I had a PM2, I disassembled two or three times because opening and closing was really rough and felt awful, and I tried to find burrs or other factors, that could cause this. A little lube on the ball path made all the difference in the world. Could not believe how big the influence of the ball can be.
But to be honest, your problem sounds, as it would originate from somewhere else. But it is an easy try, so who knows.
z1r

Post by z1r »

Senfkarte wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:08 pm
z1r wrote:
steelcity16 wrote:

Maybe try lubing the path of the detent ball. I had a PM2, I disassembled two or three times because opening and closing was really rough and felt awful, and I tried to find burrs or other factors, that could cause this. A little lube on the ball path made all the difference in the world. Could not believe how big the influence of the ball can be.
But to be honest, your problem sounds, as it would originate from somewhere else. But it is an easy try, so who knows.
I'll give that a try. If I hold the knife weird, and use my thumb to depress that tab, it is all kinds of drop shutty. Just can't get it to depress far enough consistently using my index finger. Seems to me like the tab just isn't fully disengaging the lock. I'll be honest, the primary reason I bought the knife was because of the fidget factor, without that, the steel alone isn't enough to make it appealing enough to keep. I'll keep after it to see what I can do to resolve it.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

z1r wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:32 pm
Senfkarte wrote:
z1r wrote:
steelcity16 wrote:

I'll give that a try. If I hold the knife weird, and use my thumb to depress that tab, it is all kinds of drop shutty. Just can't get it to depress far enough consistently using my index finger. Seems to me like the tab just isn't fully disengaging the lock. I'll be honest, the primary reason I bought the knife was because of the fidget factor, without that, the steel alone isn't enough to make it appealing enough to keep. I'll keep after it to see what I can do to resolve it.
This is all so a$$ backwards. My thoughts on fidgeting and "drop shutty" are well known :nauseated ... but saying that Rex45 isn't appealing when it's quite comparable, or even better in certain areas than other steels you rave about all the time...that's odd and confusing. Not just saying that because I personally prefer Rex45 to most steels, reading all that was just weird to me. Not keeping a knife because it doesn't play enough like a toy, but has a premium steel at a great price. :exploding-head :spiral-eyes
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
z1r

Post by z1r »

Sorry, I don't typically buy a steel in a platform that I'm not fond of. Why would I? Sort of like being a bolt action rifle aficionado but buying a semi-auto just because it is chambered in a cartridge you want to try.

Not trying to be contrary, but I guess I just liked the PM2 so much, especially it's action, that I wanted/expected the Para 3 to behave similarly. So, when it didn't and I am left with a knife that, excepting the steel, doesn't appeal to me, I see it residing in my dresser draw, not being used.

I admit, I probably made a mistake in selecting the Para 3 as it has never really appealed to me. I guess caved in and fell for the allure of steel and the Impression the PM 2 left on me.

Oddly, I'm not normally one to select something just for fidget factor. My 20CV M2 lightweight is no where near drop shutty, compared to my Rex45 M2, but that never bothered me because the knife itself fits me so well and carries nicely.

Like I said, I took a gamble, rolled the dice, and lost on this one. No biggie really. If I can't warm up to it, I'm sure some one else will like it.

I know other who love the Para 3 and probably wouldn't have any issues with this knife. That said, I love the Native 5, and have wanted one in Maxamet for some time, but if acquired one and the back lock didn't work, I wouldn't keep it just because of the blade steel. Make sense?

I guess if the action was more consistent, I'd be happy enough and content to live with my perceived shortcomings of the Para 3. I made one bad choice out of the MANY Spydercos I've purchased. No biggie, I think that speaks well for the company that they can produce so many awesome knives.
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

•• Beau
lilshaver

Post by lilshaver »

Well I will not be in that stampede. While I love the REX45 steel I am not into the Para3, so this is an easy miss for me. I did purchase one Para3 in S90V because I liked the steel and I did not have this model. But one is enough for me.
Team Sick

Post by Team Sick »

Picked up one. Really interested on how it looks and feels in person. I like the color combo and Rex45. I might dye the scales if needed, or maybe not. I've heard pro's and con's about the Para3 lw format from reviewers regarding centering and action. But, it's a production knife and not a custom, so it might need some "fine tuning". Looking forward to it's arrival.
jdw

Post by jdw »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:51 pm
z1r wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:32 pm
Senfkarte wrote:
z1r wrote:

This is all so a$$ backwards. My thoughts on fidgeting and "drop shutty" are well known :nauseated ... but saying that Rex45 isn't appealing when it's quite comparable, or even better in certain areas than other steels you rave about all the time...that's odd and confusing. Not just saying that because I personally prefer Rex45 to most steels, reading all that was just weird to me. Not keeping a knife because it doesn't play enough like a toy, but has a premium steel at a great price. :exploding-head :spiral-eyes
I completely agree with you on most counts. I mean, they are advertising the knife as a toy. That is absurd to me.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka